Dennis Kucinich and redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 04:41:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Dennis Kucinich and redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dennis Kucinich and redistricting  (Read 727 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2010, 07:39:59 PM »

With Ohio expected to lose two seats in reapportionment, population loss in NE Ohio, and a majority Cleveland-based black district necessary, will Kucinich have a seat after redistricting?

I know the Cleveland suburbs are pretty liberal, but are they liberal enough to elect Kucinich? Would he get through the Democratic primary?

(Moderators: as I posted in the Atlas board, there isn't really a good board for threads like this. In the meantime, feel free to move this thread if necessary.)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 07:49:05 PM »

I think Kucinich and Sutton might be placed in one district, since Fudge's district is protected by the VRA and Kaptur's district is too far way. I think Kucinich would have a good chance of winning a primary in this new district, considering his charisma and appeal to the Democratic base. However, it would depend exactly on how much of Kucinich's and Sutton's former territory ends up in the new district.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 07:56:55 PM »

I too expect Kucinich to be put in Sutton's district, in which case I hope he loses, even if it means that Sutton (who isn't much better) stays in the House.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »

With Ohio expected to lose two seats in reapportionment, population loss in NE Ohio, and a majority Cleveland-based black district necessary, will Kucinich have a seat after redistricting?

I know the Cleveland suburbs are pretty liberal, but are they liberal enough to elect Kucinich? Would he get through the Democratic primary?

Well, Kucinich did get elected as mayor of Cleveland, even if he got lukewarm results

I think it really comes down to who controls redistricting, and where those losses are occurring, no?   I'm not sure where it's happening in Ohio, but, like, in NY, I know when we lose a seat, it's not like you can just assign that loss seat anywhere you please, it has to be upstate somewhere as that's where the relative population loss is.

All t he more reason everyone should be happy that Strickland is running one of the best incumbent governor campaigns in the country right now Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 02:06:44 PM »

I'm not sure how protected Fudge's seat is, anyhow. It may be quite literally impossible to draw an actually Black-plurality district in Ohio after 2010. (Of course, you can still pack all the Black communities into a single constituency... which would be loosely based on Fudge's district Black plurality or not. And presumably would re-elect her.)
Dgov
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 06:10:51 PM »

I'm not sure how protected Fudge's seat is, anyhow. It may be quite literally impossible to draw an actually Black-plurality district in Ohio after 2010. (Of course, you can still pack all the Black communities into a single constituency... which would be loosely based on Fudge's district Black plurality or not. And presumably would re-elect her.)

Maybe not, but you can get really close.

Although that district is almost certainly shifting Westward after 2010 no matter who draws the lines, as Western Cleveland is far blacker (~20% I think) than Cleveland's Eastern Exurbs.  Which means Kucinich's district is going to be more suburban than his present one, so I could see him losing to another sitting Democrat.  It depends on how the 13th gets drawn out.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies