I've been yet again accepted to anoher college!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:28:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I've been yet again accepted to anoher college!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I've been yet again accepted to anoher college!  (Read 642 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:23:48 AM »

I've yet again been accepted to another college as a transfer. This time it's Allegheny College of PA, which makes me feel like I have to make a decision on my choices so far. However, I still think I will go with Mason.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:28:06 AM »

I've yet again been accepted to another college as a transfer. This time it's Allegheny College of PA, which makes me feel like I have to make a decision on my choices so far. However, I still think I will go with Mason.

Allegheny is a wonderful school........Meadville is kind of out there though........I'm betting you'll like the living at George Mason.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:40:48 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2010, 03:02:07 PM by Kevin »

Allegheny is a wonderful school........Meadville is kind of out there though........I'm betting you'll like the living at George Mason.

Yeah that's what I hear about Meadville, and I'm originally from Fairfax(grew up only about a mile or so from Mason).

However one thing I've been wondering about though,

Mason is only ranked Tier 3 in the National University category, which I find odd given many of it's programs are easily ranked 1st in the country or otherwise very highly rated like Economics or Law. While Allegheny is ranked Tier 1 in the national liberal arts college category?

This kind of puzzles and unsures me in someway with Mason, however then again they are stacking it up with older, established Ivy League and State Ivy schools.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 12:00:40 PM »

Yeah that's what I hear about Meadville, and I'm originally from Fairfax(grew up only about a mile or so from Mason).

However one thing I've been wondering about though,

Mason is only ranked Tier 3 in the National University category, which I find odd given many of it's programs are easily ranked 1st in the country or otherwise very highly rated like Economics or Law. While Allegheny is ranked Tier 1 in the national liberal arts college category?

This kind of puzzles and unsures me in someway  with Mason, however then again they are stacking it up with older, established Ivy League and State Ivy schools.

* U.S. News & World Report ranked George Mason University #1 in its new category of "Up-and-coming National Universities," 2008.[27]
    * The Systems Engineering and Operations Research Department is ranked #31 by U.S. News & World Report in 2009 for Best Engineering Schools in Industrial and Manufacturing.[28][non-primary source needed]
    * The School of Public Policy is ranked 1st in the nation[when?] for federally-funded public policy, public affairs, public administration and political science research.[29][non-primary source needed]
    * The university is ranked 58th in North America and 75th worldwide by the web-based Webometrics Ranking of World Universities[30]
    * 4th most diverse university in the nation, by the Princeton Review in 2008.[31]
    * 8th in the world political economy, 30th in public economics by econphd.net.[32][dead link]; As of 2008[update], the Southern Economic Journal ranks Mason economics as 3rd in Methodology and History of Economic Thought, 9th in General Economics and Teaching, 11th in Law and Economics, 25th in Public Economics and 25th in Microeconomics.[33]
    * As of 2009[update], the School of Law is ranked 41st in the nation by US News & World Report[34][35]
    * 51st in the nation graduate Political Science for 2009 by US News & World Report [36]
    * 64th in the nation graduate History program for 2009 by US News & World Report[37]
    * 45th in the nation graduate Public Affairs program for 2008 by US News & World Report[38]
    * 63rd in the nation graduate Nursing program for 2007 by US News & World Report[39]
    * 65th in the nation graduate Education program for 2008 by US News & World Report[40]
    * 74th in the 2009 list of "Best Undergraduate Business Programs" by U.S. News & World Report[41]
    * 152nd in the nation graduate Biological Sciences programs by US News & World Report in 2007[42]
    * 6th in the nation[when?] graduate Industrial/Organizational Psychology doctoral program. US News and World Report[43][non-primary source needed]
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »

Kevin, you strike me as somebody who would do be better in a smaller liberal arts school.  Go to Allegheny.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 12:06:23 PM »

I know this might sound trivial to some but you will be up to your ass, literally, in snow and you'll freeze your ass off.

Meadville gets it WORSE than the city of Erie, since the water off of the lake gets carried and dumped right on Meadville, by the prevailing weather there.......
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 12:12:05 PM »

I know this might sound trivial to some but you will be up to your ass, literally, in snow and you'll freeze your ass off.

Meadville gets it WORSE than the city of Erie, since the water off of the lake gets carried and dumped right on Meadville, by the prevailing weather there.......

That's what I hear,

So, I better kiss off going home on Winter break or the winter months in general then if I end up going there.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 06:33:11 PM »

Kevin, you strike me as somebody who would do be better in a smaller liberal arts school.  Go to Allegheny.

Just curious what makes you say that?

You can tell my by pm if you prefer
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 06:40:23 PM »

Smaller colleges provide better individual attention and community to its students while at the same time being more rigorous and challenging to the student.  If you start to slide, a university would let you be forgotten and fail.  Small colleges have reputations to uphold and value each student.

At least that's what I see when I compare the two styles.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 06:48:01 PM »

Congrats again.

I would agree with King that smaller schools are better, though I don't know much about these particular schools, nor what your personal preference might be.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 06:56:15 PM »

I've yet again been accepted to another college as a transfer.

Googling to see if "I've been yet again" is actually a phrase, this thread turns up as the #1 result

fwiw Smiley
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 08:31:06 PM »

Smaller colleges provide better individual attention and community to its students while at the same time being more rigorous and challenging to the student.  If you start to slide, a university would let you be forgotten and fail.  Small colleges have reputations to uphold and value each student.

At least that's what I see when I compare the two styles.

That's one of the things weighing on my mind definitely, as well as the fact that I will be closer to home which will make me more complicit academically.

However, then again academically and opportunity wise a large research school would offer a very large range of courses and oppertunites to me, that I may not get at a traditional liberal arts school. In addition the school in question George Mason, price is much more reasonable to my parents and is reputation and academics in the Washington area are considered by many to only be behind Georgetown and UVA.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 08:48:41 PM »

George Mason outranks American U and George Washington? If so, news to me, but congrats nonetheless. However, it's important to decide whether you want a small school or a bigger one. There's no need to echo what has already been said about their differences.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 09:55:14 PM »

George Mason outranks American U and George Washington? If so, news to me, but congrats nonetheless. However, it's important to decide whether you want a small school or a bigger one. There's no need to echo what has already been said about their differences.

Well at least in the areas of law, economics, and some other programs, however it is widely regarded as the place to go now and days in the area.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies