Could San Francisco have a Republican mayor elected in 2011?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:30:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Could San Francisco have a Republican mayor elected in 2011?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could San Francisco have a Republican mayor elected in 2011?  (Read 4762 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2010, 05:23:02 PM »

I know they haven't since the 60's, but is there a prominent, pro-gay rights, pro-environment Republican that could run and win?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 06:04:13 PM »

No.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 06:08:22 PM »

*facepalm*

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 06:11:14 PM »

They're probably more likely to elect a third-party mayor than a Republican.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 06:11:38 PM »

If nobody knew that s/he was a Republican & the person in question ran on a Democratic platform, why not?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 06:20:48 PM »

If nobody knew that s/he was a Republican & the person in question ran on a Democratic platform, why not?

Well, the question was whether there were any prominent such people, and there aren't.

Hypothetically a liberal Bloomberg type billionaire could probably be competitive if willing to dump eight figures into the race, demographically being gay and Asian would probably help.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 06:23:13 PM »

More likely that a Green will be elected.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 06:34:34 PM »

if it's a michael bloomberg
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 06:44:06 PM »

There's a big difference between S.F. and NYC too, in that I'm not sure if there is ANY base of Republican support.  New York City has Republican City Council members (I Know S.F. doesn't have any such thing) as well as Republican State Senators.  NYC used to even have a Republican Congressman in Staten Island, but that's gone.  NYC certainly has prominent conservative communities in the outer boroughs.

I mean, Giuliani isn't as rich or as liberal as "Bloomberg" and he still got elected
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 06:48:58 PM »

Well, the question was whether there were any prominent such people, and there aren't.

Hypothetically a liberal Bloomberg type billionaire could probably be competitive if willing to dump eight figures into the race, demographically being gay and Asian would probably help.

Now i'm just trying to think of famous gay Asians

BD wong
George Takai

Anyway I'm saying no.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 06:52:39 PM »

BD wong
George Takai

Anyway I'm saying no.

Hah, Dan Choi?

Anyway, it'd need to be someone that could politically reach out to the community, it's not about having an Asian last name when it comes to something as extreme as a Republican winning in S.F..
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 07:04:18 PM »

One British newspaper columnist has a long running series on his blog called 'Questions to which the answer is No'.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 07:08:35 PM »

One British newspaper columnist has a long running series on his blog called 'Questions to which the answer is No'.

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2010/06/21/the-questions-to-which-the-answer-is-no-awards/

Realized my senior year that I had to take an additional introductory English class, they made me write an essay on #4, yuck
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 07:20:01 PM »

BD wong
George Takai

Anyway I'm saying no.

Hah, Dan Choi?

Anyway, it'd need to be someone that could politically reach out to the community, it's not about having an Asian last name when it comes to something as extreme as a Republican winning in S.F..

But I rather doubt a gay Chinese person would, by definition, be able to reach out to the Chinese community. One or the other would be a huge help, though.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 09:56:02 PM »

Could there be?  Yes.

Will there be?  There's a 99.95% Chance that it's not going to happen
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »

John Dennis would be a much stronger candidate than Republicans have recently ran for Mayor if he decided to.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 10:45:04 PM »

John Dennis would be a much stronger candidate than Republicans have recently ran for Mayor if he decided to.

No one who runs on the GOP line for CA-08 is a serious politician
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 12:49:05 AM »

There's absolutely no reason to be a Republican in that case, though. Local elections in California are nonpartisan, so there's no Republican ballot line to win.

The fact that local elections in California are nonpartisan is why party labels really don't matter. Both the left and right in San Francisco are Democratic, because membership in the Democratic Party is a prerequisite to holding higher offices (which are partisan). There was a Green Party for a while, encompassing some (but not all) of the left, but of its most prominent members, Ross Mirkarimi and Matt Gonzalez, Mirkarimi became a Democrat not too long ago when he realized that he would like to be something other than City-County Supervisor, and Gonzalez has no political hopes after his quixotic run for Vice President.

Outsiders frequently make the mistake of assuming that Gavin Newsom is on the left because he is a liberal. In reality, cultural issues are not what divides the two factions; rather, it is economic issues that are the determining factor. In this dichotomy, a liberal Republican has no reason to exist. For a Republican, there is no chance of ever holding a higher local office of any sort, be it Representative or state legislator, and the California GOP, being hard-right, would never nominate a liberal to statewide office.

This is basically a ts;dr version of my earlier answer, actually.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 01:40:28 AM »

No one who runs on the GOP line for CA-08 is a serious politician

True.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 07:34:13 AM »

elohel
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: