Who should be Romney's VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:06:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who should be Romney's VP?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who should be Romney's VP?  (Read 3012 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 01:09:10 AM »

He'll pick an Evangelical Southerner with a strict Conservative track-record, popularity with the tea-party crowd, and who's previously supported Romney. '

In other words, Jim DeMint. 
milhouse24
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 01:12:04 AM »

I don't think Romney can win the nomination and if he did he is very weak on the electoral map against Obama.  A VP selection of Jeb or Daniels could help him, but he would be weak in other swing states.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 12:32:18 AM »

A super-Christain southerner like Gingrich or Huckabee
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 12:37:09 AM »

He should pick a VP who will appeal to the religious right.
milhouse24
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »

Honestly, I think Romney should pick Mike Reagan because why not.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 01:51:25 AM »

Too controversial in terms of rhetoric.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 05:59:45 AM »

The Reagan name would drag out the old conservatives, though.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 08:43:03 AM »

Romney-DeMint
milhouse24
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 11:35:22 AM »

Reagan is a common last name, there must be some state legislature with the name Reagan!
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 12:16:15 PM »

If the religion issue doesn't hurt her: Nikki Haley.  And the religion thing would be an issue only because of Romney's strange faith.

He needs to have a fundamental Christian to prevent religion from being an issue.

As a Mormon, he most certainly does. I'd say Mike Huckabee, because he's a super Christian from the south.

Yes but they don't get along.

I understand that. Perhaps that will stop Romney from choosing Huckabee. I just think his only concern is winning and his dislike for Huckabee won't get in the way.

You never know that's clearly a possibility with Huckabee. I was just thinking Scott Brown if Romney doesn't have a Massachusetts address anymore.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 09:09:42 PM »

Paul Ryan of Wisconsin.  Ryan would put Wisconsin into play and is smart and charasmatic.  No idiotic picks like Palin who add nothing to the ticket EV wise. 
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 11:50:41 PM »

Reagan is a common last name, there must be some state legislature with the name Reagan!

Yeah, but none of them are actually Ronnie's son.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 03:38:24 AM »

Joe Biden should be the Vice President of the country Romney is a citizen of. That is the only sense in which the question makes sense - Romney certainly should never ever be President of anything.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 12:59:07 PM »

Paul Ryan of Wisconsin.  Ryan would put Wisconsin into play and is smart and charasmatic.  No idiotic picks like Palin who add nothing to the ticket EV wise. 

If you want someone to put a state in play, they need to have won Statewide office, not just some backwater congressional district.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 02:09:10 PM »

If you want someone to put a state in play, they need to have won Statewide office, not just some backwater congressional district.

Well, if Wisconsin is close, a bigger than usual Republican margin in WI-01(say 60%-40% instead of the usual 53%-47%) could put Romney over the edge statewide. 
milhouse24
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 05:48:59 PM »

If the religion issue doesn't hurt her: Nikki Haley.  And the religion thing would be an issue only because of Romney's strange faith.

He needs to have a fundamental Christian to prevent religion from being an issue.

As a Mormon, he most certainly does. I'd say Mike Huckabee, because he's a super Christian from the south.

I understand that. Perhaps that will stop Romney from choosing Huckabee. I just think his only concern is winning and his dislike for Huckabee won't get in the way.

You never know that's clearly a possibility with Huckabee. I was just thinking Scott Brown if Romney doesn't have a Massachusetts address anymore.

I don't know why anyone would think Scott Brown would be a good VP candidate and it would be a PR fiasco for Romney.  Its really an insane suggestion.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2010, 05:59:12 PM »

I don't know why anyone would think Scott Brown would be a good VP candidate and it would be a PR fiasco for Romney.  Its really an insane suggestion.

lol
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »

Well, if Wisconsin is close, a bigger than usual Republican margin in WI-01(say 60%-40% instead of the usual 53%-47%) could put Romney over the edge statewide. 

That's true, but wouldn't you rather put the whole State in play?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2010, 09:41:47 PM »

That's true, but wouldn't you rather put the whole State in play?

As for EV change, I don't think we've had a candidate really change the EV in decades. Some would consider Gore but other than that there's no one since the 60's who has changed the map as a VP candidate. It's become a much less important issue for voters.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 03:07:31 PM »

John Thune.  Romney needs another person who isn't a moderate Republican and is very popular, or else he looses some of the hardcore GOP base. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies