Minnick rejects Tea Party endorsement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:03:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Minnick rejects Tea Party endorsement
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Minnick rejects Tea Party endorsement  (Read 742 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:04:26 AM »

Rep. Walt Minnick (D-Idaho) sent a letter to the Tea Party Express Monday calling the blog post from activist Mark Williams “reprehensible.”

“Since the Tea Party Express refuses to reject and rebuke Mr. Williams, I have no choice but to decline your endorsement,” Minnick wrote, adding that he hopes the group eventually sees “the error of its ways.”

Williams sparked a furor last week when he posted a “satirical” letter from NAACP head Ben Jealous to President Abraham Lincoln.  “We Colored People have taken a vote and decided that we don't cotton to that whole emancipation thing. Freedom means having to work for real, think for ourselves, and take consequences along with the rewards,” the letter said. “That is just far too much to ask of us Colored People and we demand that it stop!”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0710/39929.html#ixzz0uE9p23YH
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:52:07 AM »

That's really an idiotic decision for a very vulnerable incumbent to make - he won't gain any votes from the (very few in number) Democratic partisans, who would vote for him anyway, but he'll lose a ton of votes from conservatives who felt comfortable voting for him due to the Tea Party endorsement.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 09:55:26 AM »

That's really an idiotic decision for a very vulnerable incumbent to make - he won't gain any votes from the (very few in number) Democratic partisans, who would vote for him anyway, but he'll lose a ton of votes from conservatives who felt comfortable voting for him due to the Tea Party endorsement.

It's not like he's going to be reelected no matter what he does, he might as well take a principled stand.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:01:38 AM »

He rejected the endorsement of the "Tea Party Express", the national astroturf group. He says in his statement that he enjoys good relations with the local tea partiers.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 10:59:23 AM »

Good. I can't imagine that carrying the endorsement of a national party whose main face is Sarah Palin would have done him any good.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 11:06:32 AM »

And I thought Raul Labrador was sort of a tea partier? Wasn't he branded as such earlier?
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 11:09:57 AM »

And I thought Raul Labrador was sort of a tea partier? Wasn't he branded as such earlier?

Only race in the nation where both candidates have Tea Party support.

(P.S. And Minnick still will, since the Tea Party Express, I expect, won't really mean jack - it's all up to the Tea Partiers in his district)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 12:39:07 PM »

More on the "Tea Party Express":

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh boy oh boy, I wonder how many of them are sweating bullets over this latest story?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »

Good. I can't imagine that carrying the endorsement of a national party whose main face is Sarah Palin would have done him any good.

It's Idaho.  One of the few states where it would.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 09:21:17 PM »

It's not like he's going to be reelected no matter what he does, he might as well take a principled stand.

Actually it appears that he may be favored, oddly enough.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies