Atheists are "disgraceful"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 03:13:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Atheists are "disgraceful"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atheists are "disgraceful"  (Read 5019 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2010, 09:20:32 PM »
« edited: July 05, 2010, 10:03:20 PM by fezzyfestoon »

In Florida and North Carolina there is a billboard campaign "raising awareness" that the pledge of allegiance isn't inclusive and should be restored to its original form.  In other words, take out "Under God".  The billboards simply have "One nation, indivisible" over a flag and the movement's website on them.  The vandalized one had the website removed and "Under God" spray painted on it.  Here is one reaction to it, seemingly expanding upon the views touched upon in most articles on the matter.  His basic point is that the billboards are part of a dangerous plot by atheists to marginalize Christians.  He calls atheists "disgraceful", "devastating", "far-removed", and in so many words, manipulative and conniving.

So the question is; Are all Christians this paranoid and delusional?  I personally don't have an inherent problem with Christians, but it seems all I hear from Christians is that they do have an inherent problem with atheists.  Why is religion one thing above most others where people refuse to acknowledge the legitimate presence of differing views?  The reaction reminds me of the race issue at the point where the "others" weren't even considered valid or significant.  To me the most important peoples' rights to respect are the smallest minorities.  It's bizarre to me to see such reminiscent discrimination.  In Florida, Charlie Crist personally ripped his own campaign sticker from the chest of a student for saying he didn't believe in God.

Personally it's shocking to see reactions like this being an atheist.  It's not something I even consider often at all so to hear that there's allegedly this massive movement to marginalize Christians by "my people" makes no sense to me.  When I somehow find out someone's atheist or they find out I am, we don't do like a secret handshake and compare Christian-destroying plots.  The only militantly atheist person I've ever encountered was on here.

Long story short; What are your views on atheism?  Do you find the billboards offensive?  Do you support removing "Under God" from the pledge?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 10:16:17 PM »

Both sides are being very very stupid. I would not be bothered by removal of "under God" from the pledge, nor do I care about it remaining in, since I'd rather have that nationalistic and idolatrous oath abolished anyway (by abolish I basically mean cease official recognition of it.)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »

How is this movement being stupid?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 10:22:16 PM »

They are spending so much time on resources on a silly and ultimately unimportant issue. Getting the pledge out of schools entirely though I would agree with, not just eliminating the "under God".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »

I support restoring the pledge of allegiance to the original more rhythmically correct version as written by a clergyman.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 10:30:19 PM »

Yes atheism and atheists are disgraceful. I have yet to get a straight answer on how something can come from nothing. Whatever the root of existence, first cause, first essence, first mover, any of that is, is God.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 01:30:37 AM »

Long story short; What are your views on atheism?  Do you find the billboards offensive?  Do you support removing "Under God" from the pledge?

1.  Apatheist
2.  No, and I don't really find the vandalism offensive either.  Childish, yes, but not offensive.
3.  Don't care either way.  I would agree that its presence is unnecessary, though.

All in all, this is just another reminder that every group fancies itself a martyr.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 01:43:32 AM »

I personally approve of Atheism, but if some folks want to take issue with Atheists, that's their business. No matter who you are or what you think, it is inevitable that somebody will hate you & want you to convert, leave, or die. Dealing with self-righteous opposition is a part of life.

I don't really care about the pledge. As far as I am concerned, it's just words that do not really affect anything. I sort of sympathize with BRTD's position, since you could view it as indoctrination of the youth. Then again, I doubt many (if any) children are seriously swayed in their views by merely reciting the pledge at school.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 01:57:24 AM »

His basic point is that the billboards are part of a dangerous plot by atheists to marginalize Christians.

Obligatory:

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 03:20:24 AM »

I can't believe you could have grown up in the United States, Fezzy, and could be surprised at the intolerance and hatred routinely exhibited by the majority christians.  Your naivety is extraordinary.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 11:05:44 AM »

Yes atheism and atheists are disgraceful. I have yet to get a straight answer on how something can come from nothing. Whatever the root of existence, first cause, first essence, first mover, any of that is, is God.

Thanks for calling me disgraceful.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 03:04:26 PM »

To be fair, you are a disgrace.  Just has nothing to do with your religion.  Wink
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 04:09:21 PM »

How is that disgraceful?  Because I don't claim to know exactly what happened billions of years ago I am a disgrace?  Interesting perspective.

Where did God come from if something can't come from nothing?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 04:11:46 PM »

Real Christians refuse to "pledge allegiance" to the government's flag.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 04:15:16 PM »

I'm very much a Christian and I've no issue with atheists or of other shades of the non-religious. The sort of behavior you mention is disgraceful and (to the way I was brought up and so the way I think) unchristian.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 04:26:24 PM »

Under God is stupid and needs to be removed asap.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 05:07:48 PM »

I'm very much a Christian and I've no issue with atheists or of other shades of the non-religious. The sort of behavior you mention is disgraceful and (to the way I was brought up and so the way I think) unchristian.

That's always good to hear.  It's a shame ignorance and hate is often shouted louder than tolerance and acceptance.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »

To be fair, you are a disgrace.  Just has nothing to do with your religion.  Wink

Of course, but that's why you love me.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 12:04:58 AM »

Very true.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 12:06:58 AM »

Yes atheists are disgraceful, just like every single one of you disgusting wastes of zygotes are.
Now mow off, before I pull out the ugly stuff.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 02:16:19 AM »

Who is a disgrace?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 06:51:04 AM »

Yes atheists are disgraceful, just like every single one of you disgusting wastes of zygotes are.

The fact I thought that you were both Libertas and that that comment was for real is a sad reflection.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 08:59:15 AM »

The fact I thought that you were both Libertas and that that comment was for real is a sad reflection.
Yeah, I would be kind of embarrassed if I got me and Libertas mixed up.  He has an unnatural fetish for fetuses, I think they are parasites.
Don't let it bother you too much though Winston, after all we both have light green New York avatars and similar looking flags.............
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 12:50:23 PM »

Yeah, I would be kind of embarrassed if I got me and Libertas mixed up.  He has an unnatural fetish for fetuses, I think they are parasites.
Don't let it bother you too much though Winston, after all we both have light green New York avatars and similar looking flags.............

Heh, I have mistaken you for Libertas several times over the last couple of days.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »

Heh, I have mistaken you for Libertas several times over the last couple of days.

Well, if I changed my name to "Lew Rockwell is a douchebag", would it make it any easier?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies