It'll Rot Your Brain: Campaign Ads Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:35:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  It'll Rot Your Brain: Campaign Ads Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Author Topic: It'll Rot Your Brain: Campaign Ads Thread  (Read 30973 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 12:38:48 PM »

So Martinez's logic is that we should vote against Denish because some teacher supports her who had bad judgment with the guy she married at some point but left later anyway? Uh yeah.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 01:38:38 PM »

Where on earth did the GOP get the impression that anyone cares/knows who Nancy Pelosi is?

Probably from the same place President Obama got the impression that anyone cares/knows who John Boehner is.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 02:04:33 PM »

Where on earth did the GOP get the impression that anyone cares/knows who Nancy Pelosi is?

It's a midterm election, where you have a much higher information voter showing up at the polls. The people the ad is targeting know who Nancy Pelosi is. And they're pretty sure they don't like her.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 02:05:50 PM »

It's a midterm election, where you have a much higher information voter showing up at the polls. The people the ad is targeting know who Nancy Pelosi is. And they're pretty sure they don't like her.

Anyone who knows who Nancy Pelosi is will make up their own mind without a TV ad influencing them.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 02:31:39 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2010, 04:15:51 PM by HatesRights »

Anyone who knows who Nancy Pelosi is will make up their own mind without a TV ad influencing them.

If that's the case, then Democrats are severely fuggled in those yellow dog districts they're targeting.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 02:33:50 PM »

If that's the case, then Democrats are severely fucked in those yellow dog districts they're targeting.

Or you're vastly overestimating how much the average voter knows about national politics.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 02:38:18 PM »

If that's the case, then Democrats are severely fucked in those yellow dog districts they're targeting.

Or you're vastly overestimating how much the average voter knows about national politics.

I think you're the one vastly underestimating how much the average midterm voter knows about national politics.

You don't think they run these huge ad buys without doing messaging polls first, do you?
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 02:41:45 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2010, 02:49:29 PM by ajc0918 »

New Crist ad, "Line in the Sand"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IuEVPAs0ZY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3WcH76m_RU&feature=channel
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 02:49:18 PM »

I think you're the one vastly underestimating how much the average midterm voter knows about national politics.

You don't think they run these huge ad buys without doing messaging polls first, do you?

Err, so your logic is that political consultants who make ads must be correct? Simply assuming that someone's strategy is correct because they're in a position of power within a political campaign or organization makes little sense. These people are wrong a lot of the time (though to their credit, they're also correct a lot of the time).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »

Here is a Linda McMahon ad. I think she has a very good presence on TV - she comes across as strong, calm, and reassuring, somehow, who won't be pushed around by the boys in Washington.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 04:12:17 PM »

Here is a Linda McMahon ad. I think she has a very good presence on TV - she comes across as strong, calm, and reassuring, somehow, who won't be pushed around by the boys in Washington.

Say what you will about McMahon's abilities as a candidate, but her ad team has been top notch.  As you or someone else said, McMahon has a lot of experience in marketing a crap product - and it shows.  

Blumenthal's most recent ad, on the other hand, falls pretty flat to me - boring visuals and out of touch with what voters really care about.  Protecting Long Island Sound would be a great issue if so many Connecticut voters weren't out of work right now.

McMahon's ads are playing in pretty heavy rotation in the New York City TV market.  I've yet to see one of Blumenthal's, though I assume they're getting play in Hartford/New Haven and on cable
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 05:55:05 PM »

Say what you will about McMahon's abilities as a candidate, but her ad team has been top notch.  As you or someone else said, McMahon has a lot of experience in marketing a crap product - and it shows.  

If only 13-year-old boys could vote...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 07:24:54 PM »

I agree completely with Meeker that the national Republican strategy of hoping people care about Nancy Pelosi makes about as much sense as the current Democratic strategy to demonize Boehner. It plays well with the people making the ads, but I haven't seen any evidence of the strategy working in case studies where it was used heavily like PA-12's special
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 07:34:29 PM »

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/09/reids_next_target_angles_extre.html

yowzers!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 07:35:40 PM »

is clean energy the most popular idea from  Democrats?

edit :  ohhh, on second thought, it's probably the most popular Democratic thing that he has in his record
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 07:37:09 PM »

I just thought of a great campaign slogan for McMahon:

"We need a smackdown in Washington."
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 07:40:44 PM »

About as unthreatening as you can get, preempting the wwf stuff
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2010, 07:46:34 PM »

I'm actually starting to like her, despite her colorful past.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 07:53:15 AM »

DGA-backed group up with an ad hitting Baker on the Big Dig:

http://www.StopDiggingCharlie.com
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2010, 08:46:12 AM »

Apparently there's a Tea Party candidate in FL-08 who is spending $250,000 on TV ads. Here's her first one: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_politics/2010/09/cong-tea-party-candidate-dunmire-releases-1st-tv-ad.html
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2010, 10:38:21 AM »

He's a Democratic plant.

(He's a pollster for Alan Grayson).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2010, 04:06:51 PM »

Carnahan's new radio ad is my favorite thing ever: http://www.robincarnahan.com/page/s/radiosong
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2010, 06:27:28 PM »

I think a big Sestak buy in the Philly market must have just started a day or two ago; up to now all I'd seen was Toomey. (I'm going by just my impression from watching here; I haven't read anything official.)

I can't find them online, but one is an effective clip of Toomey saying he doesn't think there should be any corporate taxes at all with a voice over saying something like "Pat Toomey thinks you should have to pay all the taxes with big business paying nothing", and the other is a totally baffling thing all about derivatives (!?), which in addition to not explaining to the average voter what derivatives are, also contains the assertion that Toomey (if I remember the wording correctly) "pioneered derivatives on Wall Street", which I assume is flirting with the Al Gore internet zone.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2010, 11:23:03 AM »

Charlie Crist is a Flip flopper ad, brought to you by the US Chamber of Commerce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoHawVsJmEY

A great ad, IMHO. And it's been running here about three times already today.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2010, 11:29:47 AM »

It may be a waste of money to pound Crist anymore. The guy is an animated cadaver (in fact he looks a bit like he is in that condition actually).  He is just not relevant anymore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies