La Venezia de Coca Colaaa!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:01:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  La Venezia de Coca Colaaa!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: La Venezia de Coca Colaaa!  (Read 490 times)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2010, 10:38:07 AM »

http://observers.france24.com/fr/content/20100825-restaurer-patrimoine-venise-coca-cola-publicite-italie

Too bad they haven't made an English version of that one, but you can look at the pics, and the ads are on the most famous places of Venice, like Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs, San Marco Place...

The article says that till now, there were some discrete ads, but for a few weeks, a new mayor came, and it changed. Indeed the city does it to get some money to restore buildings since public subventions are not enough, or, in the words of the article 'badly managed'. But the most stupid part of the story is that they got very low money for these huge things that might make flee tourists moreover. For example, a Venezian paper revealed that Coca Cola only paid 40,000 euros per month to appear on Doge's Palace, while for example the company ENI paid 2 millions only to have its logo on promotional goods of Venezian museums...

The article also says that Venezian people wouldn't be against ads in the city since they know Venice really needs private money to restore the city, but indeed they find it's too much now.

The article also points out that it became a real trend in Italy, and cites an example of a church which used this practice and then there was an ad of an half-naked woman on it.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:54:03 PM »

How tacky. Never mind how little was paid; couldn't they sell billboard space along the causeway to Venice instead?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 07:09:09 PM »

Dumb Question 1: These Ads...or ad spaces...permanent...or are these temporary covers over currently being renovated spaces (ala a lot of US mall spaces).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 05:25:12 AM »

Good for them.  If the cheap tourists aren't dropping enough dimes while there and they need to do something to increase revenue, this sounds like a good idea.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:53:48 AM »

Dumb Question 1: These Ads...or ad spaces...permanent...or are these temporary covers over currently being renovated spaces (ala a lot of US mall spaces).

As I understood the article, no, that are not on places currently on work. As you can see pics, there wouldn't be anything suggesting there are works, it's not as if they would hide some scaffolding, they are directly stuck on facades.

Good for them.  If the cheap tourists aren't dropping enough dimes while there and they need to do something to increase revenue, this sounds like a good idea.

Well, Venezians aren't against the principle, just the proportions it suddenly took with the new mayor, those Coca ads existed before on facades but far more smalls. Plus, apparently Coca would pay very cheap for those so ostensible stuffs, while other companies pay far more for far more discrete. Add to this that this might make flee tourists, since you know, when you come to Venice, I doubt most of the people come there to see Coca Land. Not sure it's so 'Good for them' then.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:51:49 PM »

So you want to stop them from making money?  How is that going to help them?

The people that own the buildings were not forced to take the ads.  They knew all the facts (how big the ads were, how much they were going to be paid for them) and still chose to take the ads.  I don't see a problem here.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 09:18:05 AM »

So you want to stop them from making money?  How is that going to help them?

The people that own the buildings were not forced to take the ads.  They knew all the facts (how big the ads were, how much they were going to be paid for them) and still chose to take the ads.  I don't see a problem here.

Hmm, how complicating something simple...

I speak about the new mayor elected 15 days ago who took this decision (maybe with the agreement of people who would own some of those buildings), and of Venezian citizens who, according to the article, would dislike the proportions it took.

I don't want to bare anybody from anything, I'm just reporting what the article reports about feeling of Venezian citizens about that.

About my opinion, yeah, I'm not sure that it would help them, beyond the fact this is very little money for the proportions it took, I'm not sure it would help them since tourists come to see Venezia, and not the ability of Coca to cover entire buildings with their ads. All of this would just make basic sense.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies