Thomas Jefferson, Democrats, and Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 03:54:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Thomas Jefferson, Democrats, and Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thomas Jefferson, Democrats, and Republicans  (Read 6413 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2010, 08:34:17 PM »

So Jefferson's party was called the Republican (Democratic-Republican) Party, but I've seen Jefferson referred to as the "father of the Democratic Party."

Which party can trace its lineage to Jefferson, the modern Republican or the Democratic Party? Or neither?

Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 08:40:36 PM »

So Jefferson's party was called the Republican (Democratic-Republican) Party, but I've seen Jefferson referred to as the "father of the Democratic Party."

Which party can trace its lineage to Jefferson, the modern Republican or the Democratic Party? Or neither?

Neither, but as a slave owner and the democrats being the party supporting the south during the Civil War I guess they could find some similarities.
WillK

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:10:46 PM »

At one time or another, both have claimed that lineage but i think neither is the better answer.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 11:26:17 PM »

The party was know as the Republicans at the time. When the Federalists collapsed, America was basically a one-party system under the Republicans (look at the 1824 Pres. election). Eventually, the party split off into other parties, many of which later became the Whigs. The remaining faction became the Democratic party as we know it under Andrew Jackson.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 11:43:55 PM »

Both were in some way derived, but the lineage is closer for the Democrats.
The Democratic-Republicans split into factions during the 1820s, resulting in the formation of the Jacksonian Democrats and the National Republicans, which became the Whigs. The National Republicans/Whigs were generally closer to the policies of the defunct Federalist party than to those of the Jeffersonian Republicans.

I think of the lineage as basically this:

Anti-Federalists --> Jefferson Republicans --> (major faction) Democratic-Republicans --> Jackson Democrats --> Democratic Party

Federalists -->  ( faction within Democratic-Republican Party) --> National Republicans --> Whigs --> (+anti-slavery Democrats, minor factions) Republican Party
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 08:43:05 PM »

The Democratic-Republicans split into factions during the 1820s, resulting in the formation of the Jacksonian Democrats and the National Republicans, which became the Whigs. The National Republicans/Whigs were generally closer to the policies of the defunct Federalist party than to those of the Jeffersonian Republicans.

Anti-Federalists --> Jefferson Republicans --> (major faction) Democratic-Republicans --> Jackson Democrats --> Democratic Party

Federalists -->  ( faction within Democratic-Republican Party) --> National Republicans --> Whigs --> (+anti-slavery Democrats, minor factions) Republican Party

Don't forget that southern Whigs became Democrats after the Whig Party's collapse.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 09:23:28 PM »

Don't forget that southern Whigs became Democrats after the Whig Party's collapse.

Not quite.  The Southern Whigs along with some Northern Whigs, first became Know-Nothings under the campaign name of American Party and they also provided most of the support of the short-lived Constitutional Union Party of 1860.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies