Counties by Ideology - CA, CO, ME, MO, NV, OR, WA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:24:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Counties by Ideology - CA, CO, ME, MO, NV, OR, WA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Counties by Ideology - CA, CO, ME, MO, NV, OR, WA  (Read 5676 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
« edited: September 09, 2010, 06:59:16 PM by realisticidealist »

I attempted to discern the ideology of each county in Washington by analyzing the results of every referenda result since 2000 that we have on the Atlas. The results for a few counties went against what I thought they would be, but that could have been a result of my methodology and the limited sample size (especially for social issues), though I was pleasantly surprised that some of my feelings were born out (about counties like Skamania, Wahkiakum, Whitman, etc.). Hopefully another Washingtonian could judge how accurate these maps are.

On the top maps, Red is liberal and blue is conservative. On the bottom maps, the four colors correspond to the four quadrants of the political matrix.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 12:56:13 AM »

This is interesting. I may try it for California.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:04:22 AM »

I would consider Whatcom to be socially liberal, though I suppose it is likely that Bellingham's turnout is lower during odd-year elections, allowing the crazies in Lynden to have more influence.

I don't know if "Communitarian" is the right word for Whitman. WSU totally and completely dominates the county---any threat to the funding of WSU is swiftly rejected by their voters. They kind of remind me of Alaska---"conservative" unless the massive amount of money being poured in is in jeopardy.

I do not consider the coastal counties (Grays Harbor and Pacific in particular) to be "Libertarian." They are old fashioned Democrats (Especially Grays Harbor) that strike me as communitarian more than any of the other options. But I suppose the initiative results don't lie? Tongue

It's a very cool idea, though. Smiley
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:32:26 AM »

I would consider Whatcom to be socially liberal, though I suppose it is likely that Bellingham's turnout is lower during odd-year elections, allowing the crazies in Lynden to have more influence.

I don't know if "Communitarian" is the right word for Whitman. WSU totally and completely dominates the county---any threat to the funding of WSU is swiftly rejected by their voters. They kind of remind me of Alaska---"conservative" unless the massive amount of money being poured in is in jeopardy.

I do not consider the coastal counties (Grays Harbor and Pacific in particular) to be "Libertarian." They are old fashioned Democrats (Especially Grays Harbor) that strike me as communitarian more than any of the other options. But I suppose the initiative results don't lie? Tongue

It's a very cool idea, though. Smiley

That’s what my feelings going in mostly were too. However, I think part of the reason that it turned out the way it did was because most of the economic initiatives and referenda were regarding taxes, and while Pacific and Grays Harbor like things like regulations, they don’t seem to be particularly fond of taxes, and fairly often vote more like Eastern Washington on those.

Of course, Whitman was something of the opposite in this regard. Although, despite their reasons, they do vote more liberally on economic issues in general. For Whatcom, the county was only ever so slightly on the conservative side of the social spectrum, which was definitely because their were very few social referenda as opposed to economic ones in the database.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 09:28:33 AM »

Interesting. Smiley
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 01:05:24 PM »

There is a certain type of populist white voter who will get mad that taxes and spending are too high, but is still largely pro-union and protectionist. Calling these people "libertarian" on economic issues doesn't capture it really.

Grays Harbor and Pacific have stayed Dem in every presidential election since the rise of broadly contemporary cultural politics in the 1960's, even through the depths of McGovern and Mondale and the more recent problems in some traditionally Dem areas. This is extremely rare for a white area outside big cities and college towns - otherwise it's mostly just the Iron Range, those two copper counties in Montana, the last Obama stragglers in coal country, and a few others dotted around the place. It can't just be "social" liberalism that would cause this.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 01:12:20 PM »

Surely Cowlitz County is full of economic lefties.

Whatcom and Skagit strike me as more social liberal than economic left, but they are both extremely polarized on social issues.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 01:27:13 PM »

Surely Cowlitz County is full of economic lefties.

Whatcom and Skagit strike me as more social liberal than economic left, but they are both extremely polarized on social issues.

Skagit seems like it has been a slightly communitarian-leaning area due to his relatively high hispanicity and its rural nature, but it has been moving to the left socially it seems. If we did this same test for the next ten years rather than the past ten, it would surely be different.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 02:07:20 PM »

Here is Oregon. Oregon had a lot more referenda that were won by the liberal side than Washington. I don't know if that was because of the issues or the years, but the map looks more liberal than I'd think it would normally be. Only two non-conservative/liberal counties, but they are ones that make sense. I thought Coos would be among them, but apparently they are like Pacific/Grays Harbor economically.

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 03:06:36 PM »

Colorado. Would have been nice to have had some more results for economic issues as the result was to the left of what I would have thought. Interestingly very few libertarian counties and a number more communitarian ones, especially in the Hispanic areas and in the Denver suburbs.

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 04:14:11 PM »

Please do MA, VT, ME? Smiley
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 04:16:46 PM »

As far as MA is concerned, every county would be green. Wink
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 04:20:21 PM »

California. There were a lot of counties that narrowly went one way over another. Humboldt, Lake, Nevada, and Trinity were almost libertarian. Fresno was barely communitarian, while Merced, Riverside, and San Joaquin barely missed.

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 04:25:14 PM »

Not my house, atleast! Tongue
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 04:51:57 PM »

Can we get VA, WV, NC, and SC por favor?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 05:11:49 PM »

Here's Maine. Very small sample size, so take it with a grain of salt. As I suspected, very few libertarian counties, but a few communitarian ones.

As for the other states mentioned, very few of them have any usable amount of referenda results to draw from, so I don't think I'll be able to get any significant results from them.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 05:16:09 PM »

Is Vermont possible?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 05:39:59 PM »

The Atlas doesn't have any referenda results for Vermont, and their SoS doesn't have any results, so I can't do anything with Vermont, unfortunately.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 06:07:30 PM »

Can you please do Nevada? Smiley
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 06:12:45 PM »

There is a certain type of populist white voter who will get mad that taxes and spending are too high, but is still largely pro-union and protectionist. Calling these people "libertarian" on economic issues doesn't capture it really.

Over here, those were the "Howard Battlers" who voted for Howard but were probably lower middle income, or middle income but in jobs requiring physical labour (like plumbers, electricians, carpenters, and other tradesmen). They also are sometimes called "Aspirational Voters" or simply "Aspirationals" because of their aspiration to move into larger houses and generally move up the social ladder. They live in mortgage-belt electorates and are wary of high levels of government debt, as this can influence interest rates, therefore they like to see reduced levels of spending. Because they work for a living, they don't like seeing too many handouts to the unemployed, etc, because they see it as having been paid for by their taxes.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 06:17:06 PM »

Missouri, since it had a fair few results, though I would have liked more economic results.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 06:41:06 PM »

Mid-Atlantic!  Mid-Atlantic!
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 06:58:58 PM »

Here is Nevada. Another small sample, though. Storey and Washoe ended up as I expected, though I'm not sure about White Pine.

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 07:00:34 PM »

None of the states you requested have very many referenda results on the Atlas. I think Virginia has the most, but even that is only three or four. Not nearly enough.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 07:02:13 PM »

None of the states you requested have very many referenda results on the Atlas. I think Virginia has the most, but even that is only three or four. Not nearly enough.

Cry
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies