Kerry +8 in Illinois (Mason-Dixon)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:51:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kerry +8 in Illinois (Mason-Dixon)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kerry +8 in Illinois (Mason-Dixon)  (Read 4774 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2004, 05:00:03 PM »
« edited: March 15, 2004, 05:01:57 PM by Vorlon »

http://www.mason-dixon.com/news_text.cfm?news_id=186

One more data point as we try to build a "national" picture..

Mason Dixon - an A+ polling firm.  
Their sample size of 600 (+/- 4.0% 19 times out of 20) is a tad smallish - other than that an excellent firm.

Gore carried Illinois by 12.01% in 2000, so Bush down 'only" 8 is actually kinda/sorta good news for the GOP if it portends for a national trend... or it could just be the margin of error of the poll...

Illinois is highly unlikely to be a true battle ground state - if this state ever truly gets into play Bush is looking at a huge landslide..

One more data point on the map...
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 05:02:23 PM »

Their sample size of 600 (+/- 4.0% 19 times out of 20) is a tad smallish - other than that an excellent firm.

Gore carried Illinois by 12.01% in 2000, so Bush down 'only" is actually kinda/sorta good news if for the GOP if it portends for a national trend... or it could just be the margin of error of the poll...

Illinois is highly unlikely to be a true battle ground state - if this state ever truly gets into play Bush is looking at a huge landslide..

Why is Illinois so solidly Dem?  It surrounded by MI, IA, WI, and MN.  All can be considered swing states (MI to a lesser extant, i think its reliable Dem terriory) except Illinois.  Chicago i guess?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 05:03:53 PM »

Gore carried Illinois by 12.01% in 2000, so Bush down 'only" is actually kinda/sorta good news if for the GOP if it portends for a national trend... or it could just be the margin of error of the poll...

Why is Illinois so solidly Dem?  It surrounded by MI, IA, WI, and MN.  All can be considered swing states (MI to a lesser extant, i think its reliable Dem terriory) except Illinois.  Chicago i guess?

You might as well ask why Indiana is so solidly Rep...that's actually worse, since Illinois at least used to be a swing state, but isn't any more.
CTguy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 05:05:23 PM »

Some of us were having the discussion on another board about undecided voters and how they will probably break for Kerry.  So given the fact that more than 10% of voters are undecided in that poll, even if they break at around the same ratio as other voters in the poll, that should add a couple %age points margin to Kerry's lead.  So Kerry is probably set to win Illinois by about the same margin of 12% as Gore did in 2000.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 05:05:27 PM »

You might as well ask why Indiana is so solidly Rep...that's actually worse, since Illinois at least used to be a swing state, but isn't any more.

Why IS INdiana the way it is?  : P
zachman

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 05:05:51 PM »

Indiana is the New Hampshire of the Great Lakes States.

As for the poll, other polls in Illinois have indicated a comparable lead for Kerry to 2000, so I will dismiss this single result.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 05:06:20 PM »

Why IS INdiana the way it is?  : P

You tell me, it's your country. Wink
California Dreamer

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 05:14:06 PM »

Both parties have already targeted the swing states. Bush Cheney, Kerry and the dem leaning 527's are running ads in only 16 states.

If Dem states like Illinois, New York or California come into play then Kerry has already lost. The same would be said if Texas, Georgia or Utah come into play for Kerry.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 05:20:26 PM »

I grew up in St Louis right across the border - a lot of downstate Illinois is fairly Republican, but near St. Louis its Dem.  Chicago is of course mostly Dem due to minorities, unions, and rich liberals.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 05:23:23 PM »

Indiana is similar to non-urban downstate Illinois, and West/Central Ohio, and Missouri minus St Louis.  Basically its a state that happens to have only one big city, and its an unusually Republican city.  You see the same phenomenon in OH.  Southern Indiana is similar to KY, and is in a way almost Southern - very, very conservative.
CTguy

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 05:44:45 PM »

It seems like you can predict how states will vote based on how many urban centers they have.  That's why I think Nevada is going to be even closer than 2004 with the Las Vegas metro area growing so rapidly.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 05:46:14 PM »

Generally, Connecticut is an obvious exception though.  As is Texas.
zachman

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 05:50:12 PM »

Texas has a bunch of everything, but the majority should be identified as Southern.
CTguy

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 05:52:11 PM »

How is Connecticut an exception?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 05:53:05 PM »

I was simply pointing out two obvious counterexamples.  TX has three of the ten most populous cities in the nation, according to the 2000 census, while CT has zero.  I'm not saying the suggested Rule-of-Thumb is total baloney.
zachman

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2004, 05:54:11 PM »

CT is probably the most partisan state in the union.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2004, 05:55:59 PM »

Exactly.
CTguy

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2004, 05:56:10 PM »

Oh I see what you mean,

I think also though that the general metropolitan area is a factor.  For example, Connecticut's most populous county is within the NYC metro area and the other end of the state is within the Boston metro area.  So even though NYC is not in the state, much of the population has migrated from the city.

But I do agree big-time with the Texas example.
CTguy

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2004, 05:56:51 PM »

CT is probably the most partisan state in the union.

CT?  I thought it was Massachusetts!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2004, 05:57:13 PM »

No, that'd be UTAH.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2004, 08:33:34 PM »

CT like Jersey.  South Jersey is in the Philadelphia area, North in the NYC area.  

Kinda wish Jersey had its own area : (

At least we got the shore!  : D  Averages more visitors than any other place in the nation annually.  
zachman

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2004, 08:40:06 PM »

The Republicans in Connecticut are consistent on a national level, and would probably stay in the party no matter how non-Connectican the nominee is. The same thing is true with the Democrats there.
Demrepdan

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2004, 11:01:02 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2004, 11:02:07 PM by Forum Affairs Secretary Demrepdan »

Indiana has voted Republican since 1968.....Illinois voted Republican since 1968 except in 1992, 1996, and 2000. In other words.....there were SIX elections in which Illinois voted Republican....and only THREE where it voted Demcratic. I still consider Illinois a swing state......you don't vote Republican 2/3rds of the time....and then be considered SOLIDLY Democratic just because you voted for the Democrat the other 1/3.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2004, 11:03:18 PM »

I'm curious.  Isn't Illinois outside of Chicago a lot like Indiana in voting patterns with the difference being the overwhelming Democratic vote in Chicago?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2004, 11:20:59 PM »

Illinois outside Chicago has a Republican majority but a number of quite solidly Democratic areas as well. The outer Chicago suburbs are heavily Republican, however. (But trending Dem). So I guess if you'd removed Cook County but not the other suburbs it'd be quite similar to Indiana in results, but if you go only by rural Illinois, it'd be to the left of IN.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies