Prominent Minority Candidates for the GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:54:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Prominent Minority Candidates for the GOP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Prominent Minority Candidates for the GOP  (Read 2368 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2010, 04:55:15 PM »

Do you see any of these candidates as potentially being the GOP presidential or VP nominees within the next 20-25 years?

Bobby Jindal
Nikki Haley
Susanna Martinez
Brian Sandoval
Tim Scott
Marco Rubio
Jaime Herrera

Also, if you think of any other prominent GOP minority politicians that I forgot about, please list those as well.

P.S.: Sandoval is pro-abortion but he could always flip-flop on the issue just like Reagan and Romney did.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 05:00:19 PM »

George P. Bush, perhaps.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 05:45:21 PM »

Sandoval I thought was pro-life.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 05:45:49 PM »

Do you see any of these candidates as potentially being the GOP presidential or VP nominees within the next 20-25 years?

Bobby Jindal
Nikki Haley
Susanna Martinez
Brian Sandoval
Tim Scott
Marco Rubio
Jaime Herrera

Also, if you think of any other prominent GOP minority politicians that I forgot about, please list those as well.

P.S.: Sandoval is pro-abortion but he could always flip-flop on the issue just like Reagan and Romney did.

None of those candidates are worth a damn. The GOP will have to do more than put up token candidates if it wants to win over minority voters.

Sandoval's website says he is "pro-choice". I didn't know Nevada was that extreme that even the Republicans need to be pro-abortion.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 05:59:43 PM »

Bobby Jindal
Nikki Haley
Susanna Martinez
Brian Sandoval
Tim Scott
Marco Rubio
Jaime Herrera

None of those candidates are worth a damn. The GOP will have to do more than put up token candidates if it wants to win over minority voters.

Sandoval's website says he is "pro-choice". I didn't know Nevada was that extreme that even the Republicans need to be pro-abortion.

Hmmm that's interesting because I thought he ran as a pro-life candidate in the Republican primary. The full quote is from his website "I am pro-choice; I oppose partial-birth abortion, late term abortion and federal funding for abortion. I support parental notification prior to a minor receiving an abortion and am against transporting minors across state lines for abortions." That seems more like a Moore-Capito position on the issue rather than a full-on pro-choice view. He could always clarify it into a pro-life position, because I think he should expect to be approached for the vp slot in 2012 or 2016, or for a possible run for president in the near future.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 07:57:18 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2010, 07:59:51 PM by Kevin »

Bobby Jindal
Nikki Haley
Susanna Martinez
Brian Sandoval
Tim Scott
Marco Rubio
Jaime Herrera

In Texas there is Michael Williams and the head of the State Supreme Court, both of the could be viable candidates  for Senate or Governor someday.

Also Governor Mitch Daniel's of Indiana is of Middle Eastern descent if that counts?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 10:12:08 PM »

Bobby Jindal
Nikki Haley
Susanna Martinez
Brian Sandoval
Tim Scott
Marco Rubio
Jaime Herrera

Jindal will run in a couple primaries. 20-25 years is a hard thing to predict.
DS0816
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 10:21:59 PM »

Brian Sandoval

Would the GOP and the primary voters back a pro-choice presidential candidate?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 10:54:02 PM »

don't forget Conaleeza Rice.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 11:01:24 PM »

Maybe, but the last name is probably going to make him toxic for about 20-30 years.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 11:06:48 PM »

She's too closely associated with Bush Jr. to run or succeed.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 11:07:40 PM »

Brian Sandoval

Would the GOP and the primary voters back a pro-choice presidential candidate?

Probably not, but they could back a pro-life Presidential candidate who previously supported abortion (Reagan, Bush Sr.).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 12:18:44 AM »

Maybe, but the last name is probably going to make him toxic for about 20-30 years.

You think people are going to care about GW Bush in 20-30 years?  No one cared about Jimmy Carter anymore in the 90s, let alone the 00s, and a politician would not have suffered just for being his nephew in that timeframe.  Same will be true of GW Bush.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 12:57:15 AM »

That's true. ^ People forgive and forget very easily.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 02:04:03 AM »

You think people are going to care about GW Bush in 20-30 years?  No one cared about Jimmy Carter anymore in the 90s, let alone the 00s, and a politician would not have suffered just for being his nephew in that timeframe.  Same will be true of GW Bush.

People aren't going to care about Bush in 20-30 years. They're just going to care for Bush until another two or three decades pass.  People right now still fondly remember Reagan, and since many of Obama's hardcore supporters are young people, there will still be a negative opinion of Bush among a large segment of the U.S. electorate for a while.
milhouse24
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 02:18:27 AM »

Anyone could be VP, but the only VP worth a darn are the ones who are close to swing states and can help turn a swing state and win the general election.  This is why Daniels is better than Romney. Heck, even Santorum might influence Ohio voters.  Crist is useful in Florida.  We have had very close elections and it will always be a close fight. 

I think McCain lost because he was very weak in Ohio and FLorida.  Palin was more harmful than helpful, or atleast not helpful enough in Ohio.  Plus McCain's age turned off a lot of independents.  I really think Obama won by default under most circumstances.  He ran a good campaign despite his thin resume, but he embraced his thin resume by calling for "wholesale change" and "change for the sake of change" proved enough for voters.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 02:22:07 AM »

Anyone could be VP, but the only VP worth a darn are the ones who are close to swing states and can help turn a swing state and win the general election.  This is why Daniels is better than Romney. Heck, even Santorum might influence Ohio voters.  Crist is useful in Florida.  We have had very close elections and it will always be a close fight. 

I think McCain lost because he was very weak in Ohio and FLorida.  Palin was more harmful than helpful, or atleast not helpful enough in Ohio.  Plus McCain's age turned off a lot of independents.  I really think Obama won by default under most circumstances.  He ran a good campaign despite his thin resume, but he embraced his thin resume by calling for "wholesale change" and "change for the sake of change" proved enough for voters.

Santorum is from PA, but I think I know what you mean. Actually, being from a state doesn't help for a VP anymore. McCain wasn't very weak in FL but again the housing collapse cost him there. He was up by 15 in July of 2008. Change for the sake of change was ok with Bush in office for independent voters. Next time will be different unless Obama wants us to change again. Daniels is not from a swing state. He is from a state that is likely Republican and fell for Obama's fallen promises. Remember all the money he promised that state? Where is it? Don't count on Indy or NC as swing states or read too much into the 2008 election.
milhouse24
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 12:18:25 PM »

Santorum is from PA, but I think I know what you mean. Actually, being from a state doesn't help for a VP anymore. McCain wasn't very weak in FL but again the housing collapse cost him there. He was up by 15 in July of 2008. Change for the sake of change was ok with Bush in office for independent voters. Next time will be different unless Obama wants us to change again. Daniels is not from a swing state. He is from a state that is likely Republican and fell for Obama's fallen promises. Remember all the money he promised that state? Where is it? Don't count on Indy or NC as swing states or read too much into the 2008 election.

As I said, being next to a swing state is almost as important.  PA is next to OHio.  Indiana is next to Ohio.  That is why Daniels and Santorum are important.  This is about the Ground Game of Campaigning - you have TV ads from your home state that cross into neighboring states, you have regional influence, and you have years of built up volunteers ready to drive across the border to canvas neighborhoods. 
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 08:50:01 PM »

As I said, being next to a swing state is almost as important.  PA is next to OHio.  Indiana is next to Ohio.  That is why Daniels and Santorum are important.  This is about the Ground Game of Campaigning - you have TV ads from your home state that cross into neighboring states, you have regional influence, and you have years of built up volunteers ready to drive across the border to canvas neighborhoods. 

That is true. I'm not sure Santorum would win despite that though.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 10:26:50 PM »

I think that right now, Jindal, Haley, and Rubio have the most potential. Anyone of them would be effective on either side of the ticket. The only con is that they're from the South.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 05:20:47 PM »

I think that right now, Jindal, Haley, and Rubio have the most potential. Anyone of them would be effective on either side of the ticket. The only con is that they're from the South.

How is being a Southerner a negative? Four out of our last six Presidents (Carter, Clinton, both Bushes) were from the South.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 05:45:16 PM »

How is being a Southerner a negative? Four out of our last six Presidents (Carter, Clinton, both Bushes) were from the South.

The GOP is too Southern. They need a Midwestern or Northern nominee in future elections.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 05:47:35 PM »

The GOP is too Southern. They need a Midwestern or Northern nominee in future elections.

The Clinton/Gore ticket was all Southern. I don't think it hurt them too much in other parts of the country. Bush/Cheney could also technically be considered all Southern, as Cheney lived in TX before he became VP. Even if the GOP is too Southern, they could still have one person on their ticket from the South and one from another part of the country. There. Problem solved.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 07:11:53 PM »

What minority is Haley?
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 07:54:12 PM »

What minority is Haley?

Indian-American. Her birth name is Nimrata Nikki Randhawa
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies