Music Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:49:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Music Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Music Megathread  (Read 339395 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« on: August 08, 2010, 01:39:38 PM »
« edited: August 08, 2010, 01:42:21 PM by Pacific Lt. Gov The Doctor »

Completely ignorant of music at one point in my life.  Not any longer.Cheesy

I actually got into rock when I watched Wrestling; it introduced me to rock songs I wouldn't normally have heard on lite rock radio.Tongue

Anyways, I was then exposed to post-grunge bands and the sort; not exactly great artists, but still good nonetheless.  Then, I was exposed to Lostprophets and via that, alternative rock.  Around this time, I also bought Rock Band and was amazed at the great songs on it that I hadn't even heard of.

Moving on with my newfound liking of alternative rock, I moved through several bands, Fuel, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Rise Against, the Offspring, and the list goes on and on.  Soon afterwards, I started to re-listen to the Beatles (from my younger years, I was aware of them but didn't really get into them later), and I loved their songs and delved a bit into classic rock.

Then, through a friend's recommendation, I listened to The Killers, Radiohead, then Muse, fascinated by the strange type of songs they put out.  Soon after, I heard "Happiness is a Warm Gun".  I loved the proto-prog structure it had and went with that, listening to Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, and Porcupine Tree (which became an instant favourite of mine).

Now, I write songs and am trying to form a band with my friend.  I play rhythm guitar and in charge of lyrics.  I'm more prog/alternative-leaning, while the other is more thrash/metal-leaning.

Oh, and when I discovered LPs, I was stoked and couldn't get enough.Cheesy

Current tastes include Alternative, Prog, Classic, Punk, Jazz (smooth and normal), some Pop, some Hip-Hop (this is pretty much Gorillaz and De La Soul territory).
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 01:53:34 PM »

Stuff I've Discovered - 1:

I've been getting back into my grunge stuff lately and I've come to the conclusion that Nirvana are, while still being a great band, probably the worst of the grunge four (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden). Listening to Facelift by Alice in Chains and Superunknown by Soundgarden made me realise they're underrated compared to the other two. I think it may be due to the more metal based sound of both bands, especially AiC.

At the same time, I've been looking at some of the stuff by lesser known grunge bands. I downloaded Temple of the Dog's self-titled album and it was a pretty well made record - sort of like a less angsty Pearl Jam.

Nevertheless it all comes down to preference.  Honestly, if Kurt had lived and if they continued going the direction they were going, they would be regarded a lot more highly by the elitists.  And honestly, most of the time the only reason elitists hate is because the band is mainstream.Tongue

And I still prefer Nirvana to the other three.  About a Girl FTW.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 02:05:11 PM »

Stuff I've Discovered - 1:

I've been getting back into my grunge stuff lately and I've come to the conclusion that Nirvana are, while still being a great band, probably the worst of the grunge four (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden). Listening to Facelift by Alice in Chains and Superunknown by Soundgarden made me realise they're underrated compared to the other two. I think it may be due to the more metal based sound of both bands, especially AiC.

At the same time, I've been looking at some of the stuff by lesser known grunge bands. I downloaded Temple of the Dog's self-titled album and it was a pretty well made record - sort of like a less angsty Pearl Jam.

Nevertheless it all comes down to preference.  Honestly, if Kurt had lived and if they continued going the direction they were going, they would be regarded a lot more highly by the elitists.  And honestly, most of the time the only reason elitists hate is because the band is mainstream.Tongue

And I still prefer Nirvana to the other three.  About a Girl FTW.

Well, if you look at where the other grunge bands have gone, I guess it becomes more clear where they would have headed. Pearl Jam these days are far more general alternative rock, and I'd say their last grunge album was Vitalogy. Soundgarden are far more metal than they used to be too. Alice in Chains I haven't really heard much of the stuff done recently in their new incarnation, but I doubt they'll ever quite match up to Layne Staley's AiC just because it was pure genius and grunge music at its rawest.

Nirvana certainly weren't mainstream, mind you. No band which did songs like tourette's and Territorial Pissings could be considered mainstream Tongue

Tell that to the elitists.  At the time though, that was the in-thing to listen to.  I'm sad that we can't live through that kind of era now.

Plus I've never really considered Soundgarden grunge.  I always tough that were called Grunge just because they were associated with the Seattle Scene.  They're pretty much just metal.

Plus, grunge as a genre doesn't really exist, does it?  It's more of a fashion/way of performance.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »

Then there is anything in between. I really love any kind of song as long as it is not a) boring and it over 5 min generally. If it is over 5min I have to be doing something. B) it can not, CAN NOT be metal.

A - I have a 47 minute long song on my iTunes Tongue
B - Define metal Smiley
A- if you play that don't expect me to be awake. Tongue
B- Things Pit likes, for example Metallica, etc. yuck!

So, thrash?  Or just loud, headbanging music?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 02:37:51 PM »

Then there is anything in between. I really love any kind of song as long as it is not a) boring and it over 5 min generally. If it is over 5min I have to be doing something. B) it can not, CAN NOT be metal.

B - Define metal Smiley

Yes, both.

Berkeley hates you now.Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 02:50:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

B - Define metal Smiley
[/quote]
[/quote]

So, thrash?  Or just loud, headbanging music?
[/quote]
Yes, both.
[/quote]

[/quote]

HAHAHA i don't like them either. They took my ex. they cant be that great. UC Davis all the way. Wink[/quote]

Meh, Davis bores me.  The surrounding area is too....quiet.  But my aunt is a professor there so I guess I have to like it a little.

Metallica have done two good songs, One and Enter Sandman. The rest of their stuff ranges from mediocre to appalling.

You mainstream piece of crap.Tongue

well it doesn't matter what it 'is' it should make me ears bleed and me cry for how horrid it is. who called this music anyways? My boss says it is a joke. and then people who take the joke seriously are not getting that it is a joke.

Geez, that's a lot of anger for some music.  Did something happen when you were little?  Were you traumatized by an electric guitar?Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 02:56:47 PM »

I'm not mainstream! I'M NOT MAINSTREAM!!!! *hides away and listens to Led Zeppelin* D'oh Tongue

If that LZ song is anything off of LZIV, I've lost my respect for you.Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 03:17:34 PM »

B - Define metal Smiley

[/quote]
Yes, both.
[/quote]

[/quote]

HAHAHA i don't like them either. They took my ex. they cant be that great. UC Davis all the way. Wink[/quote]

Meh, Davis bores me.  The surrounding area is too....quiet.  But my aunt is a professor there so I guess I have to like it a little.

well it doesn't matter what it 'is' it should make me ears bleed and me cry for how horrid it is. who called this music anyways? My boss says it is a joke. and then people who take the joke seriously are not getting that it is a joke.

Geez, that's a lot of anger for some music.  Did something happen when you were little?  Were you traumatized by an electric guitar?Tongue
[/quote]
no, I actually have an electric guitar. Tongue But I was also born an opera baby so to me music has to flow and be smooth for me to think it is music. Also metal physically hurts my head.

As for Davis being 'boring' I love that. I am quite tired of the bust hustle of the city. I have always loved living in rural areas. I have preferred it to the city. But the suburbs is a good compromise if i ever have to.
[/quote]

Ah, all in upbringing I guess.  Metal used to give me headaches, but I warmed up to it by listening to songs that became heavier and heavier.

Well you've lived in SF for your life, I've lived in the East Bay Suburbs.  It bores me.  I mean, it's interesting from time to time, but other than the weekend getaway, I really can't see myself living in a rural area.  Although it has always made me wonder as to what would've happened if I grew up in such an environment.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »

B - Define metal Smiley

Yes, both.

[/quote]

Meh, Davis bores me.  The surrounding area is too....quiet.  But my aunt is a professor there so I guess I have to like it a little.

Geez, that's a lot of anger for some music.  Did something happen when you were little?  Were you traumatized by an electric guitar?Tongue
[/quote]
no, I actually have an electric guitar. Tongue But I was also born an opera baby so to me music has to flow and be smooth for me to think it is music. Also metal physically hurts my head.

As for Davis being 'boring' I love that. I am quite tired of the bust hustle of the city. I have always loved living in rural areas. I have preferred it to the city. But the suburbs is a good compromise if i ever have to.
[/quote]

Ah, all in upbringing I guess.  Metal used to give me headaches, but I warmed up to it by listening to songs that became heavier and heavier.

Well you've lived in SF for your life, I've lived in the East Bay Suburbs.  It bores me.  I mean, it's interesting from time to time, but other than the weekend getaway, I really can't see myself living in a rural area.  Although it has always made me wonder as to what would've happened if I grew up in such an environment.
[/quote]
wow. that was smart. never thought of that before.

and no i have moved most of my life. i have done the whole city, suburbs and rural.
[/quote]

But you haven't stayed in one place?  Not surprising that you'd prefer rural.

Honestly though, Davis isn't that rural....it's just quiet.  It reminds me of those "perfect" old towns that end up in those horror films.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 03:25:32 PM »

But you haven't stayed in one place?  Not surprising that you'd prefer rural.

Honestly though, Davis isn't that rural....it's just quiet.  It reminds me of those "perfect" old towns that end up in those horror films.

oooooo that would be so cool. except i cant be the one that dies cause then i wont be able to be alive to enjoy the horror.

Lol, have fun with that.

But doesn't being in a small town usually filled with old retirees depress you?  Even a little?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »

That's what I did too (listening to metal, not moving Tongue). I remember that after I started listening to Metallica, I wanted to listen to other thrash metal bands, so I checked out Angel Of Death by Slayer. Needless to say, my ears were quickly routed by the intense sonic assault. I decided to try something else & checked out Skeletons Of Society, which I found quite listenable. Over time, I was then able to get into their heavier songs, as well as heavier bands.

It also helps if you've heard heavier stuff already.  I heard Master of Puppets and Dream Theatre before I listened to No Leaf Clover, so it wasn't such a big deal.

Opeth though....hard to get past the Death Metal voice.

No it would be great since I just got my dog therapy license. so a lot of business and they all probably know a lot of opera. Smiley plus old people are easier to hang with then young.

True.  Well I wish you the best with your business.  And hopefully you'll learn to listen to metal music and be able to live in a city.Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 03:45:47 PM »

That's what I did too (listening to metal, not moving Tongue). I remember that after I started listening to Metallica, I wanted to listen to other thrash metal bands, so I checked out Angel Of Death by Slayer. Needless to say, my ears were quickly routed by the intense sonic assault. I decided to try something else & checked out Skeletons Of Society, which I found quite listenable. Over time, I was then able to get into their heavier songs, as well as heavier bands.

It also helps if you've heard heavier stuff already.  I heard Master of Puppets and Dream Theatre before I listened to No Leaf Clover, so it wasn't such a big deal.

Opeth though....hard to get past the Death Metal voice.

I've never listened to death metal much. I'd say Immolation is probably the heaviest death metal band I've found. Now, doom metal is where the heaviest stuff is. At least, if you know what bands to listen to.

B - Define metal Smiley

Yes, both.

HAHAHA i don't like them either. They took my ex. they cant be that great. UC Davis all the way. Wink

[/quote]

[/quote]
wow. that was smart. never thought of that before.

and no i have moved most of my life. i have done the whole city, suburbs and rural.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Oh ok. it still isn't music though. you know what is funny. my ears don't care when our fire alarm goes off but metal hurts like sh**t.
[/quote]

I can't stand fire alarms, they're so freaking loud. It's like having a Boris concert in your house.
[/quote]

I'd prefer to stay in my happy Prog/Thrash metal zone.Tongue  Opeth was enough of a stretch considering it's Prog Death Metal.

And yes, fire alarms suck.  It's not that they're loud, they're just...annoying...
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 03:58:41 PM »

Only prog metal band I really like is Mastodon. Even then, it took me months to be able to enjoy Leviathan or Blood Mountain. On the other hand, I liked Crack The Skye from the first time I heard it, though some of the songs on that album annoy the hell out of me.

Porcupine Tree is good Prog band (they switch between metal and rock).  Some of my favourite songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeTvsGkQdJc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ1fRU2wX4Q
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 07:34:36 PM »

Only prog metal band I really like is Mastodon. Even then, it took me months to be able to enjoy Leviathan or Blood Mountain. On the other hand, I liked Crack The Skye from the first time I heard it, though some of the songs on that album annoy the hell out of me.

Porcupine Tree is good Prog band (they switch between metal and rock).  Some of my favourite songs:

Great band. Deadwing and In Absentia remain my favorite by them.

Both albums are good, though Trains is usually the only reason why I listen to In Absentia.

Also, your username gives away one of your favourite bands.Tongue  I prefer Absolution from them, though the ending to the Resistance (Exogenesis: Symphony I, II, III) is one of my all-time favourites.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 12:11:41 AM »

Great band. Deadwing and In Absentia remain my favorite by them.

Both albums are good, though Trains is usually the only reason why I listen to In Absentia.

Also, your username gives away one of your favourite bands.Tongue  I prefer Absolution from them, though the ending to the Resistance (Exogenesis: Symphony I, II, III) is one of my all-time favourites.

Tongue

Indeed, Absolution remains my favorite as well. The Resistance is just as good, though depending on my mood I favor the first half or second. Exogenesis is amazing, though I will admit it's a bit underwhelming live. They need an Orchestra there for it, in it's place they just use a barrage of synths. Just doesn't work as well.

Good point.  I hope that when they make a live dvd, they'll have an orchestra with them.  Maybe they can do something similar to Metallica's S&M.Smiley

Black Holes and Revelations is also a good album.  I just don't get why people hate Supermassive Black Hole so much (ok sure, it's been overhyped and used in Twilight, but it's still a good dance song).
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 03:44:50 PM »

Muse are one of the most atrocious bands around at the moment.

Anyway, trying to steer the conversation away from metal for at least some of us Tongue What's you guys opinion of folk?

Folk's alright, I'm not too much into it though.  I find it boring to listen to though.  It's also hard for me to find out anything about foreign folk (or foreign anything in general).

That reminds me; I found S&M to be quite a dreadful album. I thought the orchestral arrangements ruined quite a few of their better songs (particularly Battery), the guitars were too quiet, & James Hetfield's vocals were terrible. The complete lack of songs from Kill 'Em All, such as The Four Horsemen or Seek And Destroy, is also quite troubling.

I didn't think it was that bad.  Sure, the arrangements were a little ****ed up but overall it turned out to be a listenable product.  Human and No Leaf Clover (the two written for the specific concert) are actually pretty good imo.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 06:22:34 PM »

Would you have ever guessed that one of the vocalists in this band is a girl?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrW81uQK4WM

Yeah, it's actually kind of obvious.Tongue

I think it's harder to tell this is a girl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOIGi7VTgzk
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 12:06:24 PM »

My $.02.  Prog rock is the greatest thing to ever happen to rock music and is truly one of the great art forms...

care to comment?  

What the derp is "progressive rock"?

Prog rock is pretty much "Look, I'm a smartass" rock.  Which makes it awesome.Cheesy
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »

My $.02.  Prog rock is the greatest thing to ever happen to rock music and is truly one of the great art forms...

care to comment?  

Prog rock is pretty much "Look, I'm a smartass" rock.  Which makes it awesome.Cheesy

Ah, hence progressive.

On the subject of musical genres, I hate how "indie" is taken to be some sort of style of music.  Indie music is music that is produced either independently, or by independent record labels.

Well it's become a style of music because at the time most indie labels produced this poppy alternative-rock sound.  Thus, indie.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 07:36:49 PM »

care to comment?  

What the derp is "progressive rock"?  Musical genres make absolutely no sense.  I mean, I have yet to figure out what "industrial" is, and I'm not going to even bother figuring out what the derp "house" is supposed to be.

Wikipedia actually has a pretty good definition of progressive rock. 

Yes, early Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, ELP, Jethro Tull, Rush, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Coheed And Cambria and to an extent Muse are considered progressive rock bands.  It's all artsy, conceptual, long-winded, and often very difficult to play. 

Basically everything the early punks hated.... which makes it great, of course. 

Well now Punks at least have a sense of recognition for such great music.Cheesy

care to comment?  

Ah, hence progressive.

On the subject of musical genres, I hate how "indie" is taken to be some sort of style of music.  Indie music is music that is produced either independently, or by independent record labels.

Well it's become a style of music because at the time most indie labels produced this poppy alternative-rock sound.  Thus, indie.

There's another derpy music genre name, alternative.  "Yeah, I listen to alternative."  Alternative to what?  That's the kind of thing one of those artsy people who make a big deal about being "non-conformist" would say they listen to.

It used to be non-conformist, now it is conformist.Tongue

Name still applies though, it pretty much means mainstream now (well alternative to the real mainstream, which is post-grunge, pop, etc.)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 04:01:20 PM »

Now, what is the deal with this whole "post-" thing?

To differentiate itself from the original grunge fashion, post-grunge is the more mainstream version of that, with pop elements and usually predictable guitar hooks.

Very interesting electronic sound.  Good song overall.

I'm sort of meh on progressive rock. Being able to play one's instrument well is very important to me, but I find a great deal of progressive rock to be too light to be really enjoyable. I'd usually rather have some meat & potatoes than a candy bar, if that makes sense. I recall enjoying Dark Side Of The Moon, though.... Tongue

Everyone likes Dark Side of the Moon.  If you don't you'll be branded a heretic for the rest of your life.Tongue

care to comment?  

I don't like Prog other than King Crimson. Arguably, RIO music has been more progressive musically than most 'progressive' rock has. Bands like Henry Cow, Univers Zero, Blast, etc, have far more to offer than generic Genesis, or ELP crap.

care to comment?  

What the derp is "progressive rock"?  Musical genres make absolutely no sense.  I mean, I have yet to figure out what "industrial" is, and I'm not going to even bother figuring out what the derp "house" is supposed to be.

The name Industrial came from "Industrial Records", created by a confrontational electronic group, Throbbing Gristle. The name stuck to a wide variety of bands, and ultimately got taken over by lame dance music.

Prog rock is stuff like Pink Floyd. Long songs, lots of guitar solos etc. Tongue

Floyd wasn't prog. Smiley

Industrial isn't always lame dance music though.  I wouldn't consider NIN dance music lol.  And as for Prog vs. avant-garde, there's a bit of a weird, blurred distinction between them.  Where Prog has a set structure, avant-garde usually disavows that.  Although I have always considered the two to be pretty much the same thing considering they have the same purpose.

And don't go into that hell hole with the whole "Floyd isn't Prog" thing.  That only mucks everything further and the distinctions get more blurred.  Yes, they were technically Space Rock.  But classically Space Rock has been associated with Prog.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »

Everyone lumps stuff like Nine Inch Nails into metal though which really irritates me because I hate metal. I listen to stuff like Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden and people claim it is metal. Ugh.

Soundgarden is pretty much metal dude.Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 05:03:44 PM »

Everyone lumps stuff like Nine Inch Nails into metal though which really irritates me because I hate metal. I listen to stuff like Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden and people claim it is metal. Ugh.

Soundgarden is pretty much metal dude.Tongue

Maybe nowadays, but Superunknown era? Nah.

Yeah, even Superunknown era.  The main reason they're considered grunge is because they were from Seattle in the late 80s.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 11:02:23 PM »

Industrial isn't always lame dance music though.  I wouldn't consider NIN dance music lol.

I wouldn't consider any of Trent Reznor's music industrial at all.

Debatable of course.  They are generally associated with industrial though.

I'm not talking about metal bands though, I'm asking if they do it too.

All bands do.Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 09:41:56 AM »

This is actually not that big of an issue.  Imo, at least they tried something different with St. Anger while Death Magnetic was more or less back to basics.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies