JCP Convention Summer 2010: 8/19 Endorsements posted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:26:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  JCP Convention Summer 2010: 8/19 Endorsements posted
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Author Topic: JCP Convention Summer 2010: 8/19 Endorsements posted  (Read 31063 times)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2010, 10:31:58 PM »

Welcome aboard, ArchangelZero!  Cheesy

Yes, we definitely need to create some by-laws.  This informal lack of organization is no longer working.

I got a little hot under the collar the other day and stormed off in a huff.  That was immature on my part, and after cooling off at the office that day, I came back.  In so doing, I was under the impression that Bgwah would take my proposal seriously.  My mistake- he has not done so.  My call for an end to the "automatic endorsement" policy has continued to be ignored, despite being agreed with by several other members.

Bgwah has now posted what "by-laws" we have.  Note that nowhere in these skimpy rules is there any mention of automatic endorsements for party members.  This is not one of our "rules".  According to Bgwah, this practice is based upon "precedent".  Well, it is precedent that he created.  And he is right, I did not complain when I was the beneficiary.  But I am complaining now.

Polls will open shortly.  Unfortunately, the entire endorsement process this party has undertaken is a meaningless sham that cannot accurately reflect the opinions of this party's membership.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2010, 03:50:09 AM »

What I said is that once endorsements and the election end, we should keep the convention going to vote on it, and just go ahead and create a full set of bylaws while were at it. I don't really feel like that means I'm ignoring you...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2010, 04:17:36 AM »

ENDORSEMENTS

President:
1) Purple State/Marokai Blue

Mideast Senator
1) Boris
2) Al
3) Franzl
4) Inks

Midwest Senator
1) Hans

Northeast Senator
1) Eraserhead

Pacific Senator
1) Bgwah
2) Xahar

Southeast Senator
1) gporter

math:
-Purple State wins with 9/11. No other candidate is preferenced by a majority.
-Eraserhead is unanimously endorsed. Dallasfan only receives 2nd preferences from 2/11.
-Hawkeye dropped out. Boris is endorsed for first preference. Al gets 6/11 of remaining preferences and is endorsed for 2nd pref. Franzl gets 7/11 of remaining and is endorsed for third. Inks gets 6/11 of remaining and is endorsed for fourth.
-Hans is endorsed for MW Senator. Sven only recieves 4/11 of remaining prefernces.
-Bgwah is endorsed for Pacific Senator. With 7/11 of second preferences, Xahar receives endorsement for second pref. Ogis only receives preferences from 4/11.
-gporter is endorsed for the SE seat. NCYankee only receives 2/11 of remaining preferences.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2010, 06:59:12 AM »

ENDORSEMENTS

President:
1) Purple State/Marokai Blue

Mideast Senator
1) Boris
2) Al
3) Franzl
4) Inks

Midwest Senator
1) Hans

Northeast Senator
1) Eraserhead

Pacific Senator
1) Bgwah
2) Xahar

Southeast Senator
1) gporter

math:
-Purple State wins with 9/11. No other candidate is preferenced by a majority.
-Eraserhead is unanimously endorsed. Dallasfan only receives 2nd preferences from 2/11.
-Hawkeye dropped out. Boris is endorsed for first preference. Al gets 6/11 of remaining preferences and is endorsed for 2nd pref. Franzl gets 7/11 of remaining and is endorsed for third. Inks gets 6/11 of remaining and is endorsed for fourth.
-Hans is endorsed for MW Senator. Sven only recieves 4/11 of remaining prefernces.
-Bgwah is endorsed for Pacific Senator. With 7/11 of second preferences, Xahar receives endorsement for second pref. Ogis only receives preferences from 4/11.
-gporter is endorsed for the SE seat. NCYankee only receives 2/11 of remaining preferences.

I'm sorry, but only Mayor Rudy can pull that one off.

All joking aside, thank you very much for the endorsement. Now make sure to rock the vote!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2010, 06:24:17 PM »

So, since the elections are over, can we continue, as Bgwah promised or not?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2010, 08:37:36 PM »

Of course! Spew your ideas, please. In particular we have the endorsement process--numerous members have expressed displeasure with it. How would you like endorsements to work instead?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »

I would like to see a little more formal organization.  Actual written by-laws, with procedures for conventions, times that they will take place, and elected party officials.  We are the largest party so let's act like it.

I personally will not have the time this week to actually write these by-laws, however......  Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2010, 01:08:36 AM »

I would like to see a little more formal organization.  Actual written by-laws, with procedures for conventions, times that they will take place, and elected party officials.  We are the largest party so let's act like it.

I personally will not have the time this week to actually write these by-laws, however......  Tongue

Well, I can write a draft in time, but I want some feedback first.

Major issues I want input for:

Endorsements
-If we don't have automatic endorsements going to party members, what will we have then? A simple FPTP vote? Preferential voting??  What about the at-large Senate elections? Endorsing one particular person in such races doesn't make sense.

Convention Times
-I try to start the convention early in the month, and have the endorsements up right before the election starts. We can formalize this a bit, but I think having some flexibility is good.

Party Elections
-I would say having four month terms elected during the conventions preceding presidential elections makes most sense. Just my opinion.

New/amending bylaws
-Would we require someone to propose something early in the convention, and have a number of signatures (say, three?) to get a vote on it?

Kicking out members
-I personally don't like this idea at all, but it might come up. I would want it to be difficult to remove someone from the party, something like a super majority to make it happen.

I want member opinions on some of the mentioned issues... and if you think of anything else, please speak up.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2010, 02:20:42 PM »

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm going to be largely out of commission for at least the rest of this week. I hope this thread is still active then as I very much hope to contribute to these needed reforms.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2010, 04:02:55 PM »

Guys, I'd like to say that I have no problems with bgwah's leadership itself. After all he builded a party which became the strongest power in Atlasia and continues to be one for years.

I may have problem with some details. Esspecially endorsement settings. Naturally JCP should support it's members running for office, but there are, well, special cases.

Why won't we introduce a primaries?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2010, 05:38:55 PM »

For party office or national/state?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2010, 05:54:34 PM »

Let see there are 2 JCP-er interested in running for Governor/Lt. Governor/Regional Senators. So they should run in primary (where all registered JCP-er in region votes) to determine, who'll be a nominee with official party backing.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2010, 06:41:12 PM »

Let see there are 2 JCP-er interested in running for Governor/Lt. Governor/Regional Senators. So they should run in primary (where all registered JCP-er in region votes) to determine, who'll be a nominee with official party backing.

What if there is only one JCP candidate running?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2010, 06:43:16 PM »

Meh, maybe. I think some of the nuts and bolts party organization is far more important to the JCP's continued health. Perhaps part of the reforms could include allowing for not automatically endorsing anyone in the JCP who announces for a seat.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2010, 06:45:46 PM »

Meh, maybe.

Primary actually would make game more interesting.

And as of Bgwah question, just one JCP-er running is in most of the cases an easy situation. But there are special cases.

How to determine which case is, um, special and how to handle them?

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2010, 07:00:04 PM »

Meh, maybe.

And as of Bgwah question, just one JCP-er running is in most of the cases an easy situation. But there are special cases.

True, but they'd probably only be needed in a rare 2 candidates running for one slot situation.

Trust me, I'm not opposed to primaries when they're needed---beats the heck out of back room bosses picking the candidates---but I just want us to focus on party organization foremost.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2010, 07:03:13 PM »

I think there should be the creation of additional party positions (but please do NOT misinterpet that as criticism of your work, Bgwah Smiley). Party Secretary and Party Whip come to mind at a minimum. I have specific ideas for the role of each. Party Vice Chair may be helpful only to the extent Bgwah wants to delegate work. Cheesy
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2010, 07:05:05 PM »

Meh, maybe.

True, but they'd probably only be needed in a rare 2 candidates running for one slot situation.

So it would be option ONLY in that cases.

Isn't that obvious?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2010, 07:08:30 PM »

Meh, maybe.

So it would be option ONLY in that cases.

Isn't that obvious?

Uh, yeah. Sorry for the Captain Obvious moment.

That does it. My brain is fried and re-fried. I'm leaving the office for home and Yuengling Porter.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2010, 07:10:56 PM »

So technically national/state?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2010, 07:12:35 PM »

What if JCP candidates automatically receive an endorsement, but there was a process in place that would allow certain candidates to be un-endorsed? Say, someone petitions to have him unendorsed, it has to be signed by x number of people, and there is a vote on it. Or something.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2010, 07:18:51 PM »

What if JCP candidates automatically receive an endorsement, but there was a process in place that would allow certain candidates to be un-endorsed? Say, someone petitions to have him unendorsed, it has to be signed by x number of people, and there is a vote on it. Or something.

Very good IMO.

But I'd still request use primary if we have more than one candidate for one certain position regionwide.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2010, 08:13:45 PM »

Hi, Hi, everyone! Smiley As far as Bylaws go, I think we need a Vice Chair and I like Bgwah's idea about endorsements. I'd also probably support a primary. Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2010, 08:19:45 PM »

The problem with a primary system is that it's pretty much impossible to get the results of a primary to stick unless people decide themselves to drop out if they lose.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2010, 08:21:04 PM »

The problem with a primary system is that it's pretty much impossible to get the results of a primary to stick unless people decide themselves to drop out if they lose.

That's true. Well darn... Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies