Was Alexander Hamilton Eligible for the Presidency?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:35:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Was Alexander Hamilton Eligible for the Presidency?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was Alexander Hamilton Eligible for the Presidency?  (Read 7969 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2010, 06:07:15 PM »

Or rather, was it an accepted fact at the time that he was eligible?  Because, it seems like there's some serious contention on the issue.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:11:23 PM »

He was a citizen at the time of ratification, so I'd assume he was eligible.  Not that he would have wanted it, of course.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:52:35 PM »

Or rather, was it an accepted fact at the time that he was eligible?  Because, it seems like there's some serious contention on the issue.

It absolutely was.  It's just that there was no chance in hell that he could've won even if he wanted the office.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 07:42:10 PM »

Why would he not be?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 08:14:31 PM »

He was born in the British West Indies, not in the territories that became the United States.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »

There was no contention on whether Hamilton was eligible.  The relevant clause is:

"No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President"

The restriction was there to keep the possibility that some foreign-born royal might be naturalized and made President.  That may seem laughable now, but considering that foreign-born royal houses were later put in place in a number of the Balkan countries when they gained independence from the Ottomans, or that Maximillian was imported to become Emperor of Mexico, it hardly was a concern without merit at the time.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 10:48:34 PM »

There was no contention on whether Hamilton was eligible.  The relevant clause is:

"No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President"

I think the clause was put in almost specifically to accommodate Hamilton. 

The was also the problem, arguably, that no one would be eligible until 1822.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I've never heard that before. 

That actually did become common in the Napoleonic period, but I never heard of it in 1787.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 02:11:44 AM »

That actually did become common in the Napoleonic period, but I never heard of it in 1787.

Personal unions have been common enough in the past. I think Napoleon was the first (and perhaps only) person to be ruler of a monarchy and a republic at the same time (between May 18, 1804 and March 17, 1805), but states had taken control of other states via personal union on many occasions.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 03:05:44 AM »

Alexander Hamilton was ineligible for the presidency, says my history professor.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »

Alexander Hamilton was ineligible for the presidency, says my history professor.

I would suggest only believing about 50% of what any so called "history professor" says.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 01:59:12 PM »

Ernest is right.

Though Hamilton was, in fact, ineligible in the first presidential election - he was not yet 35 years old.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 02:01:23 PM »

Yes, after he turned 35. He was a U.S. citizen when the Constitution was adopted.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 02:07:06 PM »

What about George Washington? When he was sworn in, the Declaration of Independence was less than 14 years old, so had he really lived in the US for 14 years?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 02:20:47 PM »

What about George Washington? When he was sworn in, the Declaration of Independence was less than 14 years old, so had he really lived in the US for 14 years?
Of course. America was America before it Declared its Independence.

However, Presidents Adams, Jefferson, Buchanan - probably others - had not been US residents continously for the last fourteen years when elected. The provision has essentially been ignored since day one.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 11:16:15 PM »

Personal unions have been common enough in the past. I think Napoleon was the first (and perhaps only) person to be ruler of a monarchy and a republic at the same time (between May 18, 1804 and March 17, 1805), but states had taken control of other states via personal union on many occasions.

Personal unions like GB and Hanover, yes, but not placing someone on the thrown.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 11:59:52 PM »

Personal unions like GB and Hanover, yes, but not placing someone on the thrown.

If you don't mind going way back, look at the (Crusader) Kingdom of Jerusalem.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 12:18:11 AM »

I would suggest only believing about 50% of what any so called "history professor" says.

Especially the communist ones.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 08:12:05 AM »

Actually... there is another angle to it.

The Founding Fathers expecteded mass immigration from Britain to have ended with Independence, so the rule wasn't expected to rule out lots of common folks. Meanwhile, a lot of then-living common Americans were born abroad.

Makes for an interesting what-if... no mass immigration during the 19th century, no Northwest Ordinance, and a history of the trans-appalachian interior more like that of the Brazilian or Venezuelan interior.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 08:52:21 AM »

Makes for an interesting what-if... no mass immigration during the 19th century, no Northwest Ordinance, and a history of the trans-appalachian interior more like that of the Brazilian or Venezuelan interior.

Sounds like a recipe for dying on the vine or conquest by a stronger power. I still think Russia would have gone after North America if the US never became anything.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 03:44:56 PM »

Contrary to what any professor seems to say, Hamilton WAS eligible as he was a citizen at the time of the adoption of the consititution.

Hamilton did not really believe in electoral politics though. He wanted a military dictatorship, and he would've played the role himself if he were offered.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 07:38:53 PM »

Personal unions like GB and Hanover, yes, but not placing someone on the throne.

For a 17th/18th century example, consider William III of Orange.  The Anglo-Dutch Wars of the 17th century were fought in part because Charles II was trying to place him in charge of the Netherlands as the Stadtholder, and then he ends up deposing Charles's son James II to become William III of England.  While technically the Stadtholder was elected, (just as in theory the Holy Roman Emperor was) the post became a de facto hereditary monarch and after the Napoleonic Era, the title was changed to King of the Netherlands.

The experience of the Dutch Republic clearly showed the possibility for external meddling with a post that was effectively an elected monarch.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies