Why Gary Johnson Isn't Taken Seriously
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:17:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why Gary Johnson Isn't Taken Seriously
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why Gary Johnson Isn't Taken Seriously  (Read 3640 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2010, 01:04:04 PM »

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/08/why-gary-johnson-isnt-taken-seriously/61631/

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2010/05/05/gary_johnson_most_interesting_republican

"His chances are zero," political analyst Stu Rothenberg says via e-mail. "I'd say that they are less than zero, if there was such a thing. I'd expect his impact to be nonexistent."

Ask Johnson what he thinks of Barack Obama, for instance, and rather than the stream of vitriol that might issue semi-automatically from the lips of some party colleagues, he answers: "You can't help but like him."

Johnson seems ill at ease with the belligerent icons of modern-day conservatism. What does he think of the idol of the Tea Partiers, Glenn Beck?

"I have not watched Glenn Beck. I don't watch him."

Does he listen to Rush Limbaugh?

"I don't. Not that I haven't [ever]. But I don't tune in to Rush."

On other issues, Johnson doesn't bother to hide his disdain for his party's hard-liners. Take the incendiary new immigration law passed in Arizona, for instance:

"I just don't think it's going to work," he says. "I think it' s going to lead to racial profiling. I don't how you determine one individual from another -- is it color of skin? -- as to whether one is an American citizen or the other is an illegal immigrant."
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 01:11:03 PM »

"I've totally made up my mind about it (The Tea Party movement.) I got a hand out in South Carolina which listed the top ten things that a tea-partier stands for, based on a poll, and you know what? I was a Tea Partier. I stood for all those ten things, which really had to do with the pocketbook." - Gary Johnson
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 01:17:48 PM »

had to google the name to find out who he was...why are we discussing him?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 01:19:42 PM »

had to google the name to find out who he was...why are we discussing him?
There are still people on this forum who don't know who he is Huh
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 01:21:20 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2010, 01:28:59 PM by Vepres »

McCain almost won in 2000 by being, in some ways, anti-GOP. He could win New Hampshire, and use the momentum to then win Nevada, which would tie him with social coservative x, then wrap the nomination up by winning states such as New York, California, Illinois, New Jersey.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 01:32:49 PM »

McCain almost won in 2000 by being, in some ways, anti-GOP. He could win New Hampshire, and use the momentum to then win Nevada, which would tie him with social coservative x, then wrap the nomination up by winning states such as New York, California, Illinois, New Jersey.

McCain was pro-life, though, which made him much more acceptable to many GOP voters. Plus, he was against legalizing weed.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 02:43:18 PM »

McCain was pro-life, though, which made him much more acceptable to many GOP voters. Plus, he was against legalizing weed.

Johnson is pro-choice only until the point of viability, and got endorsements from New Mexico right-to-life organizations when he was running for Governor.

Unless Obama has a serious primary challenger, then an influx of independents into GOP primaries would be to Johnson's benefactor.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 02:54:02 PM »

I don't think Johnson will even run if Ron Paul runs in 2012.

Paul is much better positioned to capture the tea party crowd as well as disillusioned independents, plus he starts of with an extremely loyal grassroots college youth base. Unlike during the media blackout in 2008, Paul is already on TV all the time now, commenting on economic policy or whatever nonsense is going on in Congress at the time.

Johnson is kind of a boring speaker, isn't well-known outside of a very small circle, and has some divisive issue positions, as well as some personal issues.

Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »

I don't think Johnson will even run if Ron Paul runs in 2012.

Paul is much better positioned to capture the tea party crowd as well as disillusioned independents, plus he starts of with an extremely loyal grassroots college youth base. Unlike during the media blackout in 2008, Paul is already on TV all the time now, commenting on economic policy or whatever nonsense is going on in Congress at the time.

Johnson is kind of a boring speaker, isn't well-known outside of a very small circle, and has some divisive issue positions, as well as some personal issues.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 05:53:56 PM »

He seems like a nice enough guy. Obviously, he has no chance and neither does Ron Paul. Sorry.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 06:11:05 PM »

Ron Paul has more name recognition, polls higher, and is more principled than Gary Johnson (outside of social issues).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 06:17:37 PM »

Ron Paul has more name recognition, polls higher, and is more principled than Gary Johnson (outside of social issues).

Paul's name recognition and poll numbers were roughly what Johnson's are now back in early 2007 when he began his campaign.  He gained exposure and built his army of internet fans via the GOP primary debates.  I don't see why Johnson couldn't do the same in this campaign.  I'm not predicting that that'll happen, but I don't see why he'd be less likely to do it than Paul was.  Though obviously, that only happens if Paul doesn't also run.  (I presume that Johnson wouldn't run in that case anyway.)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 06:54:15 PM »

But he's older than radio.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 07:14:28 PM »

Paul's name recognition and poll numbers were roughly what Johnson's are now back in early 2007 when he began his campaign.  He gained exposure and built his army of internet fans via the GOP primary debates.  I don't see why Johnson couldn't do the same in this campaign.  I'm not predicting that that'll happen, but I don't see why he'd be less likely to do it than Paul was.  Though obviously, that only happens if Paul doesn't also run.  (I presume that Johnson wouldn't run in that case anyway.)

Paul did already have a nationwide following with libertarians prior to his 2008 presidential campaign, and he was able to attract new attention and support by shaking up the debates.

It's unlikely that Johnson with his dull speaking style and moderate rhetoric would able to endear himself to so many the way Paul was able to do.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 07:21:31 PM »

Paul did already have a nationwide following with libertarians prior to his 2008 presidential campaign, and he was able to attract new attention and support by shaking up the debates.

It's unlikely that Johnson with his dull speaking style and moderate rhetoric would able to endear himself to so many the way Paul was able to do.

Meh, it's not "moderate" for the GOP.  It's wildly out of step with the entire GOP establishment, same as Paul.  That's why it would attract attention.  And honestly, I don't think his speaking style is any duller than Paul's.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 07:51:18 PM »

Meh, it's not "moderate" for the GOP.  It's wildly out of step with the entire GOP establishment, same as Paul.  That's why it would attract attention.  And honestly, I don't think his speaking style is any duller than Paul's.

I actually think Gary Johnson's speaking style is actually "better" than Paul's for political purposes. Johnson is no Reagan in terms of public speaking, but when he talks about things like drug legalization, he does so in a calm and collected manner. Paul often gets inflamed and passionate when he talks about the issues (and I don't have anything against Paul), and often comes across as "kooky" to people that either haven't heard of him or disagree with him. Paul's probably better at getting his supporters passionate, about the issues but Johnson probably comes across as more acceptable to moderates or independence.

Once again, I don't have a problem with either of them, it's just an observation. Smiley 
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 07:57:14 PM »

Totally disagree. No one wants to hear someone as bland and droning as Johnson. Even people I've known who hate Paul at least find him entertaining.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 08:11:01 PM »

Totally disagree. No one wants to hear someone as bland and droning as Johnson. Even people I've known who hate Paul at least find him entertaining.

I don't think they find Paul entertaining in a way that's good for him.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 08:19:52 PM »

Honestly, I think Paul's speaking style is irrelevant to his popularity.  I think what happened was simply that Paul-style libertarians were excited by the Youtube clips of him in the early 2008 debates, that someone with those views was challenging GOP orthodoxy to the faces of the other candidates.  Same thing would likely happen with Johnson, though it would be a different set of libertarians.  The Paul-ites are more paleocon/libertarians and Johnson is more of a conventional libertarian.

The other difference is that things might play a bit differently when the incumbent president is a Democrat rather than a Republican.  If Johnson criticizes the Afghanistan War, then it would play differently now, since the war is being prosecuted by a Democrat.  Not sure whether that would help him or hurt him.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 09:15:27 PM »

This thread was a bit of a hit-n-run by yours truly, wasn't it?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 09:32:59 PM »

Ron Paul has had a following for quite some time - I just watched a clip of him on William F. Buckley's show in 1988, with the host mentioning that he had never had so many letters sent to him urging him to invite anyone else onto his show . . .

On the topic at hand, I think the best option would be for him to run a "trojan horse" candidacy via Ron Paul - Ron Paul's name would be on the ballots, but Paul would announce beforehand that he would direct his delegates to vote for a younger candidate who shares his values (Johnson).
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »

Ron Paul has had a following for quite some time - I just watched a clip of him on William F. Buckley's show in 1988, with the host mentioning that he had never had so many letters sent to him urging him to invite anyone else onto his show . . .

On the topic at hand, I think the best option would be for him to run a "trojan horse" candidacy via Ron Paul - Ron Paul's name would be on the ballots, but Paul would announce beforehand that he would direct his delegates to vote for a younger candidate who shares his values (Johnson).
Is that possible/legal?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 03:37:17 PM »

Is that possible/legal?

I think it's legal, but would probably cause a lot of outcry.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »

He shouldn't be taken seriously, since he isn't a serious candidate for the position.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 04:31:19 PM »

But he's older than radio.

No, he isn't.  Radio is 90 years old.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies