Most forgettable US State?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 04:25:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Most forgettable US State?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Most forgettable US State?  (Read 13236 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2010, 01:40:43 AM »

New Jersey could easily be split among New York and Pennsylvania and nobody would understand any difference, its residents most of all.

Uh really?  That's news to us and our neighbors, all of whom would definitely notice if part of Jersey was suddenly in their state.  Jersey is all the rage right now anyway.  It's probably the least forgettable state.

If the northern part of the state is a New York suburb and the southern a Philadelphia suburb, then what's left?

And I said it jokingly because as I've read New Jersey doesn't have its own media market. So
if the TV stations at New York and Philadelphia decide that dismantling the state ain't newsworthy then nobody will notice it. 
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2010, 01:57:27 AM »

Yeah, I don't want you, and please take that stupid Philadelphia with you, as well.

Who cares?  You could offer us money and we still wouldn't notice the big empty rectangle next to us let alone want to be part of it.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2010, 04:55:02 AM »

Yeah, I don't want you, and please take that stupid Philadelphia with you, as well.

Who cares?  You could offer us money and we still wouldn't notice the big empty rectangle next to us let alone want to be part of it.

That's why we have sports teams that actually bear our name and not just the nearby metro that makes it relevant! OY! ZING! HEYO!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2010, 08:46:02 AM »

That's why we have sports teams that actually bear our name and not just the nearby metro that makes it relevant! OY! ZING! HEYO!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Devils
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2010, 10:01:34 AM »

Delaware.  Biden had to advertise himself as being from Scranton. 

At best, Delaware is a stretch of road between Philadelphia and Baltimore.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »

I'm of an increasing mindset that Maryland was gerrymandered at some point during the Lyndon Johnson administration, with a complex enough yet vague enough history invented for it so that we would think it was always there.

True story: Maryland is the shape it is because it lost every territorial dispute it had with its neighbors. Even Delaware.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2010, 02:17:49 PM »

Peter Griffin is from there. That's memorable.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2010, 02:25:22 PM »

I'd say North Dakota, though any of the nearby sparsely populated states (ID, MT, SD, WY) come close.

Delaware is easy to overlook on a map, but one would likely pass through it going to/from DC and NYC or DC and Philly. I disagree with Vermont and Rhode Island, since the latter has a medium sized city and an Ivy League college. Vermont has become known in recent years for its hippies and Ben & Jerry's and many New Yorkers and Bostonians have been there.

I would bet the states in my first paragraph would likely have the lowest % of non-residents having been there (in the continental U.S.) with ND being last.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2010, 05:27:05 PM »

Haha oh yeah, I totally forgot about Delaware.  It wins.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2010, 05:58:12 PM »

I see the Hoeven factor is not being implemented. Come on, people. Do your homework.

I have to go with Arkansas, Idaho, or Rhode Island.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2010, 06:03:37 PM »

I see the Hoeven factor is not being implemented. Come on, people. Do your homework.

What Hoeven factor? The state is so forgettable that even the campaign committees forgot about that race.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2010, 06:24:50 PM »

As it is now, no state out west is really forgettable simply because of their geographical size.  The most forgettable states to me out west would be either Nevada or Oregon.  Everyone remembers Portland, but unless they're from those regions of the country, people don't remember Oregon.  People remember Las Vegas, but not everybody remembers Nevada.  Reno and Carson City could easily be considered California, as could Las Vegas.  Portland could even be considered part of Washington State since it bumps right up to the border.  Seattle or Portland residents may disagree, though!

Out east, if it weren't for the coal mine disasters, West Virginia would be forgettable and Delaware is just what, 3 counties?

Rhode Island is pretty much a suburb of Boston, so it's not that forgettable, plus as a political junkie I remember Lincoln Chafee.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2010, 06:40:08 PM »

No one could forget Las Vegas. They could be unaware that it's from Nevada, but...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2010, 06:46:25 PM »

Delawhere?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2010, 07:01:41 PM »

As it is now, no state out west is really forgettable simply because of their geographical size.  The most forgettable states to me out west would be either Nevada or Oregon.  Everyone remembers Portland, but unless they're from those regions of the country, people don't remember Oregon.  People remember Las Vegas, but not everybody remembers Nevada.  Reno and Carson City could easily be considered California, as could Las Vegas.  Portland could even be considered part of Washington State since it bumps right up to the border.  Seattle or Portland residents may disagree, though!

Out east, if it weren't for the coal mine disasters, West Virginia would be forgettable and Delaware is just what, 3 counties?

Rhode Island is pretty much a suburb of Boston, so it's not that forgettable, plus as a political junkie I remember Lincoln Chafee.

You know part of Nevada appends Lake Tahoe, and that the Nevada side of the lake is the most beautiful and unspoiled part, right?  And yes, even though I find it nauseous in every conceivable way, it is a bit of a stretch to characterize Vegas as "forgettable" isn't it?  And I still remember driving though Austin, Nevada, to this day. So that place is not forgettable either.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2010, 09:22:34 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2010, 10:03:57 PM by Dgov »

Most forgettable state?  Nevada.

Sure they have Las Vegas, but the city's motto is "What happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas".  you don't get much more "Forgetful" than that
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2010, 09:36:21 PM »

'Vega' is feminine, you know. Wink
Dgov
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2010, 10:05:35 PM »

What!?  Of Course I knew that.  What kind of Idiot would make that kind of mistake!
<<
>>
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2010, 08:59:11 AM »

North Dakota.  A boring square - but not so square that you remember it for being square.  The only state in the continental US without an interstate highway running through it.   The people there think that the tourists are ignoring the frigid-sounding "North Dakota" for the sunny beaches of South Dakota, so they are proposing that they change the state's name to simply "Dakota."

This isn't true, it has two of them. 94 east-west, 29 north-south.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2010, 05:14:39 PM »

All this talk of Interstates inspired me to make a map.

States with odd-numbered major Interstates are red. States with even-numbered major Interstates are blue. States with both are green. States with neither are gray.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2010, 05:18:36 PM »

Delaware was the first state.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2010, 05:45:48 PM »

And look where it got them.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2010, 07:33:16 PM »

States with odd-numbered major Interstates are red. States with even-numbered major Interstates are blue. States with both are green. States with neither are gray.

Um, again - I-94 is a major interstate through central ND and so is I-29 along the Minnesotan border.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2010, 07:34:26 PM »

Um, again - I-94 is a major interstate through central ND and so is I-29 along the Minnesotan border.

Major Interstates have numbers that are multiples of 5.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »

Major Interstates have numbers that are multiples of 5.

Not really . .  here in the (west) Bay Area the major highways are the 1, the 101, and the 88
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies