The Public White House: Constitutional Convention at FINAL VOTE!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:40:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Public White House: Constitutional Convention at FINAL VOTE!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Author Topic: The Public White House: Constitutional Convention at FINAL VOTE!  (Read 21615 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 11, 2010, 12:28:55 AM »

Of course, this is all because those issues have all been "solved" in Atlasia at the present moment. The game's status quo is a social democracy, most of us accept the role of strong regions and we have focused almost exclusively on non-controversial issues or game reform for a while. In the place of real issues, the game has become a test of personalities.

And that's why the game sucks. You all are the reason for it.

Well I'm going to try to undo that, but I can't do it alone. Broad popular support for a federal "reset" is needed to make it happen.

I think a determined opposition on the right would work just as well as a reboot. If elected (shameless plug Wink) I will help to organize a strong opposition to the status quo of vague social democracy.

Besides, without a strong opposition, a reboot would be rather pointless, as you'd essentially end up where we are now within a few Senates.

A strong right would be possible only if the right is organizationally and numerically more powerful than the JCP, which will be determined in the upcoming election.

That said, a resurgent right is by no means a replacement for a "restart." I fear that a right-dominated Senate would end up just as entrenched and boring as the status quo, simply frittering away at the margins. To create true excitement, we need to start over.

A right-wing majority would likely disappear much more rapidly, though, since the internet is a fairly left-leaning place.

That's your problem to solve, not mine. Wink I'm an avowed game reformist who happens to favor regions merely as a functional means of introducing new members to the game. Leave me out of the ideological stuff.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2010, 12:30:52 AM »

There's that R word.

I've presided over a few of them, and if you need any help, I am here.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #227 on: October 11, 2010, 12:33:35 AM »

There's that R word.

I've presided over a few of them, and if you need any help, I am here.

We already have the infrastructure in place for one. If it were to occur, it would immediately precede a new administration and it would leave room for the preservation of fundamentally important legislation (i.e. voting regulations, criminal codes).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #228 on: October 11, 2010, 01:03:26 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2010, 01:07:37 AM by Darth PiT, Imperial Speaker »

Of course, this is all because those issues have all been "solved" in Atlasia at the present moment. The game's status quo is a social democracy, most of us accept the role of strong regions and we have focused almost exclusively on non-controversial issues or game reform for a while. In the place of real issues, the game has become a test of personalities.

And that's why the game sucks. You all are the reason for it.

Well I'm going to try to undo that, but I can't do it alone. Broad popular support for a federal "reset" is needed to make it happen.

I think a determined opposition on the right would work just as well as a reboot. If elected (shameless plug Wink) I will help to organize a strong opposition to the status quo of vague social democracy.

Besides, without a strong opposition, a reboot would be rather pointless, as you'd essentially end up where we are now within a few Senates.

A strong right would be possible only if the right is organizationally and numerically more powerful than the JCP, which will be determined in the upcoming election.

That said, a resurgent right is by no means a replacement for a "restart." I fear that a right-dominated Senate would end up just as entrenched and boring as the status quo, simply frittering away at the margins. To create true excitement, we need to start over.

A right-wing majority would likely disappear much more rapidly, though, since the internet is a fairly left-leaning place.

That's your problem to solve, not mine. Wink I'm an avowed game reformist who happens to favor regions merely as a functional means of introducing new members to the game. Leave me out of the ideological stuff.

A regionalist is a regionalist is a regionalist. Tongue

As for the reboot stuff, I personally think that having to repass some consensus bills would be boring, but I'm not a Senator, so my opinion of it doesn't matter.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #229 on: October 11, 2010, 01:11:03 AM »

You see that is the problem with the reboot though. You would have to separate and only start over with some bills and then the mere act of deciding which ones would be a nightmare.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #230 on: October 11, 2010, 01:30:57 AM »

You see that is the problem with the reboot though. You would have to separate and only start over with some bills and then the mere act of deciding which ones would be a nightmare.

It would also be a recipe for partisan wrangling & establishing the law as heavily leaning towards whatever faction was in control of the Senate at the time. Keeping forum affairs legislation would probably be a good idea, but anything short of ditching every other bill on the books would probably lead to a stillbirth for the poor parents of the would-be reboot.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #231 on: October 11, 2010, 04:08:58 AM »

Also the obsession with regions is silly, but whatever. It's your game. Make it boring and stupid if you want.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #232 on: October 11, 2010, 04:55:07 AM »

The only way to properly do the R word is to start from scratch.

That means all of us suddenly find ourselves in a large constitutional convention. There would be no Senate to debate measures because one has not been created yet. We'd have to create the regions (if we even want regions) from scratch (though one would presume that the existing regions would certainly be a popular choice) and we would need to decide what kind of government we even want, a presidential system like we have, or a more parliamentary system where everyone who is anyone sits in the Senate. Do we even want a President? How about a King or a Sultan? Why not hold elections every 3 months or every 5? etc etc etc.

Anything short of starting from scratch is not carrying out the R word.

The only thing that we should decide if we carry out the R word is that the first order of business for the new convention would be to elect a speaker to preside over the debate.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2010, 06:32:16 AM »

I am firmly opposed to "the R word".  Whats done is done.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2010, 07:25:05 AM »

Personally, my wet dream is to abolish the Vice Presidency, make President a ceremonial head of state, and hand the executive powers to a Prime Minister.

But it's not going to happen. And I'm pretty satisfied with all change ConCon and PS have initiated within our limits.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »

The only way to properly do the R word is to start from scratch.

That means all of us suddenly find ourselves in a large constitutional convention. There would be no Senate to debate measures because one has not been created yet. We'd have to create the regions (if we even want regions) from scratch (though one would presume that the existing regions would certainly be a popular choice) and we would need to decide what kind of government we even want, a presidential system like we have, or a more parliamentary system where everyone who is anyone sits in the Senate. Do we even want a President? How about a King or a Sultan? Why not hold elections every 3 months or every 5? etc etc etc.

Anything short of starting from scratch is not carrying out the R word.

The only thing that we should decide if we carry out the R word is that the first order of business for the new convention would be to elect a speaker to preside over the debate.

Technically the current Convention is meant to be exactly that. Creating a "new" Constitution to replace the current one and removing all legislation save those the Senate decides to keep. It is just on a manageable scale, but it will require popular approval once it is passed.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2010, 01:18:56 PM »

Personally, my wet dream is to abolish the Vice Presidency, make President a ceremonial head of state, and hand the executive powers to a Prime Minister.

That would certainly make things interesting. Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2010, 01:21:21 PM »

That would be great if Atlasia wasn't supposed to be directly based on the US.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #238 on: October 11, 2010, 01:59:46 PM »

Vepres, who said we're required to stick forever with one model?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #239 on: October 11, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »

Vepres, who said we're required to stick forever with one model?

Atlasia is a fantasy US. Besides, this is a forum called US Election Atlas Tongue
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #240 on: October 11, 2010, 11:34:15 PM »

Very Important Announcement

The Constitutional Convention is reaching its end, with the final two documents being voted on as we speak.

At this time, delegates and all Atlasians are welcome to offer their thoughts on an amendment to ANY part of the new Constitution, which will be considered all at once in one final amendment vote coming up in the next 48-72 hours. This means that any changes you would like to see to the current document should be offered right now.

Here is the relevant announcement in the Convention thread:

During the next 48 hours, please offer any amendments, as well as debate, that you would like to see considered for any part of the document. This is your last chance to make finishing touches to any of the more controversial changes, including dual-office holding, regional legislatures, the legislative restart, etc.

Feel free to offer opposing variations to amendments as well, which will then be brought up as a package vote.

Here is the relevant links to help you out:

Constitutional Convention thread

Constitutional Convention completed documents page

Please review the completed documents and post here or in the Convention thread with your comments, ideas or amendments. I would be happy to offer well thought out amendments on behalf of non-delegates.

This is a crucial moment in this process, as the next step is a final vote and then presentation to the regions for approval.

Thanks,
~President Purple State
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2010, 01:58:18 AM »

Very Important Announcement

The Constitutional Convention is reaching its end, with the final two documents being voted on as we speak.

At this time, delegates and all Atlasians are welcome to offer their thoughts on an amendment to ANY part of the new Constitution, which will be considered all at once in one final amendment vote coming up in the next 48-72 hours. This means that any changes you would like to see to the current document should be offered right now.

Here is the relevant announcement in the Convention thread:

During the next 48 hours, please offer any amendments, as well as debate, that you would like to see considered for any part of the document. This is your last chance to make finishing touches to any of the more controversial changes, including dual-office holding, regional legislatures, the legislative restart, etc.

Feel free to offer opposing variations to amendments as well, which will then be brought up as a package vote.

Here is the relevant links to help you out:

Constitutional Convention thread

Constitutional Convention completed documents page

Please review the completed documents and post here or in the Convention thread with your comments, ideas or amendments. I would be happy to offer well thought out amendments on behalf of non-delegates.

This is a crucial moment in this process, as the next step is a final vote and then presentation to the regions for approval.

Thanks,
~President Purple State

Articles VII and VIII have been passed and the entire proposed Third Constitution is now nearly set. There is now just under 24 hours remaining for the proposal of amendments to any part of this document, before a final vote and presentation to the regions for the ratification process.

Please, I implore all the citizens of Atlasia, read through the completed documents page (linked in the quoted announcement above) and propose any amendments in this thread or in the Constitutional Convention thread (also linked above). Even if you don't know how to word the amendment properly, provide your thoughts and I will help you out.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2010, 07:31:12 AM »

Atlasians,

I STRONGLY OPPOSE the Third Constitution in its current form, with the inclusion of a legislative re-boot:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I am a little bit miffed at Purple State for trying to sneak this in without any fanfare.  I actually missed this on my first reading.  We are about to throw six years of legislative history right out the window.  Everything our government has ever done, gone, done, erased.  Every bill that anyone at all has ever fought to get passed, we now have to do it again.  This is just fundamentally wrong, plain and simple.

I urge the Convention to remove this clause.  If it does not, I urge the public to vote the new Constitution down.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2010, 08:40:18 AM »

Atlasians,

I STRONGLY OPPOSE the Third Constitution in its current form, with the inclusion of a legislative re-boot:

I am a little bit miffed at Purple State for trying to sneak this in without any fanfare.  I actually missed this on my first reading.  We are about to throw six years of legislative history right out the window.  Everything our government has ever done, gone, done, erased.  Every bill that anyone at all has ever fought to get passed, we now have to do it again.  This is just fundamentally wrong, plain and simple.

I urge the Convention to remove this clause.  If it does not, I urge the public to vote the new Constitution down.

I take offense at the implication that I tried to sneak by a "legislative restart." I've been mentioning that clause for days and I've had the entire draft Constitution available, with that clause, since long before I was elected president. We also noted that the clause was being considered at that time, generating a fair bit of debate.

I will offer an amendment to allow the delegates to choose whether they want to keep it in, but claims that I have tried to hide this part of the draft Constitution are patently false and unappreciated.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #244 on: October 13, 2010, 01:33:21 PM »

My apologies, Mr. President.  I guess I had always believed the Constitution re-write and the legislative re-boot to be two seperate things.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #245 on: October 13, 2010, 02:28:33 PM »

Atlasians,

I didn't see this either. A Con Con and a R word (Reset, Reboot, Refresh, Restart) are different things and should be approached at different times. Without this single clause the Con Con may well pass unanimously, with it, the entire document will fail.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #246 on: October 14, 2010, 07:38:07 PM »

Announcement

The Constitutional Convention is now at a final vote.

In the final round of amendments, it was decided that the legislative restart would be removed and that the current restriction on dual-office holding would remain as it exists currently.

The final document can be found HERE and requires a two-thirds vote of the Convention to be sent to the region.

ATTN Governors! Upon final approval by the delegates, the document will be transmitted to the regions for approval. A majority vote of three-fourths (i.e., four) of the regions is necessary for final ratification. Please be prepared to open up a voting booth for your region to vote on the draft Third Constitution. Thank you.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #247 on: October 14, 2010, 09:21:45 PM »

Announcement

The Constitutional Convention is now at a final vote.

In the final round of amendments, it was decided that the legislative restart would be removed and that the current restriction on dual-office holding would remain as it exists currently.

The final document can be found HERE and requires a two-thirds vote of the Convention to be sent to the region.

ATTN Governors! Upon final approval by the delegates, the document will be transmitted to the regions for approval. A majority vote of three-fourths (i.e., four) of the regions is necessary for final ratification. Please be prepared to open up a voting booth for your region to vote on the draft Third Constitution. Thank you.
Thanks for the heads up! Smiley The Mideast will have it's up very soon after this passes.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies