Westman Timeline Pt. I
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:20:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Westman Timeline Pt. I
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 40
Author Topic: Westman Timeline Pt. I  (Read 186786 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: March 23, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »

We all know why Fred Harris won Iowa. Grin
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #376 on: March 23, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »

I see somebody has read up on the (way overdue for updates) classics Grin.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #377 on: March 23, 2011, 07:16:12 PM »

**Ahem**

Anyway, yeah. Before I joined the forum I was reading timelines since at least early 2010. I remember waiting in vain for Dallasfan65 to update "The Second Term of Gerald Ford". In the period where I wasn't on the forum, I also read your Goldwater timeline and your End of Freedom timeline. At that point I think you were calling yourself "Metal Mario" or something. **sigh** Brings back memories.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #378 on: March 23, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »

**Ahem**
 I remember waiting in vain for Dallasfan65 to update "The Second Term of Gerald Ford".

Someday, my friend. Someday..
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #379 on: March 24, 2011, 12:27:23 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2011, 12:38:56 AM by Pierce Revivalist »

December 4th, 1963
Whitefish Resort:

Scott Westman enters the building and immediately locates his "wife" Catalina.  At the young age of 18 few would guess that the youthful Scott Westman was already married (to a girl of 15 years) and had a daughter.  But of course the resort town of Whitefish, Montana knew full well of Scott Westman and his love Catalina, how the two fell head over heels and spent the night in the mountains.  A month later Catalina comes back from the doctor with the news and the whole town went into outrage mode.  Scott Westman, out of fear of Mister Umberg (Catalina's father) would marry the young girl.  And just two weeks ago a baby girl by the name of Brea was born to the young couple.
Westman finally finds his Catalina looking out a window near the resort office where his uncle Fletch Murphy, the resort owner, worked.  Lately Westman had needed some extra work to save up for his college fund where he hoped he would earn enough to bring his wife and daughter up with him.  The one thing he regretted about leaving was that he would leave behind his beloved sister Nora.  His parents........hell he wouldn't miss them.  They weren't really ever present in his life like his little sister was.  Somedays Westman had to be reminded that he still had parents.  In fact the closest Westman had to a father for most of his life was Fletch, his de facto uncle.  Fletch never married Westman's aunt Connie, believing that marriage is "an outdated institution".  The lanky middle aged Irish businessman who had worked at the Whitefish Resort since time immemorial and who became the owner of the Whitefish Resort in 1955 when Westman was ten.
Westman walks up behind Catalina and embraces her.
Westman: Hey honey.
She turns around and gives him a kiss.
Catalina: Dear.  What do you think your uncle wants you to do now?
Westman: Hell if I know.  Maybe he'll have me waste some people.
Catalina has a shocked look on her face.
Westman: Come on I'm only kidding!  Does this look like South Boston to you?
Catalina: Well with the amount of competition your uncle has figuratively "killed" it wouldn't surprise me.
Westman: Come on Caty, Uncle Fletch is a businessman first and foremost.  And a very good and competitive one at that.
Catalina: But with all of his buying off of landowners and rival skiing lodges?  He practically owns the northwestern part of the state.
Fletch steps out side of his office and sees Westman.
Murphy: Beannachtaí maith leat mo nia.
Westman: Beannachtaí maith duit uncail.
Fletch looks at Catalina
Murphy: Lassie, we'll be awhile.  Have a magazine (gives her a Time Magazine) to pass the time.
Catalina chuckles.
Catalina: But this is old people stuff.
Murphy looks taken aback.
Murphy: We'll discuss this later lass.  Come in Scott.
Scott follows his "uncle" into his office.  Immediately Fletch goes for the Rum.
Westman: Bad lá, uncail?
Murphy: You f**kin a-rite I been haben a bad f**kin day boy!  What the f***in hail did you think I hevin this conversation in this office for! Mic a bitch!
Westman: Man what's going on?  Fletch buddy level with me.
Murphy: These f**king dhaoine a máthair lú fraochÚn come into my resort, INTO MY HOME, MY PLACE OF DIVINE WORSHIP, mo shaol and tell me that I'm going to be selected for an audit.  Cac!  Cac!  Cac!
Westman: Settle the hell down Fletch, what the hell are they going to get you for anyway?  You run a completely legitimate operation.........right?
Murphy puts a glass on the other side of the table and pours it to the brim for Westman.
Murphy: Mo pháiste, there is much you have yet to know.  Let's just keep this off the record and off the books.
Westman: So what are you doing Uncle? (notices Catalina looking in) Clárbhrat prostitutes leanbh? Oibriúcháin ar nead codlaidín barr rún? (laughs)
Murphy: This isn't very f***ing funny you damned fool!  Since you seem to be taking such a lighthearted approach to such matters perhaps I should show you.
Murphy opens up his office closet and then reaches down towards the floor to reveal a safe door on the ground.  He opens it to reveal a cellar.  Westman walks down into the cellar before gasping.
Westman: Oh my god............
Murphy: Yeah, surprised?
Westman: How long have you been doing this operation?
Murphy: Since the 1930's, in other words most of my life.
Westman: Oh holy sh*t.....are you telling me that this whole time you were OPERATI-
Murphy: Éist leis an ifreann suas!  You want half of the town to know that réigiúin seo díoltóir is mó de codlaidín amh is the owner of this resort?!
Westman: Really?  You are?
Murphy: Is féidir leat do thóin geall.
Westman: So what the hell do you need me for?
Murphy: It's quite simple really.  The auditor shows up here next month.  What I need for you to do is to move this merchandise under the cover of night to this locations (shows Westman a map with an X somewhere near the mountains).  It's time to take this operation underground.
Westman: What do I tell Caty?
Murphy: Good boy, you don't tell her anything.  Anything at all.
Westman looks up with clarity in his eyes.
Westman: Okay Fletch on one condition.
Murphy: What is that?
Westman: Give me a part of the cut.

Some of the foreign language might not be 100% correct.  Honestly I ripped this off of a translator so take that as you will.  Trust me there is a reason why I'm not posting the english translation of what is taking place here.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #380 on: March 24, 2011, 03:24:37 PM »

So yeah I have two projects due tomorrow so don't expect any updates tonight.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #381 on: March 24, 2011, 06:05:49 PM »

Just a question, and this may have been mentioned earlier but I just didn't catch it.

Is Crane battling alcoholism ITTL?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #382 on: March 24, 2011, 07:42:13 PM »

Just a question, and this may have been mentioned earlier but I just didn't catch it.

Is Crane battling alcoholism ITTL?

Thanks for bringing it up I almost forgot.
President Crane enjoys a drink every now and then but at the moment he doesn't do it enough to necessarily have a problem.  That isn't to say though that a *ahem* tragic event wouldn't push him over the edge........
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #383 on: March 27, 2011, 08:17:03 AM »

Thing is, Ben Nighthorse Campbell didn't get into politics until 1986. Who's he in this timeline?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #384 on: March 27, 2011, 11:31:41 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2011, 11:34:10 AM by Incest Revivalist »

Thing is, Ben Nighthorse Campbell didn't get into politics until 1986. Who's he in this timeline?

Ben Nighthorse Campbell was a successful businessman from Breckenridge in this TL.  He operated the Campbell Skiing Resort from October 1969-August 1977, when he resigned to run for political office.  He then became the representative for Colorado District 2.
He served in that capacity until December 11th, 1982, when Phil Crane appoint him to the Interior office to replace Jedediah L. Nameth (C-AL) who resigned in protest to Crane's "far left drift".  His replacement, Kathleen Welherin (no relation to the O'Welherins (Westman ancestors) of Kilkenny) would take office on December 12th.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #385 on: March 27, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2011, 12:30:24 PM by Incest Revivalist »

I realize this entry seems a bit undramatic but I thought I should post it:

May 22nd, 1984
Montana Democratic Gubernatorial Primary Voting Day:

All around the state of Montana Democrats came around to vote for their gubernatorial candidate in November.  The race had been hard fought and the lead had switched back and forth all campaign long.  The battle between Senator Max Baucus and Scott Westman would make news on an almost daily basis for much of May 1984.  And now the day had finally come, the day that the conflict would be put to rest (at least for now) when the Democrats of Montana went to the polls.  Westman had the edge on Baucus with 51.2% approval.  In the wake of the controversial nature of the pre-election the end result of the primary battle would be the most shocking:

Democratic Gubernatorial Primary
Scott Westman (Democratic-Missoula): 57.18%
Max Baucus (Democratic-Helena): 38.75%
Other: 4.07%

Scott Westman's overwhelming victory over Max Baucus, would shock the political world who expected a way closer election.  Many would give credence to Westman's May 12th ad where he didn't make any mention to his opponent and talked about how he would bring together a more united Montana.  What's more the primary victory would give Westman a strong boost in the polls against the Republican ticket, beating the incumbent governor in the polls by two points.

Westman's strong victory would be cited by many of his supporters who argued that if it weren't for the Blizzard From Hell Westman would still be US Senator.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #386 on: March 29, 2011, 01:43:35 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2011, 07:46:56 AM by Draka Revivalist »

In a van down by the river:
Advisory: Bad jokes ahead.

Scott Westman is watching the tv results in a lighted van with Carl.  Carl is enjoying a Hershey's when the results come in:
We have just been informed that the Montana Gubernatorial Race has produced a very shocking result.
Carl gets a "damn it" look on his face.
Scott Westman, the man favored to win, has won the election with a nearly 20% margin over his opponent Max Baucus.
Scott Westman looks shocked to death.
Westman: What THE F***?  HOW?Huh  HOW?Huh?  IN A F***ING GUBERNATORIAL PRIMARY!?  AGAINST A REPUBLICAN INCUMBENT!?
Brea walks into the van and sits between Scott's legs to watch the results.
Brea: What'd you expect Pops?  Charisma and handsome looks get you far in this world.
Westman shrugs.
Westman: I don't see what the big deal is.....
Brea: Well charismatic people are really good with using words to sway people.  Being really cute is another plus if you hope to capture the female vote.  I'd vote for you.....daddy.
Westman looks outside and sees a camera crew posted.  Thanks for the heads up Brea.
Westman gets up and slams the van door shut.  He puts his arms around Brea as she leans back into him.
Carl speaks up.
Herschelwitz: Jeez, do I need to get you two a room?
Westman: You could use a room yourself man.  And a woman too.
Herschelwitz: Who needs women when you got genius?
Westman: Well I prefer the genius and *two women*.
Herschelwitz: Sh*t, I can't beat that.
Westman: You know what else you can't beat?  69% in Butte.  Read and weep.
Herschelwitz: That's great!
Westman: It just doesn't make any sense though Carl.  I mean you've been there, those people love unions!  Yet I, the Great Anti-Union Satan, won there.  Overwhelmingly.
Herschelwitz: Well I wouldn't let it keep you up at night man.  You're a Hibernian Candidate.  SO what!  It just means more guaranteed votes come election day.  If I were you I would focus on more important things, like thinking of ways to be even more borderline incest creepy with your daughter.  Leave the political campaigning stuff to me.
Westman gives Carl the finger.
Herschelwitz: Hey!  That's not very nice, asshole.
Westman: Funny, I don't feel sh*tty today!
Both men laugh.
Herschelwitz: Hey Scott.
Westman: What?
Herschelwitz: Not sure if you noticed but you have some lipstick on your neck.  Been busy lately?  Might want to get the glitter off before Caroline suspects you of going across the hall.
Westman laughs.
Westman: Dick.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #387 on: March 29, 2011, 02:12:04 AM »
« Edited: May 22, 2011, 11:06:03 PM by Mechaesthetics »

June 2nd, 1984
Billings, Montana
Westman for Governor Rally:

Scott Westman is addressing the crowd.
"Today Montana, today is a great new day for this state.  Today I am here to announce the arrival of a very special guest.  Me and this woman go back a ways, and it is my pleasure to introduce her as the running mate and candidate for the Lieutenant Governor office come November.  Ladies and Gentlemen, this is Mendelik D'Israeli!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #388 on: March 29, 2011, 04:31:40 PM »

Why is Westman saying "What the F**ck!" when he won and acting somewhat angry about it in the first few sentences?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #389 on: March 29, 2011, 04:35:20 PM »

Why is Westman saying "What the F**ck!" when he won and acting somewhat angry about it in the first few sentences?

That's not anger, that's shock
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #390 on: March 30, 2011, 03:11:08 PM »

I'm a bit bummed to see D'israeli dropped from the ticket.

Btw - are you going to post the map? Tongue
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #391 on: March 30, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »

The 1984 Democratic Primary for Governor.

Yellow is Westman and Red is Baucus.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #392 on: March 30, 2011, 04:28:23 PM »

One more PM crap, and I shall boycott this thread.

Why so offended by a nice tidbit of information that explains a fictional character's political leanings? Huh
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #393 on: March 30, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »

I was reading this thread since start out of loyalty to a friend. Now, I can stop give a s**t. Finally.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #394 on: March 30, 2011, 05:00:31 PM »

Glad to see a sane D'Israeli running for Senate. Imagine the Senate with not just one, but two D'Israelis! (unless of course D'Israeli isn't in the Senate because he forwent re-election in order to run for President or something) I have a like for political dynasties.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #395 on: March 30, 2011, 05:04:44 PM »

I was reading this thread since start out of loyalty to a friend. Now, I can stop give a s**t. Finally.

I would've preferred if you were honest with me in the first place man.
It was upsetting to me when I first heard this but you know what?  Cooler heads prevail.
I can't please all the people all the time.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #396 on: March 30, 2011, 06:13:55 PM »

When reading I must have accidentally skipped over the whole Mechaman-Kalwejt conflict. Tongue
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #397 on: March 30, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »

When reading I must have accidentally skipped over the whole Mechaman-Kalwejt conflict. Tongue

Meh Kal deleted his posts.  Pretty much he said "if you keep doing PMs I'll quit reading" and I was like "I won't lose sleep".  Yeah........
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #398 on: May 22, 2011, 11:27:47 PM »

CNN Crossfire
With David Wolfe and Patrick Mahan
June 5th, 1984:

Wolfe:
Today's main topic: Westman's pick for Lieutenant Governor in his race for the Montana Governorship.  I personally was kind of surprised by the pick.  Granted, Westman was known for his pragmatic agenda while serving in the United States Senate, but D'Israeli?  The guy he ran against?  Really?
Mahan: Well there have been a number of skeptics but I believe that ultimately it was the right choice.  As of late the Republican Party of Montana has drifted more towards authoritarianism and libertarian Republicans like Mendelik D'Israeli are starting to rebel against the order.
Wolfe: But with Phil Crane being a more popular than average President are you sure that is so wise?  I mean to run against your own party during an election year?
Mahan: Well you see David not many people thought that Scott Westman would lose to a third party conservative in 1982 did they?  Anything is possible Dave.  I mean Scott Westman was originally elected to the US Senate in 1976, in the surprise re-election of Ronald Reagan.  Not many people in June of 1976 thought that Reagan would still be President come January 1977 just like they thought that it was unlikely there would be a Democratic controlled Congress, though only for two years.
Wolfe: But this is Scott Westman we're talking about here.  The man is just not popular I mean he barely got elected in 1976 when the environment in Montana state was very favorable towards Democrats.
Mahan: Well that was in 1976.  The environment that existed in the Democratic Party of Montana at the time was considerably harsher than the one that exists today.  You have to remember that Mike Mansfield's progressivism was somewhat different from the liberalism of Scott Westman.  While Mansfield fought tooth and nail for the defense of the Social Security fund and in defense of public unions Westman has been one of the foremost advocates of partial privatization of the Social Security fund and has on occasion called on Crane to fire airline union workers.  I mean he was running a very counter establishment Democratic message in 1976, a message that under the popular Crane actually has made him one of the most popular Montana Democratic politicians.
Wolfe: But with his personal scandals or what not?
Mahan: Saying that Scott Westman doesn't know how to handle scandals is like saying Steve Howe doesn't know how to play guitar David.  Westman actually thrives off of the controversy, whether or not it's intentional.  The Westman people just have such an amazing ability to paint his opponents as out of touch moralists who don't really care about political issues but instead about what Scott Westman's daily schedule looks like.  The fact that some of the loonies even go as far as to make up accusations of pedophilia and incest only makes Westman look more and more like a persecuted independent politician instead of Montana's most popular politician.
Wolfe: That's kind of bold calling Westman the most popular politician in Montana.  But why this, why run for the governorship when he can have so much more effect in the US Senate?  Or why not move to another state, a bigger one preferably, and then run for that governorship?
Mahan: I don't know David, maybe he does feel a calling to serve the people of Montana as the Governor.  When I talked to Carl Herschelwitz about how long Westman had been planning this he said "well he wasn't planning this in December 1982 if that's what you're asking".  I imagine he probably thinks that if he gets a term or two of executive experience under his belt along with his experience in the United States Senate he would be in prime condition to take on the White House.  After all, with the unpopularity of Progressivism at the moment I can imagine that a libertarian leaning Democrat like Westman might be able to make huge waves with a portion of the Crane Coalition.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #399 on: May 22, 2011, 11:36:13 PM »

UPDATE:

After a month and a half of thought I decided that my original plan to have D'Israeli on the ticket really does make better sense.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies