how do we openly confront an aggressive authoritarian movement?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:21:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  how do we openly confront an aggressive authoritarian movement?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: how do we openly confront an aggressive authoritarian movement?  (Read 598 times)
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:00:14 AM »

If a political movement takes on a militant aspect than it is most likely authoritarian. The problem is how do we confront them without compromising our values? For example the social democrats were the only elected party in Germany who openly opposed the nazi's, and openly opposed the enabling act despite all of the terrorist threats. Unfortunately the Social democrats only attempted to do things through a legislative process, but they never actually did anything in the streets while nazi's were handing out flyers, and being disruptive in coffee shops.

Finally I would like to point out that some people have made suggestions, and perhaps it is possible to learn from pre-hitler Germany's mistakes.
1) Some say just ignore them, and at first this may seem effective but anyone familiar with meta-history analysis of pre-hitler germany may realize that ignoring them could present a huge problem.

2) Openly confronting them may seem like the natural thing to do, but it just seems like something that will give them a power trip.

Fascism will come wrapped in a flag and carrying a Bible. ~ Sinclair Lewis 1935
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:56:20 AM »

Why don't you tell us what to do?
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 10:04:36 AM »

Why don't you tell us what to do?

I cant because I think my methods would just make things worse. For example openly confronting them might just confirm their own bias, and present them with a false sense of "society is finally paying attention to what i have to say". Unfortunately these movements cant be ignored.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies