Pentagon ‘Hunting’ WikiLeaks Founder
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 03:39:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pentagon ‘Hunting’ WikiLeaks Founder  (Read 2117 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2010, 04:05:35 PM »

Julian Assange's Voyage From Thorn in Pentagon's Side to 'Threat to National Security'

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 04:30:26 PM »

well he can always chill at my spot.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 05:57:59 PM »

So you, and the website put 'Hunting' in quotes, yet that word is nowhere in the article... so, where did the word come from?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 07:05:50 PM »

So you, and the website put 'Hunting' in quotes, yet that word is nowhere in the article... so, where did the word come from?

Um, that wording is being used is used by numerous sources; not that it matters since it accurately describes what the Pentagram is doing.

Pentagon 'hunting Wikileaks founder over Iraq video'
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:17:47 PM »

Um, that wording is being used is used by numerous sources; not that it matters since it accurately describes what the Pentagram is doing.

You're right - let's just put things in quotes and attribute them to people and not care if they actually said them.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 07:19:27 PM »

You're right - let's just put things in quotes and attribute them to people and not care if they actually said them.

So bring it up with the Telegraph. This is a non-issue.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 07:20:50 PM »

And actually, it doesn't describe what they're doing.  They want to "find" him is all I've seen in the articles; whereas "hunting" implies they want to do him harm after they find him.

It isn't a non-issue, because you're posting it here acting like it's a fact.

"Hunting" has certain implications, since "The Pentagon wants to find WikiLeaks Founder" isn't really an interesting news story.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 07:37:05 PM »

And actually, it doesn't describe what they're doing.  They want to "find" him is all I've seen in the articles; whereas "hunting" implies they want to do him harm after they find him.

"Hunting" has certain implications, since "The Pentagon wants to find WikiLeaks Founder" isn't really an interesting news story.

Uh yeah, the Pentagram wants to "find" him just for fun and once they find him they're just going to let him go...this is what you believe?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 07:40:12 PM »

And actually, it doesn't describe what they're doing.  They want to "find" him is all I've seen in the articles; whereas "hunting" implies they want to do him harm after they find him.

Uh yeah, the Pentagram wants to "find" him just for fun and once they find him they're just going to let him go...this is what you believe?

I'm sure they want to find him and interrogate and talk to him about what all information he's received - some of which I'm sure is classified.

But you have no more knowledge of what the Pentagon will do than any other normal American, and neither do the people who wrote the articles you've cited.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 07:42:13 PM »

I'm sure they want to find him and interrogate and talk to him about what all information he's received - some of which I'm sure is classified.

But you have no more knowledge of what the Pentagon will do than any other normal American, and neither do the people who wrote the articles you've cited.

We know, based on past experience, that government bureaucracies, especially the Pentagram, will do whatever it can to silence and punish whistleblowers who expose its vile deeds.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »

But you have no proof that any of that is happening here.  In fact, if the Pentagon wanted to silence him, why would they make it known that they want to find him?  Why wouldn't they simply get rid of him quietly?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 07:54:27 PM »

But you have no proof that any of that is happening here.  In fact, if the Pentagon wanted to silence him, why would they make it known that they want to find him?  Why wouldn't they simply get rid of him quietly?

It was first reported here.

People far more experienced than you or I on these issues have stated clearly that Assange is in real danger now.

Daniel Ellsberg: Wikileaks' Julian Assange "in Danger"

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 07:59:12 PM »

Well, I'm glad to see that we're using a publication who has shown it's commitment to high standards in the past.

This entire discussion is pure speculation from a source who has proven to be less than reliable in the past.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 08:56:55 PM »

Well, I'm glad to see that we're using a publication who has shown it's commitment to high standards in the past.

This entire discussion is pure speculation from a source who has proven to be less than reliable in the past.

Daniel Ellsberg is a veteran whistleblower who released the Pentagon Papers that exposed embarrassing truths about the lying regimes of Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon. Having made enemies like those, I think Ellsberg is quite aware firsthand of the dangers Assange might be in for embarrassing the current regime.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 08:58:57 PM »

Daniel Ellsberg is a veteran whistleblower who released the Pentagon Papers that exposed embarrassing truths about the lying regimes of Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon. Having made enemies like those, I think Ellsberg is quite aware firsthand of the dangers Assange might be in for embarrassing the current regime.

But there is no proof of any truth behind what Ellsberg has said in this instance.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 10:13:42 PM »

But there is no proof of any truth behind what Ellsberg has said in this instance.

So you are saying Ellsberg is a liar?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 10:49:16 PM »

No.  I'm saying that we have no second source to confirm whether or not he is telling the truth.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 11:33:46 PM »

No.  I'm saying that we have no second source to confirm whether or not he is telling the truth.

So why do we assume that what he is saying must be wrong? You know in many cases, there is no "second source" to verify when one courageous whistle-blower stands up.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 11:37:41 PM »

So why do we assume that what he is saying must be wrong? You know in many cases, there is no "second source" to verify when one courageous whistle-blower stands up.

I'm not assuming that.  I'm merely pointing out that we shouldn't be stating these things as facts when we don't know.  We shouldn't be putting quotes around words without attributing those quotes to anybody.

Just because I'm questioning the validity of a claim doesn't mean I'm assuming it's wrong.

You're right that in many cases there are only single sources for whistle-blower cases, but often, those whistle-blowers have some form of evidence to back up there claims.  So far, all I've seen is talk, no memos, no e-mails, no evidence.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 11:44:04 PM »

I'm not assuming that.  I'm merely pointing out that we shouldn't be stating these things as facts when we don't know.  We shouldn't be putting quotes around words without attributing those quotes to anybody.
The quoted word on Anti-War.com was attributed to the Telegraph. As I said, you should contact them if you take issue with their headline.

They've been after Assange before. For example, when they held him on dubious charges at the airport a month or so ago.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 11:49:31 PM »

The quoted word on Anti-War.com was attributed to the Telegraph. As I said, you should contact them if you take issue with their headline.
But you quoted it and used it too.  Are you telling me that you normally just accept everything the media says as fact without questioning it?

They've been after Assange before. For example, when they held him on dubious charges at the airport a month or so ago.
[/quote]

That has no relevance to the accuracy of what he's saying now.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 12:02:06 AM »

But you quoted it and used it too.  Are you telling me that you normally just accept everything the media says as fact without questioning it?

No, I was merely posting a headline of an article from a mainstream media outlet without editorializing in the title...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 12:03:27 AM »

But you were posting the article as if you yourself believed the article (and thus also the tile, which is part of the article).  Or are you saying that you're now questioning the validity of the article?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 12:05:49 AM »

But you were posting the article as if you yourself believed the article (and thus also the tile, which is part of the article).  Or are you saying that you're now questioning the validity of the article?

No, I believe the article and the title. Not because the media told me, but because I have weighed the points on both sides and concluded that it is likely the truth.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 12:07:23 AM »

No, I believe the article and the title. Not because the media told me, but because I have weighed the points on both sides and concluded that it is likely the truth.

So if it's truth that you believe, who do you believe used the word "Hunting"?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies