Department of External Affairs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:57:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Department of External Affairs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Department of External Affairs  (Read 5687 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2010, 09:25:24 PM »
« edited: August 15, 2010, 06:16:49 PM by Secretary of External Affairs Ben »

Welcome to the Department of External Affairs
Bienvenue au ministère des Affaires extérieures
Bienvenido al Departamento de Asuntos Exteriores
ברוכים הבאים ל המחלקה לקשרי חוץ
Willkommen in der Abteilung für Auswärtige Angelegenheiten
Bem-vindo ao Departamento de Assuntos Externos
Welkom bij het ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken
Zapraszamy do Departamentu Spraw Zagranicznych
مرحبا بكم في وزارة الشؤون الخارجية
Добро пожаловать в министерство иностранных дел*

* The DoEA does not take responsibility for unfortunate errors in translation. Blame Google.  Thank you.

Also, I wish to post this quote, which has been framed and hangs above my doorway:
You have the job I want the most, but I'm sure you will do an excellent job.  Best of luck to you.
I fear for the world's future should you ever get this job Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 07:10:50 AM »

Times change, don't they....Mr. SoEA? Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 10:18:48 AM »

Indeed they do, Senator.  Indeed they do.

While my office will be open, my first major address will be given on July 14, during my visit to Paris to meet with President Sarkozy.  You will not want to miss this speech.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 09:41:30 PM »

Communiqué

The Department of External Affairs offers its fullest congratulations to Spain on winning the 2010 World Cup, and congratulates the Netherlands for playing an excellent, competitive match.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:34:20 AM »

Communiqué

The Department of External Affairs offers its fullest congratulations to Spain on winning the 2010 World Cup, and congratulates the Netherlands for playing an excellent, competitive match.

Did the honorable SoEA watch the same game that I did? Smiley Diplomats..
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:29:22 PM »

Transcript of SoEA Ben's speech to the French Parliament in Paris, France :: July 14, 2010

Mr. President, Madame First Lady, assembled dignitaries,

Eleven score and one year ago, a group of men proclaimed liberty, equality, and fraternity as basic rights of man.  In the two centuries since then, though, nation after nation has disregarded these rights.  I cannot emphasize enough the importance of human rights, and of every nation respecting them.  I am proud to call Atlasia a beacon of human rights – we always have, and it is my sincere hope that we will continue to be.

Now, some of you may ask what these human rights are.  I believe that human rights encompass the right to live freely, without fear of persecution for their political beliefs, religious beliefs, ethnicity, or any other distinguishing factor.  Any society that is not tolerant of differences is not a free society, pure and simple.  The right to be oneself is a basic, fundamental human right that every person possesses.  This includes the right to disseminate one’s political views, whether they are critical or supportive of an institution, no matter how popular or unpopular that institution or that view may be.

Another fundamental right is the right to hold one’s own religious beliefs.  To quote a great man, “All men are equally entitled to the free exercise of religion.”  Suppression of religion is just the first step to suppression of other personal beliefs, until all differences have been suppressed, and that simply cannot be tolerated.

The right to political representation, too, must remain a fundamental human right.  When the government ceases to represent the interests of its citizens, the government loses any claim to legitimacy, and this is a calumny that must not happen.  Free elections must be a part of every government; to do otherwise is an affront to all of humankind.

These are just a few of the most basic human rights.  I wish to make it clear that this is not in any way an extensive discussion or list of human rights; it is merely a short summary of rights that I consider particularly important, and will emphasize as Secretary of External Affairs.  So I wish you all a Happy Bastille Day, and urge you to remember the Spirit of ‘76 and ‘89!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 07:46:03 AM »

Transcript of SoEA Ben's speech to the French Parliament in Paris, France :: July 14, 2010

Mr. President, Madame First Lady, assembled dignitaries,

Eleven score and one year ago, a group of men proclaimed liberty, equality, and fraternity as basic rights of man.  In the two centuries since then, though, nation after nation has disregarded these rights.  I cannot emphasize enough the importance of human rights, and of every nation respecting them.  I am proud to call Atlasia a beacon of human rights – we always have, and it is my sincere hope that we will continue to be.

Now, some of you may ask what these human rights are.  I believe that human rights encompass the right to live freely, without fear of persecution for their political beliefs, religious beliefs, ethnicity, or any other distinguishing factor.  Any society that is not tolerant of differences is not a free society, pure and simple.  The right to be oneself is a basic, fundamental human right that every person possesses.  This includes the right to disseminate one’s political views, whether they are critical or supportive of an institution, no matter how popular or unpopular that institution or that view may be.

Another fundamental right is the right to hold one’s own religious beliefs.  To quote a great man, “All men are equally entitled to the free exercise of religion.”  Suppression of religion is just the first step to suppression of other personal beliefs, until all differences have been suppressed, and that simply cannot be tolerated.

The right to political representation, too, must remain a fundamental human right.  When the government ceases to represent the interests of its citizens, the government loses any claim to legitimacy, and this is a calumny that must not happen.  Free elections must be a part of every government; to do otherwise is an affront to all of humankind.

These are just a few of the most basic human rights.  I wish to make it clear that this is not in any way an extensive discussion or list of human rights; it is merely a short summary of rights that I consider particularly important, and will emphasize as Secretary of External Affairs.  So I wish you all a Happy Bastille Day, and urge you to remember the Spirit of ‘76 and ‘89!

<French Parliment goes wild, passes resolution of eternal friendship with Atlasia, then unconditionally surrenders> Tongue

Ducks items likely to be thrown by Antonio and Fab.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 09:02:41 AM »

<French Parliment goes wild, passes resolution of eternal friendship with Atlasia, then unconditionally surrenders> Tongue

One presumes given the recent vote in the Assemblée nationale, the speech would be taken as not so subtle criticism - and so presumably woud be rather poorly received.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 02:58:20 PM »

One presumes given the recent vote in the Assemblée nationale, the speech would be taken as not so subtle criticism - and so presumably woud be rather poorly received.

In which case they'll get very angry... and then surrender Tongue
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 08:07:36 PM »

Those were my thoughts as well.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 09:35:24 PM »

Just to clear something up: this should not be taken as a criticism of the French Government; I have spoken with President Sarkozy, and he recognizes that it was not an intentional criticism.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 06:15:41 AM »

Just to clear something up: this should not be taken as a criticism of the French Government; I have spoken with President Sarkozy, and he recognizes that it was not an intentional criticism.

Rather than admitting such naïveté in your first significant speech and then supplicating to the French (who's surrendering now?, etc.), I think the better spin here would've been to go with the 'friends speak truth to friends' type thing, this issue is of huge importance, Atlasia as a watchdog for human rights, etc. etc.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 06:59:55 AM »

I would hardly call it that.  This speech had been written for while ; it is merely a coincidence that the French have done this.  I made my criticism clear to President Sarkozy, and I hope that France repeals this abhorrent law - but the speech was written in honor of Bastille Day, not for any other purpose.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 11:03:54 AM »

and I hope that France repeals this abhorrent law

and I hope that Iraq becomes a stable democracy one day. Things don't work like that in the world.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 11:06:42 AM »

I would hardly call it that.  This speech had been written for while ; it is merely a coincidence that the French have done this.  I made my criticism clear to President Sarkozy, and I hope that France repeals this abhorrent law - but the speech was written in honor of Bastille Day, not for any other purpose.

So, your speech was unintentionally critical of the French - and you apologised to Sarkozy for that.
Then you proceeded to make much the same criticism to Sarkozy anyway?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 11:58:12 AM »

So, your speech was unintentionally critical of the French - and you apologised to Sarkozy for that.
Then you proceeded to make much the same criticism to Sarkozy anyway?

No, I did not apologize to Sarkozy - I told him the criticism was unintentional, but reiterated to him that I fully believed what I said.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 02:13:46 PM »

Why exactly are we interfering with the internal affairs of the French government? Surely there are much bigger human rights issues our government should be dealing with rather than making a silly example of that French law.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 03:57:34 PM »

In fairness, Secretary Ben's reference to religious liberty was only a small portion of his speech, and was consistent with the overall themes of the speech. Whatsmore those statements regarding religious liberty, while eloquent, were relatively "generic" rather than sounding like even subtle criticism of the recent Assembly vote on burqas.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 04:31:35 AM »

In fairness, Secretary Ben's reference to religious liberty was only a small portion of his speech, and was consistent with the overall themes of the speech. Whatsmore those statements regarding religious liberty, while eloquent, were relatively "generic" rather than sounding like even subtle criticism of the recent Assembly vote on burqas.

With respect, had say Hillary Clinton made a similar type speech with a similar emphases in the French parliament on Bastille Day - it would be a very significant news story.

In the context of international diplomacy, ben's speech had the subtlety of a sledgehammer.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 11:10:50 AM »

Why exactly are we interfering with the internal affairs of the French government? Surely there are much bigger human rights issues our government should be dealing with rather than making a silly example of that French law.

It would be quite hypocritical to urge less friendly nations to allow religious freedom while remaining silent on the French legislation.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 01:30:21 PM »

Religious freedom is a farce, quite frankly, but I'll stay out of this one Tongue
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 08:35:35 PM »

Communiqué

The Department of External Affairs strongly opposes the legislation introduced by Senator Bgwah, and vigorously urges the Senate to either reject the bill entirely or radically amend it.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 12:07:40 PM »

Communiqué

The Department of External Affairs agrees 100% with the ruling of the World Court in regards to Kosovo, and continues to offer its fullest support to the new nation and its government in Pristina.  Furthermore, the Department of External Affairs announces its fullest support for Kosovo's entry into the United Nations.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 10:14:40 AM »

Communiqué

The Department of External Affairs is beginning it's July 2010 Foreign Policy Review and July 2010 Foreign Aid Review.  If any Senators wish to suggest policies or funding, either post it here or PM me.  The Department's goal is to release everything by next Friday, July 30.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 11:34:53 AM »

I'm not too sure about your support of Kosovo.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies