Is being against the drug war but in favor of gun control hypocritical?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:30:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is being against the drug war but in favor of gun control hypocritical?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Is being against the drug war but in favor of gun control hypocritical?  (Read 4674 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »

"Criminalization of drugs only makes the problem more difficult to control." vs. "Making guns illegal reduces gun crime."

Discuss.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 06:00:03 PM »

No. How could it be?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »

Because if government is not effective in controlling drugs, why would they be effective at controlling firearms?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »

Because if government is not effective in controlling drugs, why would they be effective at controlling firearms?

Because drugs are not firearms, perhaps?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »

No. We're discussing apples and oranges here.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 06:15:31 PM »

How would enforcement be any different?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 06:18:14 PM »

I don't think you can compare the two very well, as they are two separate issues in principle. The only way to equate them would be to argue that drugs themselves are the problem, as opposed to drug related crime. I guess there are people that would agree with that sentiment, but there were people that supported prohibition as well, after all.

Guns, at least handguns and the like, serve no other real purpose than killing human beings....whereas drugs aren't made for the purpose of killing others. Sure drugs can kill...but so can a lot of things.

People that say "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" aren't wrong per se, but the argument is terribly oversimplified. Access to a gun makes it a lot easier to kill someone, and I do believe that people are more likely to kill someone if they can do it by just pulling a trigger.

So what I mean to say is that the motives behind opposition to guns and opposition to drugs, at least "smart opposition", are based on entirely seperate backgrounds. Therefore I would say that opposition to one but not the other is not inherently hypocritical.

(Please note: I am generally supportive of gun rights.)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 06:23:22 PM »

I don't think you can compare the two very well, as they are two separate issues in principle. The only way to equate them would be to argue that drugs themselves are the problem, as opposed to drug related crime. I guess there are people that would agree with that sentiment, but there were people that supported prohibition as well, after all.

Guns, at least handguns and the like, serve no other real purpose than killing human beings....whereas drugs aren't made for the purpose of killing others. Sure drugs can kill...but so can a lot of things.

People that say "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" aren't wrong per se, but the argument is terribly oversimplified. Access to a gun makes it a lot easier to kill someone, and I do believe that people are more likely to kill someone if they can do it by just pulling a trigger.

So what I mean to say is that the motives behind opposition to guns and opposition to drugs, at least "smart opposition", are based on entirely seperate backgrounds. Therefore I would say that opposition to one but not the other is not inherently hypocritical.

However, it is hypocritical to say that the drug war isn't working but then to advocate for gun control as if it would work any better (because enforcement-wise they aren't so different). I know the motives behind it are different.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 06:23:58 PM »

You can't see how guns differ from drugs? Really?
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 06:24:27 PM »

No. Just because the Government can control X successfully doesn't mean they can control Y successfully.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 06:25:49 PM »

No. You are assuming that the argument of one has the same reasoning behind it as the argument for another (which it often does in America, but not always).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 06:26:25 PM »

However, it is hypocritical to say that the drug war isn't working but then to advocate for gun control as if it would work any better (because enforcement-wise they aren't so different). I know the motives behind it are different.

Using that argument, couldn't you also claim the government shouldn't ban anything because they aren't effective at stopping drug usage?

Again, I don't think banning guns would be a good idea, and thinking it would solve our gun problems is dumb....but I don't see the hypocrisy here.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 10:52:27 PM »

No. Just because the Government can control X successfully doesn't mean they can control Y successfully.

+1
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 10:59:42 PM »

It is far easier to control guns than it is to control drugs.  Coca, opium, cannabis,and tobacco require little capital investment to make besides some seeds and a backyard to grow them in.  The manufacture of firearms and ammo for them is a bit more problematic.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 12:20:55 AM »

"Criminalization of drugs only makes the problem more difficult to control." vs. "Making guns illegal reduces gun crime."

Discuss.

No I wouldn't say hypocritical but you can't really go against the 2nd amendment. I think drug laws are just an excuse to lock more people up and make more money for the state.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 05:55:00 AM »

Discuss.

No I wouldn't say hypocritical but you can't really go against the 2nd amendment. I think drug laws are just an excuse to lock more people up and make more money for the state.

The state MAKES money?? I've never noticed that...
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 07:23:16 AM »

It could be but it depends on the arguments that the person is putting forth.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 10:40:36 AM »

Using that argument, couldn't you also claim the government shouldn't ban anything because they aren't effective at stopping drug usage?

True, but as Eraserhead said, certain arguments can make one be hypocritical.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 10:41:49 AM »

Oh wise and all-knowing Xahar, please explain to this lesser being why government would be better at enforcing a gun ban than a drug ban?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 03:08:38 PM »

Oh wise and all-knowing Xahar, please explain to this lesser being why government would be better at enforcing a gun ban than a drug ban?

I'm not Xahar, but:
It is far easier to control guns than it is to control drugs.  Coca, opium, cannabis,and tobacco require little capital investment to make besides some seeds and a backyard to grow them in.  The manufacture of firearms and ammo for them is a bit more problematic.

Indeed, the few successes in the War on Drugs have come against drugs that require more effort to make than the mainstays of the drug culture.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 06:08:35 PM »

Ernest gave an answer.

But basically what you're saying is that it's hypocritical to support control of something while opposing a ban on anything else. Cool story, bro.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »

No (D). Drugs and guns are two totally different things.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »

I think we can argue that cause A (criminalization of drugs) can lead to effect B (uptake in gun violence).
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 11:10:10 PM »

The State doesn't have the right to ban or regulate drugs or guns. Of course it's hypocritical to create an exception for one or the other.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 01:32:55 AM »

The State doesn't have the right to ban or regulate drugs or guns.

Since when?

But then again, this discussion, like many others, doesn't come down to rights.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies