An American absurd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:45:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  An American absurd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: An American absurd  (Read 18324 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »

By Shira.

When a country is evaluated as to how advanced it is, the first indicator is Life Expectancy

When a county is evaluated as to how advanced it is, I suggest taking how advanced it is into consideration.

The United States is the greatest economic power in the world. It's the greatest military power in the world. It's the greatest political power in the world.

Oh, and we're hated by France. I think that alone proves we're a great nation.
Shira

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2004, 10:13:56 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2004, 10:17:30 PM by Shira »

Well, it was the left that decided to *make* this an issue in the first place by forcing the issue in Massachusetts. Go blame them for it...

It was not done by Kerry. Kerry was very upset with this wrong decision at the worst timing.
When it happened my mother's reaction was "expect troubles"

Bush: "Thank you Massachusetts supreme court"

Shira

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2004, 10:19:56 PM »

Massachusetts Supreme Court may have won Bush this election.

It sounds strange, but I agree with you.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2004, 10:25:22 PM »

I doubt it.  This issue came up under Clinton, who signed DOMA.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2004, 10:27:11 PM »

Well, it was the left that decided to *make* this an issue in the first place by forcing the issue in Massachusetts. Go blame them for it...

It was not done by Kerry. Kerry was very upset with this wrong decision at the worst timing.

"Expect Troubles" is an understatement...so is "wrong decision at the worst timing". Did we really need to have yet another big issue to argue about? Too late now...
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2004, 10:31:17 PM »

It becomes more and more clear that these elections were practically decided by the gay marriage artificial issue.

If only 50,000 voters in Ohio had voted the other way, Bush would have lost and we would have been listening to a completely different talking. “Where did the Rep go wrong?” etc.  Because the margin in Ohio is so small, I can confidentially say that the “gay marriage”  decided these elections.

What a shame!

Well, wallow in it for the next four years, sister.  Play the "what if" game if you have to.  We'll live in the real world for you.
Shira

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2004, 10:31:31 PM »

many Bush supporters care about the Iraq debacle as well. 

The majority (not all) of Bush supporters were manipulated to believe that Sadam is responsible for 9/11.

The bible accurately describes these people:
"They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness"
Psalm (82:5)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2004, 10:34:14 PM »

Saddam has ties to Al Qaeda. Bush never told anyone Saddam was responsible for 9/11.

The war was to stop him from being responsible for 9/11 version 2.0.
Shira

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2004, 10:35:23 PM »

"Expect Troubles" is an understatement...so is "wrong decision at the worst timing". Did we really need to have yet another big issue to argue about? Too late now...

Again. It was not done by Kerry and he could not prevent it.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2004, 10:39:29 PM »

I really doubt 60,000 people changed their vote to Bush because of gay marriage. They can still vote yes on an amendment and vote Kerry.

You have to believe that 120,000 religious people who wouldn't have otherwise voted were persuaded to show up because of this issue. Possible, albeit unlikely
Shira

« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2004, 10:39:41 PM »

Saddam has ties to Al Qaeda. Bush never told anyone Saddam was responsible for 9/11.

I am not talking about what Bush did or did not tell. I am talking about what many of his voters sincerily believe, or more accurately, were manipulated to believe.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2004, 10:40:29 PM »

Hey, I didn't blame him for it in the first place. But rightly or wrongly, it did play a role...which surprised me a bit in its intensity...
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2004, 10:42:31 PM »

I am not talking about what Bush did or did not tell. I am talking about what many of his voters sincerily believe, or more accurately, were manipulated to believe.

Who manipulated them and how were they manipulated?
Shira

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2004, 10:47:58 PM »

Hey, I didn't blame him for it in the first place. But rightly or wrongly, it did play a role...which surprised me a bit in its intensity...

It decided OH because the margin there was narrow. If the margin were like in KY or IN then it would have a negligible affect

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2004, 10:53:02 PM »

Uh, 120,000 votes is not narrow.
Shira

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2004, 10:57:45 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2004, 11:11:30 PM by Shira »

Who manipulated them and how were they manipulated?

First, almost  half of the voters believe that Sadam is responsible for 9/11 and these are not Kerry's voters.

Bush has never said it explicitly, but implicitly he transmitted it many many times.

BTW: When FOX brings the Iraq stuff, they put it in the section "War on Terror".
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2004, 11:01:53 PM »

The Iraq war is the War on Terror.

That's not because Saddam was behind 9/11. It's because he had ties to Al Qaeda and could have brought about 9/11 2.

Thinking Hussein caused 9/11 is stupid, but it's no more stupid than thinking Bush lied about WMDs, or not understanding economics worth a damn, or not knowing the stock market crashed before Bush took office, or not realizing that taxing corporations adds to the price of the products you buy.

Both sides have stupid voters.
Shira

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2004, 11:10:36 PM »

It is 51:49 margin.
As I said, if only 50,000 (out of 2.8 M) of Bush voters had voted the other way then we would have heard different tunes.

BTW: In 2000 the margin in OH was 3.5%  for Bush.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2004, 11:11:11 PM »

It decided OH because the margin there was narrow. If the margin were like in KY or IN then it would have a negligible affect

It didn't appear to determine Michigan or Oregon, either. Wink
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2004, 11:13:09 PM »

It is 51:49 margin.
As I said, if only 50,000 (out of 2.8 M) of Bush voters had voted the other way then we would have heard different tunes.

BTW: In 2000 the margin in OH was 3.5%  for Bush.

I said:

I really doubt 60,000 people changed their vote to Bush because of gay marriage. They can still vote yes on an amendment and vote Kerry.

You have to believe that 120,000 religious people who wouldn't have otherwise voted were persuaded to show up because of this issue. Possible, albeit unlikely
Shira

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2004, 11:18:20 PM »

Yes. The margin there was not as narrow as in OH. I assume that Kerry probably lost 1% in these two states because of this, but as I said, the margin was safe enough.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2004, 11:25:08 PM »

If there are 120,000 religious people in Ohio that wouldn't have otherwise voted, it might have made a difference.

This is a larger margin, BTW, than Kennedy won by nationally in 1960.
Shira

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2004, 11:38:17 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2004, 11:47:24 PM by Shira »

"because of gay marriage" - not that's what I am saying. Among Bush voters there were enough voters that potentially could have voted the other way. 50,000 is less than 1% of the toal number.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2004, 11:42:20 PM »

Yes. The margin there was not as narrow as in OH. I assume that Kerry probably lost 1% in these two states because of this, but as I said, the margin was safe enough.
Ah, okay, I see what you mean. Still, when you get down to the last percent or two, anything could make the difference, including which candidate is stronger on defending America from mind control rays from Mars. Smiley
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2004, 11:46:37 PM »

Ah, okay, I see what you mean. Still, when you get down to the last percent or two, anything could make the difference, including which candidate is stronger on defending America from mind control rays from Mars. Smiley

Bush of course!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies