1968: Ted Kennedy v. Nelson Rockefeller v. George Wallace
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:05:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: Ted Kennedy v. Nelson Rockefeller v. George Wallace
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 1968: Ted Kennedy v. Nelson Rockefeller v. George Wallace  (Read 7054 times)
hawkeye59
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 09:20:41 PM »

http://

I can't imagine 3 worse candidates running in the same year. My vote is for Wallace because I wouldn't be able to stand those types of Republicans. Ted Kennedy was not electable in any election year ever. I hesitated to give him Hawaii and West Virginia, but I think he'd break through.
You realize this was before Chappaquiddick, right?
GeorgiaSenator
Rookie
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 04:04:45 PM »

You realize Wallace wanted to double the Great Society, right?

Please advise on your source for the above.
GeorgiaSenator
Rookie
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 04:05:59 PM »

What if Robert Kennedy's delegates refuse to give up after his death, and start a draft Teddy movement at the Democratic Convention? After several ballots, McCarthy drops out and endorses Kennedy. As part of the deal, McCarthy gets to choose the VP, and he selects Senator George McGovern of South Dakota.

At the Republican Convention, Nelson Rockefeller is able to upset Richard Nixon and wins the nomination. Rocky selects Hawaii Senator Hiram Fong as his running mate.

George Wallace still runs with Curtis LeMay.

How would this elections play out? Kennedy/McGovern v. Rockefeller/Fong v. Wallace/Lemay

Brain overload!!!!!
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 10:04:59 PM »

Admittedly a quite dated post, but.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 10:16:07 PM »

To be fair, so did the platforms of both Humphrey and Nixon.  But it's nevertheless true that Wallace wasn't anything remotely resembling a conservative in the "modern" sense.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 10:18:04 PM »

To be fair, so did the platforms of both Humphrey and Nixon.  But it's nevertheless true that Wallace wasn't anything remotely resembling a conservative in the "modern" sense.

Too true.

I remembered discussing with Libertas how I wish I had been around back then, to have experienced the politics back then - the collapse of the New Deal coalition, etc, to which he responded "We may have been New Dealers ourselves."
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2010, 10:27:25 PM »

Too true.

I remembered discussing with Libertas how I wish I had been around back then, to have experienced the politics back then - the collapse of the New Deal coalition, etc, to which he responded "We may have been New Dealers ourselves."

I'd hate to have been around for the 1968 election - talk about the worst selection of candidates around.  Really, 1964-68-72 would have been an awful triple whammy to someone of our views.  But I do agree that it's intriguing to think about how my own political beliefs would have evolved had different events happened or had I been alive at different times.  I think I've worked out that a Dole '96 victory would make me an uberliberal, Gore 2000 the same as I am now, but probably a partisan Republican, and Kerry 2004 either a moderate liberal or the same as I am now, depending on his Iraq policy.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 10:33:22 PM »

Too true.

I'd hate to have been around for the 1968 election - talk about the worst selection of candidates around.  Really, 1964-68-72 would have been an awful triple whammy to someone of our views.  But I do agree that it's intriguing to think about how my own political beliefs would have evolved had different events happened or had I been alive at different times.  I think I've worked out that a Dole '96 victory would make me an uberliberal, Gore 2000 the same as I am now, but probably a partisan Republican, and Kerry 2004 either a moderate liberal or the same as I am now, depending on his Iraq policy.

You don't like Barry Goldwater? And you don't like Bob Dole either?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010, 10:35:20 PM »

Too true.

I think he meant 68-72-76.

Anywhom, good point Wormy - as my father once told me, "The times make the men - the men do not make the times."
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2010, 10:36:57 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2010, 10:38:30 PM by wormyguy »

To be fair, so did the platforms of both Humphrey and Nixon.  But it's nevertheless true that Wallace wasn't anything remotely resembling a conservative in the "modern" sense.

Too true.

I'd hate to have been around for the 1968 election - talk about the worst selection of candidates around.  Really, 1964-68-72 would have been an awful triple whammy to someone of our views.  But I do agree that it's intriguing to think about how my own political beliefs would have evolved had different events happened or had I been alive at different times.  I think I've worked out that a Dole '96 victory would make me an uberliberal, Gore 2000 the same as I am now, but probably a partisan Republican, and Kerry 2004 either a moderate liberal or the same as I am now, depending on his Iraq policy.

I don't like Barry Goldwater (or McGovern) losing.  And since I've decided I'd be naturally inclined to oppose the president, and Dole is a very reasonable Republican to someone of my views, I think I'd become nearly my polar opposite.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 04:23:46 PM »

The whole "We may have been new dealers ourselves" is somewhat scary just hearing it, thinking how the political climate affects your views and all.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies