Germany: Head of state steps down
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:16:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Germany: Head of state steps down
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Germany: Head of state steps down  (Read 3504 times)
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2010, 08:05:56 AM »

A major political surprise in my country: Federal President Horst Köhler stands down from office.

He stated that the reason is his controversial statement on the German engagement in Afghanistan. He feels to be unfairly treated.
Last week, he said something about that a country that relies on exports as much as Germany does, sometimes has to defend its economic interests by military action (more or less), and a few newspapers, especially the SPIEGEL, jumped on it.

It's a non-reason of course, the next hours and days will tell what's really behind this.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 10:59:28 AM »

Yeah, he basically (though not literally) admitted that the German involvement in Afghanistan is blatantly unconstitutional. Without having intended to admit anything of the kind.

But that's obviously not the real reason for the resignation.
Maybe he was just fed up with the job? Huh

No FRG President has ever resigned before. Nor even died in office. I have no clue how quickly a successor has to be elected.
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 11:07:01 AM »

Definitely. He really was a bad president in conclusion, especially since his reelection. And not (just) because he's a conservative.

I have no clue how quickly a successor has to be elected.

30 days from now. So the parties will have to hurry up.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 03:36:27 PM »

Well congratulations lefties, you just pushed one of the best men in Berlin out.
Be very proud.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 05:57:45 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2010, 06:20:37 PM by Old Europe »

Well congratulations lefties, you just pushed one of the best men in Berlin out.
Be very proud.

The idea that a president resigns just because he was criticized for a thing he said in an interview seems pretty far-fetched. And if it actually was the reason, it is a pretty excessive reaction to a fairly minor incident. The first resignation of a German president happened over this ?? Other presidents commit felonies before they resign.

It's a reasonable assumption that Köhler wanted to go for some time and the Afghanistan incident finally offered him a somewhat legitimate way out. Because presidents can't resign just because they don't feel like it anymore. There has to be reason, officially anyway.

In a way, it reminds a bit of the 1974 resignation of Willy Brandt. Brandt could have survived the Guillaume affair... if he had wanted to.

Köhler probably made a mistake when he decided to run for re-election last year.
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 11:39:50 PM »

Be very proud.

If Köhler thought that the federal president was something like an inerrable monarch who must not be criticized, then he didn't understand how our Republic works, and it was high time he stepped down. 
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 11:50:15 PM »

If he actually resigned due to this (which I doubt), then I think he way overreacted. He shoudl have just apologized and ended this controversy. If he just wanted to leave the job, then he should have waited until the next Presidential elections and then left, because doing so otherwise (when he is in good health) would be a betrayal of the people's trust in him.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 02:39:03 AM »

Be very proud.

If Köhler thought that the federal president was something like an inerrable monarch who must not be criticized, then he didn't understand how our Republic works, and it was high time he stepped down. 

It's a pretty clear unwritten rule that the President not be criticized. I don't think that's right....but it's the way it's been done for decades.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 04:43:29 AM »

Be very proud.

It's a pretty clear unwritten rule that the President not be criticized. I don't think that's right....but it's the way it's been done for decades.

As president, Heinrich Lübke came under fire for his supposed involvment in the buildung of forced labour camps during WWII. While it is a far more legitimate reason to criticize a president, it proves that criticism is not impossible per se.
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 03:14:28 PM »

To me it seems mr Kohler was just tired of it and this was a good excuse to step down.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 10:43:21 PM »

Hopefully Angela Merkel doesn't become Fuhrer now.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 12:35:28 AM »

The new Presidential election has been set for June 30 by Norbert Lammert (CDU), President of the Parliament. June 30 will be a game-less day in the South Africa Football World Championship and therefore he chose this date to assure full participation of the electoral college.

CDU/CSU/FDP will have at least 645 electoral votes out of 1244 on the day of the election.

Popular Minister of Labour and good friend of Angela Merkel, Ursula von der Leyen (CDU), is now the most likely candidate to succeed Köhler.

She´s also acceptable for SPD members because of her involvement to create more kindergarden spots when she was family minister in the previous grand coalition.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/0,1518,698110,00.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 12:48:53 AM »

I think she´d be OK, but I really don´t like the fact that she censored Rammstein songs ...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 02:10:05 AM »

Don't tell me you like Ramstein Tender?? (Not that that's a reason to censor them Smiley))

At any rate, I don't like the idea of any government minister for President....and I don't particularly like von der Leyen.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 02:28:54 AM »

Has Germany had a female president before?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 02:33:57 AM »

Has Germany had a female president before?

Nope.
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 03:26:17 AM »

Not that I had any problem with a female president in general, but really: What qualifies von der Leyen except of being a woman?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 05:08:34 AM »

Not that I had any problem with a female president in general, but really: What qualifies von der Leyen except of being a woman?

Nothing, affirmative action! Just as Schwan argued in the election last year.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 10:30:12 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2010, 10:55:50 AM by Old Europe »

Oh noes, not Zensursula! Horrible choice. And far from being a non-partisan one. I want Köhler back. Tongue

Unwavering loyalty to Angela Merkel? Merkel likes to have people she can trust in key positions. On the other hand, "disloyal" people get quickly stabbed in the back... remember what happened to Friedrich Merz. And her more liberal views on family issues make her acceptable to a broader spectrum than just the CDU base. That is if you don't mind censorship.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 10:55:14 AM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 01:15:53 PM »

I don't get Koehler decision. Why he's stepping down after one controversial statement. Hell, remember Heinrich Luebke...

Beside, on the positive side, President like Heinemann, Heuss, Rau, Weizacker adressed controversial issues frequently.

Nothing, affirmative action! Just as Schwan argued in the election last year.

What qualifications the Federal President needs anyway? Roll Eyes

Heh, anyway, now you German know how it is to not have a President Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 01:19:49 PM »

Never expected such thing to happen. Really weird.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 01:38:34 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2010, 01:40:57 PM by Old Europe »

What qualifications the Federal President needs anyway? Roll Eyes

Being a German citizen of 40 years age or older. Tongue

This actually rules out more popular picks like Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg or Lena Meyer-Landrut.

Heh, anyway, now you German know how it is to not have a President Tongue

Since I very much prefer Jens Böhrnsen over Ursula von der Leyen as head of state, I'm gonna enjoy the president-less time as long as it lasts.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 01:47:39 PM »

On the other hand, "disloyal" people get quickly stabbed in the back... remember what happened to Friedrich Merz.
Or Horst Köhler, it seems.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 02:45:05 PM »

Hopefully Angela Merkel doesn't become Fuhrer now.

Epic fail.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies