If Daniels is the GOP nominee in 2012...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:15:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If Daniels is the GOP nominee in 2012...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If Daniels is the GOP nominee in 2012...  (Read 3345 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 11:52:08 PM »
« edited: June 22, 2010, 11:57:26 PM by Kevin »

I would say he should look towards someone who is also known for their fiscal credentials, or known for experience with foreign policy/constitutional issues.

Pat Toomey
Brian Sandoval
Marsha Blackburn
Judd Gregg
Paul Ryan
Brian Dubie
Jane Norton
Mitt Romney

Brian Sandoval would be a good pick as he comes from a Democratic-leaning swing state, is a well rounded candidate on the issues, young and is Hispanic.

If he win's the governorship of Nevada of course.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 12:17:38 AM »

I would say he should look towards someone who is also known for their fiscal credentials, or known for experience with foreign policy/constitutional issues.

Pat Toomey
Brian Sandoval
Marsha Blackburn
Judd Gregg
Paul Ryan
Brian Dubie
Jane Norton
Mitt Romney

Brian Sandoval would be a good pick as he comes from a Democratic-leaning swing state, is a well rounded candidate on the issues, young and is Hispanic.

You think NV is a democrat leaning swing state? The only evidence I see in that was the last election but that's only because of the housing market. Obama hasn't been too popular there since.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 12:54:17 AM »

Pat Toomey
Brian Sandoval
Marsha Blackburn
Judd Gregg
Paul Ryan
Brian Dubie
Jane Norton
Mitt Romney

You think NV is a democrat leaning swing state? The only evidence I see in that was the last election but that's only because of the housing market. Obama hasn't been too popular there since.

It has been since 2006, although this year it will swing back for the Republicans (except for maybe the Senate race). I would also like to add Haley would be and excellent vp possibility as well since she is the heavy favorite for the governorship now.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 01:06:10 AM »

Pat Toomey
Brian Sandoval
Marsha Blackburn
Judd Gregg
Paul Ryan
Brian Dubie
Jane Norton
Mitt Romney

It has been since 2006, although this year it will swing back for the Republicans (except for maybe the Senate race). I would also like to add Haley would be and excellent vp possibility as well since she is the heavy favorite for the governorship now.

Every battleground state has gone to the left since 2006 and they're coming back to the right. NV is a swing state like NM, IA, OH, NH, and CO.
milhouse24
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 01:45:34 AM »

He should pick Jeb as VP to win florida, or maybe Crist.  But I think Mitch is more VP material and not presidential material.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 12:22:50 AM »

Mitch is a social con, but he's not that outspoken about it, so he needs a Jesus-Christ-superstar kind of VP. Then he needs someone with foreign policy experience. Might I say Gingrich?
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 12:09:04 PM »

John thune bc he shores up support among social conservatives.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2010, 12:17:40 PM »

Shoring up support among social "conservatives" (really the authoritarian Right) implies the intensification of disdain among social liberals who now outnumber social conservatives. Sarah Palin so demonstrated that in 2008. Thune may not be as scatterbrained, but he isn't going to convert anyone.   
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 04:07:34 PM »

Shoring up support among social "conservatives" (really the authoritarian Right) implies the intensification of disdain among social liberals who now outnumber social conservatives. Sarah Palin so demonstrated that in 2008. Thune may not be as scatterbrained, but he isn't going to convert anyone.   

Yes but there's more social conservatives than liberals. I'd like to see Daniels solidify the mid-west. Thune, Huckabee, Kasich, Thompson, or Pawlenty could do that.
milhouse24
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 12:23:41 AM »

Yes but there's more social conservatives than liberals. I'd like to see Daniels solidify the mid-west. Thune, Huckabee, Kasich, Thompson, or Pawlenty could do that.
Thune would be a good choice, gives a governor/Senator balance.  I'm not sure if you are talking about Fred Thompson but he would be a decent choice even though Freddy would never ever take the VP job because he hates campaigning.  I'm not convinced Daniels even wants to run for President and he could very well lose to Barbour who wants the nomination more badly and has better influence in the RNC circles.  I think a Catholic-HIspanic would be a good choice for a VP, takes away traditional Democrat voters in swing states.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »

Thune would be a good choice, gives a governor/Senator balance.  I'm not sure if you are talking about Fred Thompson but he would be a decent choice even though Freddy would never ever take the VP job because he hates campaigning.  I'm not convinced Daniels even wants to run for President and he could very well lose to Barbour who wants the nomination more badly and has better influence in the RNC circles.  I think a Catholic-HIspanic would be a good choice for a VP, takes away traditional Democrat voters in swing states.

Ah yes Marco Rubio would also do well but let's keep experience in mind. I was thinking of Tommy Thompson actually. I agree that Fred Thompson wouldn't want the role of VP. Right now my top 2 choices for VP are Brown and Thune but I've also been thinking that Romney is going to get the nomination. Daniels may want to go the mid-western route and pick Thune or Huckabee.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2010, 04:57:05 PM »

The only part of the Midwest in which a "social conservative" can shore things up for the Republican nominee is the swath of states from North Dakota to Oklahoma, none of which has voted for a Democratic nominee (except NE-02, once) since 1964, and Missouri, which is about half Southern. Otherwise a "social conservative" offends too many secular suburbanites. That includes most of the Hispanic population which has little use for anti-intellectualism even if it is undereducated. Hispanics are much more liberal than other Americans except on law and order.

A warning: tokenism will be a disaster. Sarah Palin became a token. 

Heck, a "social conservative" might lose NE-02, consisting of Greater Omaha, again.   
Jensen
geraldford76
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -8.17

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2010, 07:42:18 PM »

George Pataki or Gordon Smith fit well.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2010, 07:47:34 PM »

I like Gordon Smith. I'd like to see him make a comeback. I was kind of sad when he lost in 2008, And I'm a pretty partisan Democrat.
milhouse24
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 12:35:35 AM »

Ah yes Marco Rubio would also do well but let's keep experience in mind. I was thinking of Tommy Thompson actually. I agree that Fred Thompson wouldn't want the role of VP. Right now my top 2 choices for VP are Brown and Thune but I've also been thinking that Romney is going to get the nomination. Daniels may want to go the mid-western route and pick Thune or Huckabee.
First, Tommy Thompson is almost 70.  Scott Brown has 1 year of Senate experience and is from the same state as Romney - You might need to do some reading before you post these things. 
milhouse24
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 12:37:01 AM »

Pataki is a committed pro-choicer
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 08:24:48 AM »

He doesn't need a so-con VP. He is so-con enough.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2010, 08:40:21 AM »

I still say Robert Gates.  He's a moderate with lots of experience and a strong foreign policy record who alienates nobody.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies