2000 with a twist.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:37:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000 with a twist.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000 with a twist.  (Read 1486 times)
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »
« edited: July 09, 2010, 04:50:57 PM by Thomas D »

Hours after President Clinton is Impeached by the House on December 19, 1998 the President address the nation and says that he's resigning effective at Noon the next day.

Al Gore is sworn in and goes into the 2000 election as the incumbent.

Does anything change?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:15:12 PM »

Gore wins the election by winning Florida and New Hampshire. He might also win Ohio, Nevada, and Missouri, or some combination of these. If Gore was the incumbent during a good economy, he would have won.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »

Gore wins the election by winning Florida and New Hampshire. He might also win Ohio, Nevada, and Missouri, or some combination of these. If Gore was the incumbent during a good economy, he would have won.

http://

Al Gore would've been portrayed as a clone of the man who was impeached and reminders of the affair would've been hinted at in every ad. Failure of impeachment by the senate almost cost the GOP both houses and the white house in 2000.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 11:32:11 PM »

Gore/Edwards-338

McCain/Ridge-200

Gore goes unopposed in the primaries and chooses Edwards as his VP Choice. On the Republican side, Bush does not run and McCain is the nominee. McCain does better than Dole but gains ground thanks to character attacks. But at the end of the day, Gore wins due to a good economy and good domestic programs.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 11:47:57 PM »

Al Gore would've been portrayed as a clone of the man who was impeached and reminders of the affair would've been hinted at in every ad. Failure of impeachment by the senate almost cost the GOP both houses and the white house in 2000.

lol. Gore could show the GOP and the American people that he is a much more honest and clean politician than Bill Clinton. In addition to that, Gore would get elected in 2000 due to being an incumbent with a good economy.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 01:02:08 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2010, 12:45:04 AM by Bacon King »

Derek, you are a very nice person, I pity your ignorance...

Mod Note: everyone, please refrain from excessive personal attacks, especially involving foul language.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 01:32:31 AM »

lol. Gore could show the GOP and the American people that he is a much more honest and clean politician than Bill Clinton. In addition to that, Gore would get elected in 2000 due to being an incumbent with a good economy.

There is more to life than a good economy. Cleaner than Clinton but he doesn't mind running with him in 2 elections and helping him to embarrass us with what he did in the oval office? I think Gore would have been a lame duck and the 2000 primaries would have been something for him to consider.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 01:51:18 PM »

There is more to life than a good economy. Cleaner than Clinton but he doesn't mind running with him in 2 elections and helping him to embarrass us with what he did in the oval office? I think Gore would have been a lame duck and the 2000 primaries would have been something for him to consider.

Gore didn't know about the affair(s) when he was running with Clinton both times. Gore didn't do anything to embarrass himself in the Oval Office. I mean, he sure didn't sleep with Monica like Bill did. Conservatives are stupid if they are willing to attack Gore for Clinton's misdeeds, considering Gore had nothing to do with them. Heck, even during the impeachment, Clinton's approvals remained very high, which shows most people didn't care very much about the affair. The GOP did very badly in the 1998 midterms because they impeached a popular President. Believe me, in an election like 2000, most people would care about the economy and the direction of the country, and considering 65% of voters (I believe) thought the country was going in the right direction in spite of Bill Clinton's affair, then Gore surely would have pulled off a victory in 2000 as an incumbent President.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 06:09:11 PM »

Gore 311-227
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 06:13:43 PM »

I think OH would flip before TN because OH was closer. I know TN is Gore's home state and all, but he flip-flopped on abortion and gay rights after he became VP, which alienated many of his previous suporters (which is why he lost TN in RL in 2000).
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 06:19:42 PM »

I think OH would flip before TN because OH was closer. I know TN is Gore's home state and all, but he flip-flopped on abortion and gay rights after he became VP, which alienated many of his previous suporters (which is why he lost TN in RL in 2000).

I think TN would be reluctant to toss out a favorite son who was already in the white house. OH is just a guess.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »

I think TN would be reluctant to toss out a favorite son who was already in the white house. OH is just a guess.

Maybe you're right, but I think that many Tennesseans no longer considered Gore one of their own by 2000. Also, I still think that if TN flips, OH also flips because it was narrower.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies