George Clooney runs in 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 05:01:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  George Clooney runs in 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: George Clooney runs in 2008  (Read 1673 times)
Farage
Elvis Republican
Cape Verde

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »

could he win the Dem Primary?

Could he beat John McCain?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 04:07:53 PM »

No he would get about 5 states.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 10:12:45 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2010, 10:17:55 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

The Dems would had to have taken complete leave of their senses to nominate Clooney, however, if they became temporarily insane and did give him the nomination, this is how the election would turn out-

McCain          491
Clooney           47

Being generous to Clooney.

Some may like his B grade movies and mediocre acting, however, the nation would not, under any circumstances, entrust the leadership of America and the free world to some celluloid prima donna.

TopherAwesome
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:21:17 PM »

The Dems would had to have taken complete leave of their senses to nominate Clooney, however, if they became temporarily insane and did give him the nomination, this is how the election would turn out-

McCain          491
Clooney           47

Some may like his B grade movies and mediocre acting, however, the nation would not, under any circumstances, entrust the leadership of America and the free world to some celluloid prima donna.

Same could have been said about Reagan, but he did quite well in both of his elections.
NCPitt436

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:22:18 PM »

I say Huckabee... I have a personal liking for that guy. I don't like his policies, but I like him.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 10:31:41 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2010, 10:33:17 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

In response to TopherAwesome

Reagan had served two successful terms as Governor of California and had become a major conservative spokesman, going back to the late fifties and early sixties.

He gave sitting President Ford a very strong challenge for the GOP nomination in 1976 before convincingly winning the nomination in 1980.

Long before seeking the Presidency, Reagan had established himself as one of the best communicators in the country.

Clooney would have none of these credentials, or anyting approaching them, should he ever run.  
TopherAwesome
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »

In response to TopherAwesome

Reagan had served two successful terms as Governor of California and had become a major conservative spokesman, going back to the late fifties and early sixties.

He gave sitting President Ford a very strong challenge for the GOP nomination in 1976 before convincingly winning the nomination in 1980.

Long before seeking the Presidency, Reagan had established himself as one of the best communicators in the country.

Clooney would have none of these credentials, or anyting approaching them, should he ever run.  

Well in this alternate universe where Clooney is the Democratic nominee, it's assumed that he has held some political office. No one will go from being an actor straight to winning a major parties Nomination for President.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 10:42:05 PM »

Topher, in the questions posed by the author of this thread, there is nothing to indicate that Clooney had any previous political experience or credentials.

Huckabee-Pence simply asked if Clooney could win the Dem nomination and if he could beat McCain.

Anything beyond this is simply conjecture or assumptions.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
TopherAwesome
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 10:44:55 PM »

Topher, in the questions posed by the author of this thread, there is nothing to indicate that Clooney had any previous political experience or credentials.

Huckabee-Pence simply asked if Clooney could win the Dem nomination and if he could beat McCain.

Anything beyond this is simply conjecture or assumptions.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Fair enough.

And thank you. Smiley
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 10:49:46 PM »

NCPitt436, welcome to the forum to you as well.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 11:20:23 PM »

McCain          491
Clooney           47

Same could have been said about Reagan, but he did quite well in both of his elections.

No the same can't be said about Reagan. I know for someone who loves Hollywood or doesn't like Reagan that's an easy comment to make. The truth is Reagan was actually governor of a state and was conservative. Clooney would look like a left wing loon with no experience.
TopherAwesome
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 11:29:25 PM »

McCain          491
Clooney           47

No the same can't be said about Reagan. I know for someone who loves Hollywood or doesn't like Reagan that's an easy comment to make. The truth is Reagan was actually governor of a state and was conservative. Clooney would look like a left wing loon with no experience.

This is settled. My point was if Clooney had political experience, then that would make him much more electable. Of course he gets crushed when he goes straight from actor to candidate. Do you think Reagan would have won if he just went from actor to candidate? Of course not.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 12:26:01 AM »

No he would have lost too.
DS0816
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 06:43:46 AM »

Any candidate with a "[D]" following his/her name would've won Election 2008 over a candidate with an "[R]" following his/her name.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 07:21:37 PM »

Any candidate with a "[D]" following his/her name would've won Election 2008 over a candidate with an "[R]" following his/her name.

Not so.  The country would never elect some pretentious thespian over a proven political leader like McCain in 2008 to lead the nation.  Quit dreaming.
DS0816
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 07:40:55 PM »

Not so.  The country would never elect some pretentious thespian over a proven political leader like McCain in 2008 to lead the nation.  Quit dreaming.

No dreaming.

And what a pity it is that you forgot how McCain had been such a star-f***er a few years ago.

A gift for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EBR84wPMrg
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 12:16:36 PM »

DS0816, thank you for the video.

I am in total agreement with the message being conveyed in the interview.

What you fail to take into consideration is who the Democrats nominate.  The key words in this interview are acceptable alternative.

Clearly, the Democrats were going into the 1988 election as the odds on favorites to win the Presidency, after eight years of Republican administration.  Vice President George HW Bush, however, was successful in painting Dukakis as someone unfit for the Presidency.

If the Republicans had such phenomenal success in painting Dukakis, a twelve year Governor of Massachusetts as unfit for the Presidency, then just imagine what the Republicans would do to someone like a left coast multi millionaire Hollywood ham like Clooney.

I can see the ads now from independent organizations

GEORGE CLOONEY THE LEFTIST LOONEY

I agree, 2008 was for all intents and purposes unwinnable for the Republicans, that is of course unless the Democrats nominated someone, e.g. Clooney, who was completely unqualified for the Presidency and not in the least bit credible as a nominee.  The Republicans would have completely destroyed him as a Presidential candidate.

Even given the fact that 77% of Americans wanted change, they still had to have an acceptable alternative to change to.  Given an acceptable alternative, i.e. Obama, yes, they would most definitely make a change.  Presented with some silver screen scene stealer, i.e. Clooney, however, they would most definitely go for a proven political leader, i.e. McCain.

Get real.

The bottom line is, the alternative has to be credible and acceptable.
DS0816
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 01:36:40 PM »

DS0816, thank you for the video.

I am in total agreement with the message being conveyed in the interview.

Good.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 01:44:44 PM »

The key words in this interview are acceptable alternative.

I am pleased to see we both agree.
DS0816
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 06:40:19 PM »

Yes, I'm very happy that you understand that George Clooney would've defeated John McCain.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 05:39:45 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2010, 10:46:16 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Yes, I'm very happy that you understand that George Clooney would've defeated John McCain.

Oh no, no, no, my friend.

You see, what you fail continually to understand, is that George Clooney fails, by light years, to come up to the level of an acceptable alternative.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies