Bad policy off the hoof
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:13:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Bad policy off the hoof
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bad policy off the hoof  (Read 833 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2010, 07:39:32 PM »

...I though that sort of thing was supposed to stop with 'the new politics'?

Snark aside, this idea is really, really, really fecking stupid*, and I just hope this is one of those cringeworthy moments in which a senior politician is asked a question, tries to desperately remember something relevant, puts two and two together and makes about forty six. It is August, so there's a good chance that that hope is not in vain...

*Not only is it laughably out of touch and hilariously ignorant (Cameron clearly does not know what council housing is for, and appears to have difficulty in viewing housing through any lens other than the nonsense of the 'property ladder'; of course, this is true of almost everyone from his class, but senior politicians ought to know... or at least be briefed... better), it directly contradicts the government's own rhetoric about communities and all that jazz. If implemented, this policy would destroy a lot of communities within a couple of decades. If anything the problem with council housing is the very opposite; tenure isn't as stable as it needs to be (and used to be).
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 07:47:29 PM »

...I though that sort of thing was supposed to stop with 'the new politics'?

Snark aside, this idea is really, really, really fecking stupid*, and I just hope this is one of those cringeworthy moments in which a senior politician is asked a question, tries to desperately remember something relevant, puts two and two together and makes about forty six. It is August, so there's a good chance that that hope is not in vain...

*Not only is it laughably out of touch and hilariously ignorant (Cameron clearly does not know what council housing is for, and appears to have difficulty in viewing housing through any lens other than the nonsense of the 'property ladder'; of course, this is true of almost everyone from his class, but senior politicians ought to know... or at least be briefed... better), it directly contradicts the government's own rhetoric about communities and all that jazz. If implemented, this policy would destroy a lot of communities within a couple of decades. If anything the problem with council housing is the very opposite; tenure isn't as stable as it needs to be (and used to be).

On yer bike!
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:19:44 AM »

Looks like the Member for Bermondsey isn't enamoured with the idea...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

- Paul Waugh
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:37:52 AM »

Oh dear. I could write out a fairly good argument for a version this plan, reasons why it is needed, international examples of it working, put to bed scaremongering over people 'loosing' their homes, looking at the practices of the Glasgow Housing Association and referencing both Labour and Tory policy papers on this.

But what's the point if this is the calibre of response Cheesy

'LOL'
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:11:14 PM »

The fundamental problem with ideas like this is that, the structure of housing in the U.K being what it is, is that they will ultimately lead to further residualisation, essentially completing the 'work' of right-to-buy in that respect.

Council housing was, of course, never supposed to be a form of medium-term accommodation for the poor and the reason for its general success was that precisely because of that. Someone living in the same council house all their life is not a social problem, the lack of social housing is the problem.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 03:06:05 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2010, 03:08:06 PM by Kucinichisdabest »

This government intends to destroy the working class.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »

Too late, Thatcher already did that.

But Cameron is actually, really really stupid. And I mean that as in he is actually mentally incapable of running the country. He is our Bush.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 04:23:37 PM »

But Cameron is actually, really really stupid. And I mean that as in he is actually mentally incapable of running the country. He is our Bush.

I love how that makes Nick Clegg, our Dick Cheney. Tongue
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »

I love how that makes Nick Clegg, our Dick Cheney. Tongue

Pretty accurate Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 05:12:55 PM »

But Cameron is actually, really really stupid. And I mean that as in he is actually mentally incapable of running the country.

Say what you like about him (and I have!) but there's no evidence that he's an idiot. In terms of policy, he's doing almost everything that a Conservative majority government would have done. All of the important ideological issues between the two coalition partners were resolved in favour of his.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 05:30:41 PM »

But Cameron is actually, really really stupid. And I mean that as in he is actually mentally incapable of running the country.

Say what you like about him (and I have!) but there's no evidence that he's an idiot. In terms of policy, he's doing almost everything that a Conservative majority government would have done. All of the important ideological issues between the two coalition partners were resolved in favour of his.

Look at how many slips he's made. The whole China thing during the debate, the junior partner comment, this... Maybe I should credit it more to the entire government though,.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 04:11:44 PM »

Cameron is clever in his own way, yes.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 01:41:23 PM »

Funnily enough:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/aug/06/is-david-cameron-the-new-george-dubya
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies