Obama's out to save another Senate candidate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:35:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Obama's out to save another Senate candidate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama's out to save another Senate candidate  (Read 3074 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2010, 01:50:54 AM »

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/04/obama-to-campaign-for-blumenthal-in-connecticut/

This should help McMahon.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:59:14 AM »

I really feel like this seat is in play for the Republicans.  It seems like McMahon is gaining on Blumenthal every passing day.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:46:25 AM »

According to Rasmussen, Obama's approval is 55-46 (seriously, that's what they have listed) in Connecticut. So I doubt it's going to be that much of an albatross.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 10:32:12 AM »

For some reason, when I read "McMahon," I was thinking of NY-13, a place where perhaps a majority of voters think Obama is a Muslim.  Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 01:10:16 PM »

I really feel like this seat is in play for the Republicans.  It seems like McMahon is gaining on Blumenthal every passing day.

Blumenthal could be Coakley 2.0 Tongue
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 01:11:07 PM »

I can only see this helping Blumenthal.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 01:12:48 PM »

I love this meme that Obama is somehow horrendously unpoular and electoral poison to any Democratic candidate, even in blue states.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 01:52:58 PM »

The most important thing to take from this story is not wild guesses at his potential impact, but rather the fact that he is going there in the first place.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 01:56:32 PM »

The most important thing to take from this story is not wild guesses at his potential impact, but rather the fact that he is going there in the first place.

Both are important. His going there sends two signals: That they think Blumenthal could use help, and that they think they can help. Neither one is really a surprise if you have been following the collective polls and analyses.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 01:57:13 PM »

Maybe he can go down to Tuscon to help about Giffords. I notice that Feingold can't manage to fit Obama into his schedule when he goes to Milwaukee.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 02:00:40 PM »

Maybe he can go down to Tuscon to help about Giffords.

I don't get it (?)
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 02:04:32 PM »

I love this meme that Obama is somehow horrendously unpoular and electoral poison to any Democratic candidate, even in blue states.

Remember how well it worked when Obama campaigned for Coakley? Yeah. I don't see this as harming Blumenthal, but I don't see it having much of an effect in his favor, either.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 02:05:35 PM »

Yes Coakley clearly lost because of Obama, not because of being a horrible candidate in her own right.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 02:08:06 PM »

Yes Coakley clearly lost because of Obama, not because of being a horrible candidate in her own right.

...did you ever actually learn how to read?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 02:19:40 PM »

I'll be glad when this election is over, if only because Torie will probably revert back to his normal, not-a-shrill-partisan form.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 02:21:38 PM »

I'll be glad when this election is over, if only because Torie will probably revert back to his normal, not-a-shrill-partisan form.

Torie says he is moderate, non-libertarian and disdains the tea party, but seems to support every single tea party candidate with no reservation and has no limit to the amount of GOP gains he would like to see; and he sees more gains than most.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 02:22:06 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2010, 02:24:23 PM by Torie »

Oh, I actually believe in what I am saying here. It is just political predicting. It is not as if I think the GOP has much that is useful to offer, because I don't. Both parties are running on empty, basically.

And what I would like to see is the GOP gain 9 seats in the Senate, and 33 House seats. I have posted that before, and explained why. But unfortunately, the GOP is more likely than not to get at least 20 more seats than 33.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »

Torie says he is moderate, non-libertarian and disdains the tea party, but seems to support every single tea party candidate with no reservation and has no limit to the amount of GOP gains he would like to see; and he sees more gains than most.

And I trust his word on it. He's seen many, many election cycles come to pass, from what I can see, and I think that makes him a credible voice.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 02:28:51 PM »

The real problem is, for every Democrat he excites when he campaigns somewhere, there is a Republican he infuriates, thereby evening out his influence.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 02:31:33 PM »

Oh, I actually believe in what I am saying here. It is just political predicting. It is not as if I think the GOP has much that is useful to offer, because I don't. Both parties are running on empty, basically.

And what I would like to see is the GOP gain 9 seats in the Senate, and 33 House seats. I have posted that before, and explained why. But unfortunately, the GOP is more likely than not to get at least 20 more seats than 33.

Ok sorry, I must have missed some of your posts.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 02:34:20 PM »

No problem, and I know that what I believe can seem annoying at times.  Heck, I can be annoying period.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 02:38:47 PM »

Both are important. His going there sends two signals: That they think Blumenthal could use help, and that they think they can help. Neither one is really a surprise if you have been following the collective polls and analyses.
Yeah, the fact that Obama is coming to Connecticut is not surprising news. He should have gone there last month. If Obama starts planning other visits here and the Democrats start pouring money into this race, I would be worried. Blumenthal still has a 10 point lead and this is after a scandal, and McMahon blowing millions on ads. If we reach the point where this becomes a tossup race, it would be a historic wave election.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 03:47:46 PM »

Yeah, the fact that Obama is coming to Connecticut is not surprising news. He should have gone there last month. If Obama starts planning other visits here and the Democrats start pouring money into this race, I would be worried. Blumenthal still has a 10 point lead and this is after a scandal, and McMahon blowing millions on ads. If we reach the point where this becomes a tossup race, it would be a historic wave election.

If it is to that point, the GOP gains the Senate.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 05:28:06 PM »

Remember how well it worked when Obama campaigned for Coakley? Yeah. I don't see this as harming Blumenthal, but I don't see it having much of an effect in his favor, either.

Oh please, you could just as easily argue that Coakley was en route for a much more embarassing defeat before Obama managed to kick a bit of life into the Dem. base.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 06:46:53 PM »

Oh please, you could just as easily argue that Coakley was en route for a much more embarassing defeat before Obama managed to kick a bit of life into the Dem. base.

*sigh*

My point was, Obama's campaigning hasn't had much effect on races like this recently. I'm not saying he caused Coakley to lose, or any such nonsense.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies