why is California's Democratic establishment rallying hard to defeat prop 19?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:06:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  why is California's Democratic establishment rallying hard to defeat prop 19?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: why is California's Democratic establishment rallying hard to defeat prop 19?  (Read 2639 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2010, 05:27:11 PM »

even Gavin Newsom... painful stuff for those with sense and feeling.  it would be nice to see Brown Newsom and Boxer get trashed while 19 sneaks by. 
Dgov
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »

even Gavin Newsom... painful stuff for those with sense and feeling.  it would be nice to see Brown Newsom and Boxer get trashed while 19 sneaks by. 

My bet is that it polls badly with Minorities, and it might give Whitman or Fiorina some traction with them if they oppose it while the Democrats support it.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »

It would be nicer to see Boxer, Brown and Newsom all win, with Prop 19 winning in a landslide.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 05:32:18 PM »

My bet is that it polls badly with Minorities, and it might give Whitman or Fiorina some traction with them if they oppose it while the Democrats support it.

there's not conclusive evidence on that, at least with blacks, but then again they make up only what, 5% of the CA electorate nowadays so who cares. it says a lot about the indoctrination system that minorities would even consider opposing such a measure given what drug laws have done to them in this country for the past 40 years.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:47:22 PM »

there's not conclusive evidence on that, at least with blacks, but then again they make up only what, 5% of the CA electorate nowadays so who cares. it says a lot about the indoctrination system that minorities would even consider opposing such a measure given what drug laws have done to them in this country for the past 40 years.

I'm guessing that people who have been hosed by drug laws are severely underrepresented in the electorate, for a few different reasons.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 01:54:16 AM »

Not nice at all. Electing Fiorina and Whitman isn't going to help matters.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 01:58:05 AM »

It would be nicer to see Boxer, Brown and Newsom all win, with Prop 19 winning in a landslide.

Which would be ridiculous considering all three of those Democrats are against Prop 19, hence the whole point of this thread...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:05:42 AM »

So electing Fiorina and Whitman who are obviously so strongly for Prop 19 would be so much better... Roll Eyes
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 08:43:17 PM »

Like with gay issues, the political class is wildly out of step with the public on drug issues.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 08:54:15 PM »

So electing Fiorina and Whitman who are obviously so strongly for Prop 19 would be so much better... Roll Eyes

The Democrats are supposed to be the "youthful" and "in-touch" party. What a joke. At least the authoritarian Republicans aren't shameless hypocrites on this issue. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 09:16:57 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2010, 09:18:34 PM by Tie a Rope to the Back of the Bus »

If Prop 19 passes, it won't matter what the candidates and elected officials said earlier. Diane Feinstein really pissed me off though co-chairing the campaign against it, which goes far beyond simply saying to vote no.

In other news though, the California Council of Churches actually endorsed a "Yes" vote on Prop 19.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 02:27:39 PM »

Democratic officials aren't uniformly against Prop 19, but the ones nominated for important positions are. It's disappointing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 09:03:41 PM »

I have no idea, and I suspect we are missing something here. But maybe it is just a salience to the base matter, with the stoners doing just fine with their medical marijuana licenses. Or maybe the Dems don't want the extra revenue from taxing the THC, because they want to soak the rich some more.

As I say, I have no idea, but it deserves further investigation. And just who is the Dem establishment again?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 10:47:24 PM »

^^^^^
Dgov
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 11:23:48 PM »

Maybe they're afraid all their voters will get stoned on Election day and won't turn out. Smiley

Seriously though, you have to consider that Drug legalization is a very Libertarian position, and Democrats are running as Liberals.  It's not exactly jaw-dropping that they might oppose it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 11:31:35 PM »

Maybe they're afraid all their voters will get stoned on Election day and won't turn out. Smiley

Seriously though, you have to consider that Drug legalization is a very Libertarian position, and Democrats are running as Liberals.  It's not exactly jaw-dropping that they might oppose it.

Drug legalization fits nicely in the liberal paradigm as well. The issue is that Democrats don't have the guts necessary to push for something like marijuana legalization.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 04:56:12 PM »

While I will be voting for Prop. 19, I'd gladly trade it passing for having Brown and Boxer win.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 09:32:48 PM »

While I will be voting for Prop. 19, I'd gladly trade it passing for having Brown and Boxer win.

you'd trade the lives of thousands or tens of thousands of people for the salvation of career politicians? my sympathies lie with the incarcerated.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 10:04:35 PM »

you'd trade the lives of thousands or tens of thousands of people for the salvation of career politicians? my sympathies lie with the incarcerated.

Is it that many? Medical marijuana is already legal, and the penalties for pot are relatively lenient here, so I'm not sure how this is affecting that many lives. It's more of a revenue issue, since Prop. 19 would tax it. Prop. 19 would raise an additional $1 billion a year in taxes. Meg Whitman wants to eliminate the capital gains tax, which would cost California $6 billion a year.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 10:50:18 PM »

The penalty for marijuana possession in California is like a $100 fine. Of course it should be nothing, but it's not resulting in tons of people being locked up. Anyway the scenario is a false dichotomy regardless.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies