If another great depression happened within in this decade.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:45:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  If another great depression happened within in this decade.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: If another great depression happened within in this decade.  (Read 6449 times)
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2010, 04:15:02 PM »
« edited: June 12, 2010, 04:17:18 PM by HoffmanJohn »

would the united states become more liberal or conservative? Would the spirt of eugene debs,William Jennings Bryan, and bill haywood be revitalized? or would the united states of america simply turn into a fascist dictatorship where tea party members have bullied their way into power?

Before anyone answers i think it would be important read this:
http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-hitlerdemo.htm

Hitler never had more than 37 percent of the popular vote in the honest elections that occurred before he became Chancellor. And the opposition among the 63 percent against him was generally quite strong. Hitler therefore would have never seen the light of day had the German Republic been truly democratic. Unfortunately, its otherwise sound constitution contained a few fatal flaws. The German leaders also had a weak devotion to democracy, and some were actively plotting to overthrow it. Hitler furthermore enjoyed an almost unbroken string of luck in coming to power. He benefited greatly from the Great Depression, the half-senility of the president, the incompetence of his opposition, and the appearance of an unnecessary backroom deal just as the Nazis were starting to lose popular appeal and votes.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »

The fascist state under Barack Obama will expand for a time, but eventually collapse and give way to freedom. Things will get worse, but then they will get better.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 04:21:28 PM »

in the event of socioeconomic collapse that is caused by a lack of supply you have mad max, but when it occurs because of a lack of demand it will probably cause civilians to start re-claiming the land, factories, and various idle resources.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »

It would depend who was in power when the depression hit.

And the Tea Partiers aren't fascist.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 05:52:24 PM »

I don't use the word lightly....but they're certainly the closest to a fascist movement the U.S. has had in a long time.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »

I don't use the word lightly....but they're certainly the closest to a fascist movement the U.S. has had in a long time.

Misleading language, as they are not even remotely close despite being the "closest".

And by the way (not directed at you specifically, Franzl), fascism is not necessarily right-wing. Hitler nationalized industry after all.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 06:05:19 PM »

Misleading language, as they are not even remotely close despite being the "closest".

And by the way (not directed at you specifically, Franzl), fascism is not necessarily right-wing. Hitler nationalized industry after all.

And actively persecuted trade unions. What's your point?
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 06:09:43 PM »

Yeah they're so fascistic the Libertarian Party promoted them from the beginning.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 06:15:26 PM »

And actively persecuted trade unions. What's your point?

Persecuting Trade Unions and Nationalizing Industry are both characteristics of Authoritarian governments of all shapes, sizes and colors, not necessarily 'right-wing' or 'left-wing.'
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 06:33:14 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2010, 06:39:31 PM by the other side of summer »

I think draconian austerity and privatization will be imposed. Maybe after the Government/Fed have attempted even more stimulus and/or seized control of more companies, but I think it'll happen eventually. In other words Naomi Klein will actually be right for once.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 06:45:54 PM »

The Nazi regime actually had excellent relations with large parts of German industry, fwiw. IG Farben is the best known (for obvious reasons), but there were others. Just getting that in before an ill-informed debate breaks out Smiley
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 06:50:52 PM »

The Nazi regime actually had excellent relations with large parts of German industry, fwiw. IG Farben is the best known (for obvious reasons), but there were others. Just getting that in before an ill-informed debate breaks out Smiley

People like Hjalmar Schacht would never have allowed them to get so far otherwise...
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 07:08:59 PM »

Sorry, then you have no clue what fascism is.

Barack Obama and the current U.S. regime is the "closest to a fascist movement the U.S. has had in a long time."

Not ordinary people protesting out-of-control deficit spending. Roll Eyes
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 07:10:08 PM »

Barack Obama and the current U.S. regime is the "closest to a fascist movement the U.S. has had in a long time."

lol
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 07:16:50 PM »

lol

Yeah, I'm glad you've looked back and realized you can laugh at yourself now; that was a pretty LOLworthy comment on your part.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 07:25:42 PM »

Fascism is right-wing, correct?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 07:33:18 PM »

lol

Yeah, I'm glad you've looked back and realized you can laugh at yourself now; that was a pretty LOLworthy comment on your part.

Yes Libertas...I've realized that you're right about this (and almost everything else). I just can't compete with your intellect.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 07:34:41 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2010, 07:36:55 PM by Senator & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

Both of you are wrong.

Neither the Tea Party movement nor Obama are anything close to fascist, and I'd like Franzl and Libertas to please explain how the Tea Partiers and Obama are, respectively.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 07:35:13 PM »

Slashing spending (including the military budget), lowering taxes, paying down the debt, stopping corporate bailouts, bringing our troops home, restoring civil liberties, reducing the size and scope of government...these are planks right out of Mussolini!!!111
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 07:40:53 PM »

Both of you are wrong.

Neither the Tea Party movement nor Obama are anything close to fascist, and I'd like Franzl and Libertas to please explain how the Tea Partiers and Obama are, respectively.

I'm not saying the Tea Party's issues are fascist per se, I'm more concerned with the way the Tea Party does business and the rhetoric they use.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 07:43:19 PM »

Even still.  The closest some of them come to fascism might be a form of nationalism (and even that doesn't apply to most of the group, in my opinion), but that's certainly only a small part of fascism.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 07:46:36 PM »

Even still.  The closest some of them come to fascism might be a form of nationalism (and even that doesn't apply to most of the group, in my opinion), but that's certainly only a small part of fascism.

Their lack of repect for the rule of law is very disturbing, IMO.

I'm thinking of demanding that terror suspects be denied their constitutional rights, for example....and especially using that to "protect America".
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 07:47:26 PM »

Both of you are wrong.

The Obama regime's entire economic philosophy is rooted in fascism, i.e., private ownership, public control. We have ongoing wars and insane military spending, we have nationalized corporations, we have an expanding leviathan state. Obama rose to power on an astroturf-generated cult of personality funded by the Wall Street banks, which coincidentally are also corporations now attached closely to the fascist regime in Washington.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 07:48:10 PM »

but that's certainly only a small part of fascism.

Oi, I'd disagree with you there. There are many different shades of Fascism, but I'd argue that the one thing that they all have in common is nationalism, albeit of a more extreme variety.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »

Even still.  The closest some of them come to fascism might be a form of nationalism (and even that doesn't apply to most of the group, in my opinion), but that's certainly only a small part of fascism.

Their lack of repect for the rule of law is very disturbing, IMO.

I'm thinking of demanding that terror suspects be denied their constitutional rights, for example....and especially using that to "protect America".

Where are Tea Partiers addressing treatment of terror suspects?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies