Ethnic whites and historical voting patterns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:41:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ethnic whites and historical voting patterns
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ethnic whites and historical voting patterns  (Read 1415 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2010, 02:56:11 PM »

I've always assumed that ethnic whites from Southern and Eastern Europe were heavily Democratic historically. Yet there were obviously large numbers who were Republican, like many Italians for example. Also, I read that Cicero, Illinois was an ethnic white Republican stronghold-not sure if that's true or not.

Were ethnic whites often Republican locally, but Democratic in national elections? Did region or machine politics play a big role?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »

Depends on the period you're talking about. Though up until the Depression, what mattered (presuming that the topic is about urban 'ethnic' whites; the distinction is important) was the affiliation of the machine.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:41:33 PM »

Really depends who and where and when you're talking about. Ethnic whites could be anything from Scandinavian farmers in the Upper Midwest to Germans in Texas to Jews on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »

Depends on the period you're talking about. Though up until the Depression, what mattered (presuming that the topic is about urban 'ethnic' whites; the distinction is important) was the affiliation of the machine.

Someone once described the difference between a party and a machine: a machine exists solely for its own sake, while a party exists for a reason beyond itself.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:56:56 PM »

by 'ethnic' do you mean having something other than English as a first language?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:07:36 PM »

I've always assumed that ethnic whites from Southern and Eastern Europe were heavily Democratic historically. Yet there were obviously large numbers who were Republican, like many Italians for example. Also, I read that Cicero, Illinois was an ethnic white Republican stronghold-not sure if that's true or not.

Were ethnic whites often Republican locally, but Democratic in national elections? Did region or machine politics play a big role?

Cicero was known to support Rs at all levels, and it had its own machine. As recently as 1992, a plurality voted for Bush I over Clinton and Perot. Cicero is the blue rectangle tucked along the west side of Chicago.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies