The next Governor of Arkansas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:38:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The next Governor of Arkansas
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The next Governor of Arkansas  (Read 738 times)
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2010, 12:11:33 PM »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ODD_ELVIS_FOR_GOVERNOR?SITE=VAROA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

It looks like Mike Beebe has met his match.
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 01:02:16 PM »

I'm not counting on the Republican winning this election. Arkansas is one of those weird states that tends to vote Democrat in everything except Presidential elections. Personally I think it's a bit selfish. They elect Democrats at the state level to give them free gifts and then elect Republicans at the federal level to take them away from everyone else. Would someone from that state like to offer a better explanation than that?
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 01:09:19 PM »

Presley is not going to win the Governorship in Arkansas. At most, he gets close to 1% (maybe because some smart asses decide to write-in his name for fun, unknowingly). I expect Beebe to win this thing.

Also, Obscure is incorrect. Arkansas voted Republican in 2000 and 2004, when Huckabee was Governor. Yes, they voted for McCain by more than 10 points in 2008 with Beebe as Governor, but that's the only recent example I can think of.
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 01:13:23 PM »

Also, Obscure is incorrect. Arkansas voted Republican in 2000 and 2004, when Huckabee was Governor. Yes, they voted for McCain by more than 10 points in 2008 with Beebe as Governor, but that's the only recent example I can think of.

And yet their state legislature, both House and Senate, are Democrat controlled.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:08:54 PM »

Um... I think you guys missed the point here.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »

Well I'm not from Arkansas but I'd offer my opinion of why the state votes so Democratic. You're right, pretty much everything in Arkansas is controlled by Democrats at the state level. Save for Northwest Arkansas (where Wal-Mart was started in Bentonville), the state is heavily Democratic. It is one of the poorest states in the nation (only ahead of West Virginia and Mississippi, respectively). They vote Democratic at the local and state levels probably because the Arkansas Democratic Party is much more conservative than the mainstream Democratic Party, particularly on social issues. I'm not entirely sure why Al Gore didn't win the state in 2000 being Bill Clinton's running mate and from neighboring Tennessee; perhaps the GOP did a good job at portraying Gore as a "limousine liberal" or Bush being from Texas, which also neighbors Arkansas. They also did a good job at casting John Kerry as a big-city Massachusetts liberal, which is why he probably lost the state in 2004, and we don't need to mention why the state swung so heavily away from Barack Hussein Obama in 2008.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 09:52:30 PM »

If there's a God, he will win as well as Alvin Greene.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 09:54:45 PM »

If there's a God, he will win as well as Alvin Greene.

Amen.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies