If you ran for President how would you rather lose?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:43:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  If you ran for President how would you rather lose?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: If you ran for President how would you rather lose?
Like Gore in 2000

Like Mondale in 1984

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: If you ran for President how would you rather lose?  (Read 3215 times)
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 08:25:44 PM »

Like Gore.

You see, for decades following, there would still a certain element in the country that honestly believes I was the actual winner of the election, but that I was cheated out of what should have been rightfully mine.

Well losing like Dewey would be the worst. Everyone says for months and months you're going to win and then BAM! Truman wins.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 08:30:43 PM »

Mondale'd.

Presidential candidates who get epically creamed usually get some sort of unique following (Goldwater, McGovern.)

That goes along with my thread from a couple months ago about the worst candidates in modern history. I would never consider those you mentioned to be the worst ever because of the followings they got. Goldwater Libertarianism merged with the southern Democrats which evolved into today's Republican party. McGovern's platform pretty much is the Democrats' platform today.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2010, 08:30:44 PM »

Mondale'd.

Presidential candidates who get epically creamed usually get some sort of unique following (Goldwater, McGovern.)

That goes along with my thread from a couple months ago about the worst candidates in modern history. I would never consider those you mentioned to be the worst ever because of the followings they got. Goldwater Libertarianism merged with the southern Democrats which evolved into today's Republican party. McGovern's platform pretty much is the Democrats' platform today.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2010, 10:28:52 PM »

Mondale'd.

They're more along the lines of small fan clubs than political movements of any power/influence... unfortunately.

The Republican Party of today does not even remotely resemble Goldwater.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 11:12:44 PM »

Mondale'd.

LOL, no it isn't.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 12:09:14 AM »

Mondale'd.

They're more along the lines of small fan clubs than political movements of any power/influence... unfortunately.

On economics they do. I was generalizing when I made that statement but Goldwater's campaign really gave birth to Reagan and what he would advance later on in the 20th century after merging with southern democrats and the Thurmond/Helms wing of the party that switched to Republican.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 03:55:25 PM »

Mondale'd.

On economics they do. I was generalizing when I made that statement but Goldwater's campaign really gave birth to Reagan and what he would advance later on in the 20th century after merging with southern democrats and the Thurmond/Helms wing of the party that switched to Republican.

Goldwater's foreign policy certainly did give birth to the "Reagan Revolution".
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 09:23:26 PM »

Mondale'd.

Goldwater's foreign policy certainly did give birth to the "Reagan Revolution".

Yes partly and Goldwater's belief in limited government on the economy turned alot of people away from the New England model of the Republican party. He stayed out of social issues though. Also, my argument is more that Goldwater+southern democrat= today's GOP. They're socially conservative and want limited government on economics. They're also strong on defense.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, 08:47:38 PM »

I would rather lose like McCain ^^

Nothing I could have done would have made me win, but I still do a respectable showing.

Of the two opptions offered above, both a more horrible than the other.

lol, this is how I would like to lose too. Tongue
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 11:11:02 PM »

Like Gore.

You see, for decades following, there would still a certain element in the country that honestly believes I was the actual winner of the election, but that I was cheated out of what should have been rightfully mine.

Well losing like Dewey would be the worst. Everyone says for months and months you're going to win and then BAM! Truman wins.

Well, Carter and Bush Jr. (in 2000) almost lost like Dewey did. They had decent leads for most of the campaign, and almost managed to blow the election in the end.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 08:18:28 PM »

Like Gore, because unlike Gore, I would've gone again the next time.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies