Is the GOP going to blow another one, this time in Iowa?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:24:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is the GOP going to blow another one, this time in Iowa?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is the GOP going to blow another one, this time in Iowa?  (Read 902 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2010, 09:40:44 PM »

It's unbelievable some of the stuff that goes on.  Yes, the democrats at times have challenges from the far left too, but the GOP won't leave former Gov. Branstad alone.  Now, there's talks that another lunatic, this one running for the sole purpose of banning gay marriage in the state (how likeable- sarcasm) could run as a third party candidate.  If that happens, there is a serious chance Gov. Culver could find his way to re-election via plurality.

It's becoming a game for the GOP.  How many seats can they blow that they almost had in the bag (NV-Senate, CO-Governor) based upon the candidates in the race?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:03:13 AM »

I said this with VDP: any independent candidate is going to have to soak up 15-20% of the vote for Culver, who is stuck in the high-30s/low-40s, to win.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 08:15:54 PM »

It's unbelievable some of the stuff that goes on.  Yes, the democrats at times have challenges from the far left too, but the GOP won't leave former Gov. Branstad alone.  Now, there's talks that another lunatic, this one running for the sole purpose of banning gay marriage in the state (how likeable- sarcasm) could run as a third party candidate.  If that happens, there is a serious chance Gov. Culver could find his way to re-election via plurality.

It's becoming a game for the GOP.  How many seats can they blow that they almost had in the bag (NV-Senate, CO-Governor) based upon the candidates in the race?

Branstad is conservative enough and will most likely repeal this gay marriage thing when he takes office to appease social conservatives.

In Nevada, Reid isn't out of the woods yet despite the Sharron Angle as Harry Reid is absolutely hated by the people of Nevada. In addition in Colorado, I have a good feeling he GOP is going to replace which ever of the two gubernatorial candidates win on Tuesday with someone more formidable.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 08:17:40 PM »

Branstad is gonna repeal gay marriage how? Humor me.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 08:26:31 PM »

Branstad is gonna repeal gay marriage how? Humor me.

That Dutch guy is trying to unseat three of the nine justices in that unanimous Supreme Court ruling this cycle.  If two of the other ones change their mind...well, that's a majority.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 08:49:29 PM »

Lunar, don't tell me you think he can unseat three supreme court justices, the replacements will disregard Varnum v. Brien and that two other justices that agreed with the decision will randomly change their minds?

Vander Plaats is the most irrelevant person to ever come out of Iowa.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 08:55:21 PM »

Dawg, I don't think anything of the sort.  Vaplaat is trying to remain more relevant than what a spoiler Independent run would get him, and it's probably a good political career decision for him.

I'm sarcastic more often than I'm serious with my short posts, so it's safer to assume I'm always sarcastic and occasionally mistake one of my serious posts as being unserious than the opposite! 

Especially any post that says "That Dutch Guy" instead of Vanderlaat's real name.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 09:21:09 PM »

Especially any post that says "That Dutch Guy" instead of Vanderlaat's real name.

But this post did that too. Is it sarcastic?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »

Highly.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 12:29:39 AM »

How is a an independent far right nutcase the responsibility of the GOP? I don't see how the GOP is blowing this one, they nominated Branstad and every sane member of the IA and national GOP establishment supports him.

And I think CO Governor was blown the minute McInnis' campaign came off the rails. Tancredo's entrance was only fallout from that ramming home the effects.

We have gotten bad candidates in races before (KY 2007 ring a bell?, MT 2006 Senate, AK 2008, Senate, AZ-08 2006, etc). We got great candidates this year in MI, PA, WI, IA, NM, and OR Governorships not to mention TN, KS, OK, and WY.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies