Commision on Local Government Structure
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:24:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Commision on Local Government Structure
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Commision on Local Government Structure  (Read 804 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2004, 06:26:11 AM »

I hearby appoint myself head of the CLGS. The CLGS will investigate current local government structure* and propose a new structure. I will draw maps.
The CLGS would like the co-operation of the Governers, the Parties and the new Administration.
The CLGS would like some Assistent Commisioners with some knowledge of local government structures.

But why is this needed? Three reasons:

1. To increase pseudo-realism
2. To parody the mess that is U.K Local Government
3. Because there aren't enough offices for all the very ambitious politicians here. Admittedly being Leader of West Texas District Council isn't as good as being Senator for District whatever, but running a fiefdom into the ground is kinda fun.

*None
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 06:32:45 AM »

O.K... rule one:

"No Local Authority shall extend over two Regions unless the Governers of said Regions agree to this"
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 06:36:05 AM »

Rule Two:

"Whole Counties will be used as the smallest building block for each Authority"
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 09:18:45 AM »

Interesting. I recommend going with the idea of state mayorships, and leave it at that, or maybe having districts within states for mayorships, based on population. Your first two rules do make sense though...
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 12:08:27 PM »

If you create enough positions for everyone, what's the point in holding one?  This is silly, we dont need 50 governmental positions just because we have 50 people.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 12:13:18 PM »

I'll join, if you wish, seeing as I have nothing else to do.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 12:30:58 PM »

The Union Party opposes this idea until at least another 50-100 voters join the forum.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 12:38:58 PM »

Dear Commissioner Structure:
  The Governor's Office will of course examine any proposal for improved governence, but given the lack of demand on the part of the Southeastern Region for subregional government, it is likely that such a proposal will not be acted upon at this time.  If we can be of any further assistance, Local, please feel free to contact us.
Heywood U. Buzov
Clerk of the Governor's Office
Niles Caulder

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 01:03:47 PM »

A thought that's occured to me recently from participating in dialogue regarding the Regional Constitution:

It's been mentioned that citizens are themselves defacto legislators given the ballot intitiative systems of the state.  Really there's no substantive difference in formalizing that arrangement.

Constitutionally allocating regional legislators in which perhaps most citizens will be members of will provide more titles for forum members, who can be as active or lazy as they wish.

An advantage I see to the idea is that it would go ahead and have the legislative represenative branch in place as the population of Atlasia grows to need one.  But in the meantime, the "legislature" can be set to have a certain number of 'maximum' seats, but function with far smaller quorums depending on varying levels of the citizens per region.

Just a thought.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2004, 03:51:54 PM »

I'll join, if you wish, seeing as I have nothing else to do.

Excellent
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2004, 03:57:53 PM »

The only way state goverments would work is if their "mayors" were used as advisors to their regional governor as either a cabinet or legislature.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 04:00:29 PM »

The only way state goverments would work is if their "mayors" were used as advisors to their regional governor as either a cabinet or legislature.

Who said anything about state government?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2004, 04:01:59 PM »

Local government = State by State Mayors...
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2004, 05:11:17 PM »

The proposal I was going to put forward if I lose the Senate Election was that any state over a pop. of 5 gets a Mayor. States can merge to get a mayor, so ME, NH, and VT. And Mayors were going to be elected along with Governors, like the Senators and President are now, but the Mayors would be elected every 4 months. In the Northeast they would be encouraged to create Region legislation, propose solutions and bring to the attention of elected officials other problems. Those were my ideas, but we'll see.

Siege
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2004, 05:30:46 PM »

Local government = State by State Mayors...

In certain cases, yes. In others, no.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2004, 08:22:54 PM »

The proposal I was going to put forward if I lose the Senate Election was that any state over a pop. of 5 gets a Mayor. States can merge to get a mayor, so ME, NH, and VT. And Mayors were going to be elected along with Governors, like the Senators and President are now, but the Mayors would be elected every 4 months. In the Northeast they would be encouraged to create Region legislation, propose solutions and bring to the attention of elected officials other problems. Those were my ideas, but we'll see.

Siege

I'd support this, but if a state has more then 5 people it doesnt get another mayor; basically once it gets to 5 it gets a mayor, and anything above that doesn't count. Also, this'd m,ean composite local government regions could have more then 5 people exactly, or whatever Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2004, 06:27:05 AM »

O.K... here are some very rough first ideas:

1. Most States will be empowered as State Borough Councils. They will have powers over local administration, planning and so on. The citizens of each State Borough may choose a Mayoral system, a Mayor-Council system or a Council system.

2. Smaller states will be merged into Union Borough Councils. A State can leave a UBC if a majority of it's Citizens decide to go it alone.
The same electoral and administrative rules as SBC's apply.

3. Areas with serious economic, development and poverty problems will have their own councils, with powers to try to do something about it.
They may cross state lines, but the authority of the SBC's will remain inside the parts of those councils which contain parts of that SBC.

Comments needed... this is a very rough first draft...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies