How Would Kerry Have Handled the Iraq War?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:32:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  How Would Kerry Have Handled the Iraq War?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Would Kerry Have Handled the Iraq War?  (Read 3027 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2010, 02:28:52 AM »

And what would the situation there have looked like right now if he won in 2004?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 06:45:38 AM »

Well let's see. In 2002 he said it would be foolish to ignore the threat. In 2004 he said he voted for the $87 billion before he voted against it. Then in the weeks leading up to the election, he said that he wouldn't have invaded. I'm not sure Kerry even knows how he would've handled Iraq.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 05:45:06 PM »

Well let's see. In 2002 he said it would be foolish to ignore the threat. In 2004 he said he voted for the $87 billion before he voted against it. Then in the weeks leading up to the election, he said that he wouldn't have invaded. I'm not sure Kerry even knows how he would've handled Iraq.

That's why I'm asking you.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 12:18:07 AM »

Well combining all of Kerry's statements, he would have gone to the UN, then not gone to war. Then he would send our troops in anyhow and ask for support. The UN would say no and so he'd bring us back home. After seeing that Saddam still wasn't cooperating with sanctions, he'd send our troops back in and after Baghdad fell, he'd pull us out until after his reelection. His next move would be to send our troops back to Iraq. Sounds like alot of his other positions.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 05:08:59 AM »

I think it would be similar to Obama's approach: a steady withdrawal from Iraq and alot more focus on Afghanistan.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 11:51:53 PM »

Well combining all of Kerry's statements, he would have gone to the UN, then not gone to war. Then he would send our troops in anyhow and ask for support. The UN would say no and so he'd bring us back home. After seeing that Saddam still wasn't cooperating with sanctions, he'd send our troops back in and after Baghdad fell, he'd pull us out until after his reelection. His next move would be to send our troops back to Iraq. Sounds like alot of his other positions.

I meant after 2004, since Kerry would have only been inaugurated in January 2005. That was after the invasion.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 07:30:53 PM »

I meant after 2004, since Kerry would have only been inaugurated in January 2005. That was after the invasion.

I know that's what I was referring to. He would've gone back and forth and kept changing his mind. One month we'd be there and another month we'd be back.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 01:30:42 AM »

I know that's what I was referring to. He would've gone back and forth and kept changing his mind. One month we'd be there and another month we'd be back.

This is why I don't take you as a serious poster.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:06:59 PM »

This is why I don't take you as a serious poster.

What's not serious about it? I'm going right off of Kerry's exact statements about Iraq and how inconsistent they were.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 07:50:48 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2010, 08:08:29 PM by phknrocket1k »

He likely wouldn't be able to get foreign troops from European countries. Or as many as originally thought.

He'd have a steady withdrawal from Iraq until 2006 when Muslim fratricide and the risk of a civil war hit high levels.

If steady withdrawal delays death of Zarqawi than the conflict would be having a huge negative downward pressure on his approvals, especially if Zarqawi gets promoted within Al Qaeda's ranks.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 03:01:53 PM »

He likely wouldn't be able to get foreign troops from European countries. Or as many as originally thought.

He'd have a steady withdrawal from Iraq until 2006 when Muslim fratricide and the risk of a civil war hit high levels.

If steady withdrawal delays death of Zarqawi than the conflict would be having a huge negative downward pressure on his approvals, especially if Zarqawi gets promoted within Al Qaeda's ranks.

Would the Republican Congress have allowed Kerry to start withdrawing troops, though?
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 05:31:39 PM »

Would the Republican Congress have allowed Kerry to start withdrawing troops, though?

Congress has no authority on that matter.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »

Kerry was either lying by saying he could get foreign troops to help because no one likes the US enough to lend a hand. He was either lying or full of himself. He would've changed his position as president too going back and forth. He'd blame Bush if there was a problem and take credit if things went well.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 07:24:48 PM »

Kerry was either lying by saying he could get foreign troops to help because no one likes the US enough to lend a hand. He was either lying or full of himself. He would've changed his position as president too going back and forth. He'd blame Bush if there was a problem and take credit if things went well.

All politicians take credit if things go well or blame others if things go badly.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 10:21:24 PM »

All politicians take credit if things go well or blame others if things go badly.

He would have pulled us out, sent us back, pulled us out, and sent us back again because he is a notorious flip flopper.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 10:30:18 PM »

Therefore he would start the surge of 07-08 and lose reelection to McCain, most likely, who would keep us in for the remainder of his term.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies