Wars Don't Make Heroes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:03:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wars Don't Make Heroes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wars Don't Make Heroes  (Read 1233 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2010, 05:16:25 PM »

“Our American Heroes”
Why It’s Wrong to Equate Military Service with Heroism

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I found this to be a pretty good read. The military idolatry in this country is simply out-of-control.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »

Your self-righteousness in disrespecting people who serve this nation is vile. No doubt the military bureaucracy is bloated and the directives from presidents are often futile, but to crap on individual soldiers is disgusting.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 07:12:46 PM »

Your self-righteousness in disrespecting people who serve this nation is vile. No doubt the military bureaucracy is bloated and the directives from presidents are often futile, but to crap on individual soldiers is disgusting.

Thank you for insightful commentary on the article...oh wait you clearly didn't even read the article, you're just regurgitating typical knee-jerk neocon talking points. Roll Eyes

Sorry I don't live in your fantasy land.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 07:49:31 PM »

Thanking soldiers, but not calling them heroes, as the article said, is "crapping on individual soldiers"?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 07:51:23 PM »

I really liked the article. The two points that resonated with me: elevating everyone in the military to hero status prolongs wars and masks the atrocities of war.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 10:19:17 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2010, 10:21:02 PM by Mitt Romney's Hair »

You're misinterpreting the word 'heroes.'

Our military are heroes, though, not because they are the next Marvel superheroes that are spreading good around the world, but because they are heroic.

They are volunteering their time commitment, putting their lives in danger, and perhaps even sacrificing their lives in order for us citizens back home to remain free, while at the same time liberating others who live in oppressive regimes.

I'm not a big military man (although my passion is indeed foreign policy and international security) in the sense that I don't think it is necessary for our President to have been involved in war before becoming our Commander in Chief. IE, I don't care if our President fought in Vietnam or not.

But to deny that those serving our country over seas are heroic, fighting battles that the rest of us are lucky to evade due to there no longer being a draft, is being pretty disrespectful and ignorant of their actions that are focused on making the nation and the rest of the world a better place.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 10:41:36 PM »

Our military are heroes, though, not because they are the next Marvel superheroes that are spreading good around the world, but because they are heroic.

They are volunteering their time commitment, putting their lives in danger, and perhaps even sacrificing their lives in order for us citizens back home to remain free, while at the same time liberating others who live in oppressive regimes.

I'm not a big military man (although my passion is indeed foreign policy and international security) in the sense that I don't think it is necessary for our President to have been involved in war before becoming our Commander in Chief. IE, I don't care if our President fought in Vietnam or not.

But to deny that those serving our country over seas are heroic, fighting battles that the rest of us are lucky to evade due to there no longer being a draft, is being pretty disrespectful and ignorant of their actions that are focused on making the nation and the rest of the world a better place.

Except they aren't. Individuals who happen to be in the military may do heroic things, but there is nothing inherently heroic about the military itself.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 10:54:14 PM »

Except they aren't. Individuals who happen to be in the military may do heroic things, but there is nothing inherently heroic about the military itself.

I don't fully see what you're trying to say.

When the troops are announced at baseball games, for example, why do you think the American faithful rise out of their seats and applaud? Because they are recognizing those fallen troops who have given their lives to the cause, they are welcoming back those who have returned safely, and are thanking those who remain engaged in combat in far off lands who's actions are protecting us here at home.

If our troops are heroic, then that makes them heroes.

Furthermore, I really have no idea what you mean when you say that nothing about war is heroic. Now, sure, we shouldn't idolize and worship war. But you don't think there's something heroic about toppling a brutal dictator like Saddam Hussein and freeing oppressed Iraqis (leaving the WMD and other struggles a side)? You don't think Bill Clinton going into Yugoslavia to stop genocide isn't heroic? You don't think the battle on the beaches of Normandy to stop Hitler's goal of world wide domination isn't heroic?

Remove the United States from the equation, whether it's military aid or economic aid or whatever, and the world becomes even worse.

I agree with the Wilson, Truman, Bush, et all who all believed in making the world safe for democracy. The fact that the United States engages in battles not only for self-interested purposes but also for those suffering around the world is indeed heroic and it's something to be proud of and not ashamed of.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 11:00:22 PM »

When the troops are announced at baseball games, for example, why do you think the American faithful rise out of their seats and applaud? Because they are recognizing those fallen troops who have given their lives to the cause, they are welcoming back those who have returned safely, and are thanking those who remain engaged in combat in far off lands who's actions are protecting us here at home.

Because people are sheeple who act in groups as society expects them to. You're deluding yourself if you think the people who stand up and applaud are acting that way for any reason other than that they've been conditioned to do so.

No, I don't consider illegal acts of aggression to be heroic. Saddam Hussein will look like a good guy compared to the imperial theocratic hellhole we're creating over there.

Wilson, Truman, Bush are coincidentally some of the worst presidents in U.S. history.

And LOL at the idea that the U.S. engages in these wars for any reason other than serving the interests of corporate elites and neocon imperialism.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 11:06:58 PM »

Because people are sheeple who act in groups as society expects them to. You're deluding yourself if you think the people who stand up and applaud are acting that way for any reason other than that they've been conditioned to do so.

No, I don't consider illegal acts of aggression to be heroic. Saddam Hussein will look like a good guy compared to the imperial theocratic hellhole we're creating over there.

Wilson, Truman, Bush are coincidentally some of the worst presidents in U.S. history.

And LOL at the idea that the U.S. engages in these wars for any reason other than serving the interests of corporate elites and neocon imperialism.

You have realized that the United States gives the most in aid to countries in crisis, right?

You have realized George W. Bush did a lot for AIDs in Africa, right?

You have realized Clinton's actions in Yugoslavia were not self-motivated, right?

You have realized that it's perfectly fine and acceptable to act on self interest anyway, right?

You have realized that it doesn't matter if helping others isn't the main motivation, as long as it's done in the process and others can live in freer societies, right?

Well if you didn't, you know now.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 11:08:21 PM »

TV Tropes has an article that sums up this very well: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DumbassHasAPoint
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 11:11:37 PM »

You have realized that the United States gives the most in aid to countries in crisis, right?
Yes, lot's of money is stolen from the American taxpayers that could have gone to good causes and instead is funneled to theocratic terrorist regimes like Israel, Egypt, and Pakistan.

George W. Bush didn't do a damn thing for anyone. I didn't know he was a medical researcher or charity worker in Africa.

There's probably nothing Bill Clinton has ever done in his life that wasn't self-motivated.

No, not when acting in one's self interest harms the welfare of others.

No, it's wrong.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 11:14:21 PM »

George W. Bush didn't do a damn thing for anyone.

How dare you criticize Bush like that? He did plenty for a few wealthy defense contractor CEOs.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 11:16:40 PM »

It depends on how you define hero. Definitions range from "a highly admirable person" or "one who shows great courage" to the somewhat more specific "one who willingly puts themselves in existential danger to help others." By these definitions, some troops are heroes, but not all troops are heroes. But recognizing a hero does not mean being blind to the horrors of war or the moral ambiguities therein. It may simply be a recognition of fact that this or that person risked their life in the service of others.

In most cases, 'others' of course is not likely the abstract American people, as civilians like to think, but the mates and fellow soldiers of the moment. Some may even join the combat forces for the pure joy of being in danger and fighting or even killing. So it is really impossible to say whether a person is a hero or not. But for understandable reasons, most civilians treat volunteer military fighters who have returned from combat as heroes. So it has always been.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 11:20:21 PM »

It depends on how you define hero. Definitions range from "a highly admirable person" or "one who shows great courage" to the somewhat more specific "one who willingly puts themselves in existential danger to help others." By these definitions, some troops are heroes, but not all troops are heroes. But recognizing a hero does not mean being blind to the horrors of war or the moral ambiguities therein. It may simply be a recognition of fact that this or that person risked their life in the service of others.

In most cases, 'others' of course is not likely the abstract American people, as civilians like to think, but the mates and fellow soldiers of the moment. Some may even join the combat forces for the pure joy of being in danger and fighting or even killing. So it is really impossible to say whether a person is a hero or not. But for understandable reasons, most civilians treat volunteer military fighters who have returned from combat as heroes. So it has always been.

Thank you. I was also about to discuss the definition. From Wikipedia:

Later, hero (male) and heroine (female) came to refer to characters who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self sacrifice—that is, heroism—for some greater good of all humanity.

And that, my dear friends, is Mission Accomplished. Smiley
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 11:20:55 PM »

George W. Bush didn't do a damn thing for anyone.

How dare you criticize Bush like that? He did plenty for a few wealthy defense contractor CEOs.

Mea culpa. You're right, he did do a hell of a lot to enrich his buddies in the military-industrial complex, big oil, the state of Israel, etc.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 11:22:08 AM »

There's a grain of truth to the article (the word "hero" is overused) but essentially it's someone who doesn't like the Iraq war whining about how much Americans respect our Armed Forces.  I'll credit all of our men and women who have seen combat as heroes until proven otherwise.  I will also continue wincing every time an idiotic news anchor describes a crime victim as "heroic" for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and doing nothing special.  That's where the term is really being overused.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 08:14:56 AM »

Please, for the love of f-cking God, stop posting links to that website.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies