As residents flee the new police state, Arizona's economy gets even worse
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:50:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  As residents flee the new police state, Arizona's economy gets even worse
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: As residents flee the new police state, Arizona's economy gets even worse  (Read 4705 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2010, 04:12:30 AM »

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/22/nation/la-na-immigration-phoenix-20100723

You must be logged in to read this quote.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 05:59:03 AM »

Leaving Arizona is a good idea anyway.  Too dry and the economy will never come back.  (I mean, after all, if what you're fleeing is fascism, where you gonna go?)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 08:29:48 AM »

Way to go, Arizona!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 08:32:32 AM »

It's not their fault, it's the illegals.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 08:35:39 AM »

Lol, liberal rage.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 08:37:45 AM »

So how many immigrants are actually leaving the state?  Nowhere does the article actually say!  The article talks about this business being in trouble (presumably because of illegal immigrants leaving).  Then it talks about businesses across the street so that the reader will make the connection.  At least they're honest enough to say this:

"At the corner of 43rd and Thomas, it's hard to determine how much of the neighborhood's woes stem from Arizona's immigration laws and how much from the state's economy, battered by a once red-hot housing marked that cooled."

It's amazing to me how, intelligent as this forum is, so many here are unable to use critical thinking.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 09:54:36 AM »

So how many immigrants are actually leaving the state?  Nowhere does the article actually say!  The article talks about this business being in trouble (presumably because of illegal immigrants leaving).  Then it talks about businesses across the street so that the reader will make the connection.  At least they're honest enough to say this:

"At the corner of 43rd and Thomas, it's hard to determine how much of the neighborhood's woes stem from Arizona's immigration laws and how much from the state's economy, battered by a once red-hot housing marked that cooled."

It's amazing to me how, intelligent as this forum is, so many here are unable to use critical thinking.

Whoever is leaving, the economy is slipping...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 10:09:49 AM »

Yeah protectionist measures (yeah that's right I'm calling nativist policies "protectionist", so sue me) usually have the effect of making the economy worse.
What I always found amazing though is how inconsistent a lot of these people are when they voice support for free trade yet support strongarm immigration legislation.....
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 10:27:25 AM »

Well, Arizona's shoddy economic structure is really what's doing it in.  The new law is the nail in the coffin.  That state is in for a long, difficult period ahead.  Phoenix is the poster child for the nonsense cities I detest so much and its situation is the perfect storm for implosion.  People would be wise to get out of Phoenix now regardless of Arizona's new law.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 10:35:22 AM »

Yeah protectionist measures (yeah that's right I'm calling nativist policies "protectionist", so sue me) usually have the effect of making the economy worse.
What I always found amazing though is how inconsistent a lot of these people are when they voice support for free trade yet support strongarm immigration legislation.....

Roll Eyes
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 11:06:23 AM »

Police state? Really, Lief?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 12:02:44 PM »

The collective amount of stupid in that article and in this thread is nauseating. If anyone ever needed a good example of why liberals are so dumb, the reaction to this law is a perfect case.

THIS LAW DOESN'T DO ANYTHING.

It's ridiculous that the police don't already have the right to see identification if you've committed a crime. They probably do, which renders the law moot.

If this shop owner should blame anyone for his misery, have him blame the media, the Democratic Party, and Mexicans who are dumb enough to think concentration camps and gas chambers await them.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 12:31:15 PM »

Calling people stupid... that's real convincing. Or am I liberal, too?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »

If you seriously think that this law is a big enough deal for the media to talk non-stop about for three weeks, that it's in any way equivalent to a police state (or Nazi Germany as CNN, MSNBC, and tons of liberal commentators claimed), or that it's going to cause some kind of economic collapse in Arizona, no amount of facts are going to get through to you.

This law does NOTHING. It's only a protection measure to prevent frivolous anti-discrimination lawsuits.

It's a pretty clear sign that our country is full of spoiled little brats that people think this is somehow akin to a totalitarian state.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 12:42:55 PM »

It's a pretty clear sign that our country is full of spoiled little brats that people think this is somehow akin to a totalitarian state.

You're mistaken, the tea party patriots aren't quite numerous enough to fill the country.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 12:46:48 PM »

You're mistaken, the tea party patriots aren't quite numerous enough to fill the country.

Whatever point you're trying to make needs further elucidation. I'm certainly not a "tea party patriot", and I don't know what they have to do with this.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 12:50:09 PM »

Whatever point you're trying to make needs further elucidation. I'm certainly not a "tea party patriot", and I don't know what they have to do with this.

Your description of spoiled little brats that this the country is somehow akin to a totalitarian state just reminded me of them.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 12:53:37 PM »

Your description of spoiled little brats that this the country is somehow akin to a totalitarian state just reminded me of them.

Ah, well I'd agree with that too, to an extent. Their anger is justified, but their solutions happen to be worse than the present situation.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 12:55:41 PM »

Will this do for Arizona what Smoot-Hawley did for 1930s America?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »

Police state?  That's not only inaccurate, but ironic considering who it's coming from.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 03:24:16 PM »

Will this do for Arizona what Smoot-Hawley did for 1930s America?

You know, quoting the worst excesses of an otherwise sound policy isn't very constructive. Tariffs were very effective in the 19th century.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 07:42:24 AM »

If you seriously think that this law is a big enough deal for the media to talk non-stop about for three weeks, that it's in any way equivalent to a police state (or Nazi Germany as CNN, MSNBC, and tons of liberal commentators claimed), or that it's going to cause some kind of economic collapse in Arizona, no amount of facts are going to get through to you.

This law does NOTHING. It's only a protection measure to prevent frivolous anti-discrimination lawsuits.

I'm glad you are unbiased and know everything about me.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 09:22:19 AM »

One aspect of the AZ law seems to be overlooked. It was passed and signed after April 1, 2010. If it does gave an effect on the population, it is after the census count. Reapportionment and any required Hispanic-majority districts will be based on pre-SB1070 residents in AZ. The electoral results in 2012 may not match with the expectations from the census count.

There may be other fiscal implication for the state. If the population does decrease because of the bill, it increases the federal dollars per person in the state, since programs are often based on the official census population, not current estimates.
Mjh

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 10:00:52 AM »

So the illegals are packing their stuff and moving away?

Goody then!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 11:08:21 AM »

So the illegals are packing their stuff and moving away?

Goody then!

Right.  muon2, wasn't it written and shown in polling that legal mexicans and other latinos support this law overwhelmingly?   Or was I reading an opinion piece?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies