Untitled
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:49:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Untitled
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Untitled  (Read 374 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2010, 06:45:44 PM »

class consciousness is a mere relic in this world. the trend towards more 4-yr degrees is great. if we (unreplicated diagram..)

the idea must be to make the skilled nonlabor classes as large a proportion as possible alas the nonlaborer is educated, physically comfortable, and all these things constitute an investment in the status quo
--> not to mention the potential for indoctrination as more and more of the citizenry spend more and more time in post-HS.

a potent example of a nonlaborer as we speak of here is: a "Personal Banker" at a megacommercial bank. to provide the reader with an image before we continue: he must wear a suit and tie, and his "office" is a cubicle placed against a wall, containing a bulit-in desk and a computer.

physically, this man's day is not demanding; he sits in a padded, perhaps ergonomically engineered chair, air-conditioned in summer and heated in winter, and all the free coffee in the world at his disposal backstage. he has a degree, undoubtedly, in one of the specifically capital-sustaining trades; finance, accounting, etc.

in all of these things he is different from the laborer. but how is he not?

this man has no autonomy over his work. with every account opened he must, mechanically, ask people, if they would like to purchase the Gold Debit Card service for just $25 a year. he can facilitate people who wish to apply for a mortgage, but he does not have a voice in setting lending policy, nor does he even make the decision to approve a loan accordant to the lending policy already set by his higher-ups.

his days are all quite the same, rather frequent, and lengthy; he has no authority to determine what his work will be, and makes no decisions beyond "shall I use the bathroom now?" or "what shall I eat during my hour break at noon?" or, if he is exceedingly lucky, "should I start Roethlisberger or Garrard at fantasy QB this week?"

he does no thinking besides that memorization of processes which is necessary, and the proceeds of his work belong not to him but to his employer.

is this no the "alienation of labor" of which we constantly speak? ...the allegiance of a laborer has been bought by capital with some air conditioning and a comfy chair... and we must further anaylze the exactitudes of this system, what is achieves and for whom, and how it perpetuates...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies