Who should be Romney's VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:28:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who should be Romney's VP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who should be Romney's VP?  (Read 3011 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2010, 11:24:51 PM »

If he wins the nomination for President in 2012.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:32:41 PM »

Thune and Daniels comes to mind.  Both are generally popular, and might help unite the ticket behind Romney.  Not so sure about other candidates.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:38:49 PM »

John Thune or someone from the midwest or south.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 11:43:29 PM »

Kasich and Portman are possibilities if either of them wins their respective race in Ohio.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:47:22 PM »

Kasich and Portman are possibilities if either of them wins their respective race in Ohio.

or George Allen
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 04:03:37 PM »

Thune and Daniels comes to mind.  Both are generally popular, and might help unite the ticket behind Romney.  Not so sure about other candidates.

^ and Portman...possibly Christie depending on how his term goes
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »

or George Allen

George Allen isn't running this year.

And for the question, I'd say Thune, Daniels, or Bob McDonnell.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 03:12:12 PM »

If the religion issue doesn't hurt her: Nikki Haley.  And the religion thing would be an issue only because of Romney's strange faith.

He needs to have a fundamental Christian to prevent religion from being an issue.
TopherAwesome
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 07:40:31 PM »

If the religion issue doesn't hurt her: Nikki Haley.  And the religion thing would be an issue only because of Romney's strange faith.

He needs to have a fundamental Christian to prevent religion from being an issue.

As a Mormon, he most certainly does. I'd say Mike Huckabee, because he's a super Christian from the south.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 08:05:43 PM »

As a Mormon, he most certainly does. I'd say Mike Huckabee, because he's a super Christian from the south.

After the 2008 struggle, no.

Mitt should pick Gary Johnson, and then resign the day after inauguration. Grin
DS0816
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 03:33:01 AM »

If he wins the nomination for President in 2012.

He won't.
TopherAwesome
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 04:46:59 PM »

I highly doubt that would prohibit Huckabee from being the VP choice. I'm sure Romney cares more about winning than his hurt feelings.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 05:47:13 PM »

I highly doubt that would prohibit Huckabee from being the VP choice. I'm sure Romney cares more about winning than his hurt feelings.

Mitt didn't have "hurt feelings", they genuinely despise eachother. Many Romney supporters decry Huckabee as a "spoiler" for Romney, and vice versa. Not to mention the attack ads, or dislike that the Republican establishment has of Huckabee. Mitt would be better served picking a generic Southern Republican.

Mitt wouldn't ask, and Huckabee wouldn't accept.
TopherAwesome
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 06:16:50 PM »

Mitt didn't have "hurt feelings", they genuinely despise eachother. Many Romney supporters decry Huckabee as a "spoiler" for Romney, and vice versa. Not to mention the attack ads, or dislike that the Republican establishment has of Huckabee. Mitt would be better served picking a generic Southern Republican.

There are instances in history where the Nominee picked someone they detested to fill the bottom of the ticket. However, I won't pretend to know more about GOP Politics than you do. Let me ask this, which Southern Republican would you suggest Romney pick?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 06:29:50 PM »

There are instances in history where the Nominee picked someone they detested to fill the bottom of the ticket. However, I won't pretend to know more about GOP Politics than you do. Let me ask this, which Southern Republican would you suggest Romney pick?

Perry, or perhaps Jindal.

Yes, there are instances where the nominees picked someone they detested, but it's generally bad practice to do so - you don't want your right hand man being someone you don't get on well with. Had Huckabee not run in 2008, he may be a much more prospective pick for Romney.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 06:38:48 PM »

Portman is too closely associated with Bush Jr.'s economic policy, so he would be a bad pick. Kasich might work, but he will need to build up his name recognition.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 06:42:09 PM »

Portman is too closely associated with Bush Jr.'s economic policy, so he would be a bad pick. Kasich might work, but he will need to build up his name recognition.

Name recognition is hardly a prerequisite for being a VP candidate.  The act of being named to the ticket itself will give him plenty of name recognition.

In any case, all the possibilities who already have high name recognition are terrible choices.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 07:35:32 PM »

Possibly one of the new faces running elected in 2010 would be a good choice then.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 07:49:09 PM »

That would really depend on who all runs in 2012.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 08:32:34 PM »

Yes but they don't get along.
NCPitt436

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 09:56:37 PM »

I say a conservative in a swing state would be a good bet for Romney. Just my thought though.
TopherAwesome
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 10:03:13 PM »

Yes but they don't get along.

I understand that. Perhaps that will stop Romney from choosing Huckabee. I just think his only concern is winning and his dislike for Huckabee won't get in the way.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 11:08:47 PM »

Sam Brownback.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 12:12:39 AM »

Interesting to bring him up.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 12:30:24 AM »

Ya his Reaganism would balance the ticket.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies