petraeus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:47:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  petraeus
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: petraeus  (Read 967 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2010, 07:59:21 AM »

Probably won't be able to run for President now that he's off managing a new war.  The possible quagmire nature of the war could potentially tarnish him as well, although, of course, I hope he solves the war in 5 minutes and gets the troops home before Thanksgiving.  

I believe Petraeus has publicly backed Obama's planned date for beginning of the Afghanistan withdrawal of July, 2011.

Not much time left for campaigning
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 09:05:16 AM »

Probably won't be able to run for President now that he's off managing a new war.  The possible quagmire nature of the war could potentially tarnish him as well, although, of course, I hope he solves the war in 5 minutes and gets the troops home before Thanksgiving.  

I believe Petraeus has publicly backed Obama's planned date for beginning of the Afghanistan withdrawal of July, 2011.

Not much time left for campaigning

I agree for the most part, but I do think he might be able to launch a 2016 Presidential campaign...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 09:24:05 AM »

2016 is forever far away.

He could still be a VP candidate for '12.

And, it should be said, that if he weren't interested in politics, people wouldn't keep mentioning him as a contender -- it's not hard to say "I will never run for President, I don't think I'm qualified for that position, I don't think I'd be effective at the legislative and economic aspects of that position" or something to squash all rumors, something which the General has not done.  People lie all the time, but if one ACTUALLY wanted to crush such notions of a candidacy, it's not hard to say something which is not only a denial, but which would be used against you if you broke that denial.  Even a one-sentence press release declaring "I will not run for President in 2012." would go a long way here.

And, it should be said that Petraeus taking this job on speaks highly of him.  He's already regarded as the wonderboy of Iraq strategy, he could have declined Afghanistan and retired, but because he's a soldier and Obama is Commander in Chief, and Obama asked him to take a demotion so as to take on a crucial war effort, he did it without public hesitation.  He knows that this job could ruin his reputation, but he did it anyway, because he's a soldier.  

Respek where it is due.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 09:33:14 AM »

People lie all the time, but if one ACTUALLY wanted to crush such notions of a candidacy, it's not hard to say something which is not only a denial, but which would be used against you if you broke that denial.  Even a one-sentence press release declaring "I will not run for President in 2012." would go a long way here.

“I will not ever run for political office, I can assure you of that.”

What about that?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 10:13:25 AM »

Yeah everyone says that, that's not a real denial.  REAL denials include some sort of proof.  Like, when Palin sought to prove she wasn't running for Senate, she gave $2,300 to Murkowski, even though she later endorsed her opponent.  Vague statements that you won't run for higher office are about as useful as something that's not very useful

If Petraeus wanted to prove to his political backers that he wasn't going to run for president, he would have said something like the above -- that not only is it not in his interest, he doesn't feel like he's the best man for the job.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 03:34:20 PM »

Yeah everyone says that, that's not a real denial.

Not everyone says that.  A real non-denial is "I have no interest in running for president."  Which means "I am not *currently* running for president."  "I will not ever run for office" is more concrete.

You said "Even a one-sentence press release declaring "I will not run for President in 2012." would go a long way here."

How is "I will not ever run for political office" more vague than "I will not run for President in 2012"?  Seems like hair-splitting to me.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 03:48:20 PM »

Obama made a political move so that he doesn't have to run against someone involved in the situation.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »

You said "Even a one-sentence press release declaring "I will not run for President in 2012." would go a long way here."

How is "I will not ever run for political office" more vague than "I will not run for President in 2012"?  Seems like hair-splitting to me.

I say a lot of stupid things from time to time
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 01:48:32 AM »

And you know what? I bet it was a set up by Rolling Stone and the Obama Administration.
milhouse24
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 07:55:22 PM »

And you know what? I bet it was a set up by Rolling Stone and the Obama Administration.

Rolling Stone is ultra-liberal and anti-anti-GOP!  Its almost tabloidy how anti-GOP their article headlines are.  Perhaps they are trying to stay in business but its an obvious turnoff for someone who questions their motives and articles.  Granted, most of their political articles seem well-researched, but RS does have a strong agenda.  They are very biased. 

Obama did sort of luck out by getting Petraeus back into the field.  He probably would have retired after the mid-terms, and I didn't realize he was still active, primarily because he left Iraq and there was buzz about him for 2012.  He is a strong VP candidate, but VP's need to be vocal attack dogs, and Petreaus won't be able to slam Obama in 2012. 
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »

I had bets on him retiring in 2013 and running in 2016.

It's happened with popular generals so far (Lincoln - Grant, FDR - Eisenhower)

I wouldn't count the generals running before 1860 in the trend though.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 10:13:14 PM »

He might still retire after the midterms.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 12:21:30 AM »

He more or less made a commitment to stay around to next July at the earliest simply by taking Afghanistan.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 12:53:28 AM »

He more or less made a commitment to stay around to next July at the earliest simply by taking Afghanistan.

Yes unless someone tries to get him in trouble like they did to McChrystal. Isn't it frustrating when someone is always out to get others in trouble? It's like they have nothing better to do. I don't see that happening to Petreaus though. He gives me the impression that he is there for the long run. No one is going to get rid of him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies