Why going green won't make you better or save you money
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:43:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why going green won't make you better or save you money  (Read 1259 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »

For more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/16/AR2010071606839_pf.html

By Michael S. Rosenwald
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, July 18, 2010; G01

Like most Whole Foods shoppers, David Bain thinks he is a decent citizen of Earth. His family buys mostly organic food. They recycle. He recently fortified his green credentials by removing a leaking oil tank in his yard.

But here's a head scratcher: Though the Bains live in Arlington within walking distance of Whole Foods, they often drive there in an SUV that gets just 19 miles per gallon. He has noticed that his SUV is not alone in the lot.

Does that make Bain a hypocrite? He paused before responding: "I could see how people would come to that conclusion, but I don't have the illusion that people's decision-making is always logical."

We drink Diet Coke -- with Quarter Pounders and fries at McDonald's. We go to the gym -- and ride the elevator to the second floor. We install tankless water heaters -- then take longer showers. We drive SUVs to see Al Gore's speeches on global warming.

These behavioral riddles beg explanation, and social psychologists are offering one in new studies. The academic name for such quizzical behavior is moral licensing. It seems that we have a good/bad balance sheet in our heads that we're probably not even aware of. For many people, doing good makes it easier -- and often more likely -- to do bad. It works in reverse, too: Do bad, then do good.

"We have these internal negotiations going in our heads all day, even if we don't know it," said Benoît Monin, a social psychologist who studies moral licensing at Stanford University. "People's past behavior literally gives them license to do that next thing, which might not be good."

The implications of moral licensing are vast, stretching beyond consumer decisions and into politics and environmental policy. Monin published a study showing that voters given an opportunity to endorse Barack Obama for president were more likely to later favor white people for job openings. Social psychologists point to government standards for fuel efficiency as another example of moral licensing at work: Automakers can sell a certain number of gas guzzlers as long as their overall fleet achieves a specified miles-per-gallon rating.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 03:21:05 PM »

Interesting...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 03:35:15 PM »

Lol journalism. Stupid Article. Stupid Title. I repeat, lol journalism.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 03:36:34 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2010, 03:39:31 PM by phknrocket1k »

Lol ancient history Lol Europeans have bad math skills Lol
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 04:04:02 PM »

Lol ancient history Lol Europeans have bad math skills Lol

Point?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 04:30:11 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2010, 04:32:16 PM by Bunwoah »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Luckily we had this study to be aware of this new concept...

What this other Benoît says would also be right on a larger scale. Green has been the growing point of view during the last decades to the point it clearly became the winning fashion and point of view of the last decade, but now conservative backlash would take over in the decade to come imo, psychologically, and also because the 1st big oil crisis, which I find quite possible during the decade to come, could make coal very trendy again. And if we have a future people would then consider that it has been assholery to say f**k to Green stuffs, and while an oil crisis would have promoted coal back it could also certainly push the ecological technologies up.

Then the society did bad, then good because it did bad, and would do bad considering it has been too fussy in making good. And so it would go, not sure there is a new concept here.

While studies that concretely show facts can be interesting to know, maybe social searchers should sometimes read philosophy or something like that before coming with 'new concepts'...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 04:36:36 PM »

I haven't bought food in a supermarket in years, and I don't walk to the restaurant either.

But I rather like this kind of journalism, though of course I don't read it.  The point is 'people are silly asses', and the journalist displays himself, his craft, and style as proof, if the insipid content is not sufficient.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 05:05:43 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2010, 05:07:32 PM by Lief »

Yes, people who think they're green but drive SUVs are idiots. Why do we need a newspaper article about this?

And this David Bain guy is still better than the average American who eats crap, doesn't recycle, litters and drives an SUV. At least he's doing something!
kemikalije
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 05:50:23 AM »

Going green is two way street..

you buy "green light bulb".. with this you consume xy% less electricity. But for manufacture this light bulb you consume insane amounts of electricty and toxic materials. These materials are thrown back to enviroment... and the cylcle is repeated again.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 10:06:04 AM »

Going green is two way street..

you buy "green light bulb".. with this you consume xy% less electricity. But for manufacture this light bulb you consume insane amounts of electricty and toxic materials. These materials are thrown back to enviroment... and the cylcle is repeated again.

Luckily ecology is not summed up to those.

Also, I'm strong supporter of LEDs, the best on any aspects.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies