Can Fiorina be stopped?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:24:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Can Fiorina be stopped?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Can Fiorina be stopped?  (Read 5756 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2010, 08:48:54 PM »

What are California Republicans smoking? They by the crap she is spewing on the airwaves about Campbell being a closet liberal and her so called success as a CEO? Is there any way for Campbell to turn this race around?
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »

I still predict Fiorina will go down on the grounds that she's even more stupid than Boxer.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 08:51:25 PM »

Campbell isn't a "closet" liberal, though. And anyone with common sense knows that.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 08:55:33 PM »

Yes:

Attack her for her substandard record on gun rights.

Obviously California cares passionately about gun rights (I grew up and spent most of my life in rural California).
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 08:57:15 PM »

She could be stopped by DeVore.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 09:03:16 PM »

He would be an even worse candidate.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 09:04:39 PM »

Yes, Barbara Boxer will stop her.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 09:08:39 PM »

Only because he wouldn't be able to self-fund.  If DeVore had Carly's money, he'd be a far better candidate, even if he'd lose by a substantial margin
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 01:13:50 AM »

As I mentioned on another thread, I sent Campbell a $500 contribution. What I did not say is that when I made the contribution on his website,  I sent him a personal note. Tonight I received a reply back from the man himself. Among other things, Tom said that he did not recall that he was smarter than I was. Tongue

As I said, and say again, Campbell is a fundamentally decent human being. I like him, and more importantly, I trust him.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 01:23:36 AM »

As I said, and say again, Campbell is a fundamentally decent human being. I like him, and more importantly, I trust him.

That's exactly the problem in today's Republican party (if not in politics in general).
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 01:52:40 AM »

As I mentioned on another thread, I sent Campbell a $500 contribution. What I did not say is that when I made the contribution on his website,  I sent him a personal note. Tonight I received a reply back from the man himself. Among other things, Tom said that he did not recall that he was smarter than I was. Tongue

I watched one of Campbell's speeches and he's basically a more prominent version of you haha. Everything that he talked about in the speech is something that you would post on here. It was so odd. I have no idea how somebody like Campbell can still draw support in a Republican primary. Honestly, I wouldn't mind voting for him.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 02:38:43 AM »

I watched one of Campbell's speeches and he's basically a more prominent version of you haha. Everything that he talked about in the speech is something that you would post on here. It was so odd. I have no idea how somebody like Campbell can still draw support in a Republican primary. Honestly, I wouldn't mind voting for him.

The CAGOP has its share of crazies, but it's still much better than people give it credit for. To be honest, I wouldn't mind being a member of the Republican Party if the national party were more like the Californian party.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 08:43:56 AM »

As I mentioned on another thread, I sent Campbell a $500 contribution. What I did not say is that when I made the contribution on his website,  I sent him a personal note. Tonight I received a reply back from the man himself. Among other things, Tom said that he did not recall that he was smarter than I was. Tongue

The CAGOP has its share of crazies, but it's still much better than people give it credit for. To be honest, I wouldn't mind being a member of the Republican Party if the national party were more like the Californian party.

Huh?  What?  I saw that post last night and told myself that it would make more sense in the morning, but it doesn't.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 08:49:01 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2010, 08:53:59 AM by Lunar »

I don't disagree with you on him, I like the guy too and he's one of the most honest and practical people in public service.  But this is precisely the reason why CA Republicans will nominate a woman who embodies nothing resembling those qualities.  The CA GOP resembles kamikaze pilots more than anything else.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 09:08:09 AM »

As I said, and say again, Campbell is a fundamentally decent human being.

RINO!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 09:10:41 AM »

Honestly, if he were still running for governor, I would have a hard time not voting for the guy if I still lived in CA.

A decent human being in the Senate, however, isn't worth all that much, and I view Boxer as an important advocate on certain issues.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 11:20:14 AM »

That's exactly the problem in today's Republican party (if not in politics in general).
Republican voters believing that about their candidates?

Yeah, I agree. That is exactly what made Bush possible.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 12:14:03 PM »

Republican voters believing that about their candidates?

Yeah, I agree. That is exactly what made Bush possible.

I don't know if you're being facetious but that's not what I meant.

What I meant was that today's Republican voters want their candidates not to be decent human beings but rather vindictive, mean-spirited pricks like Inhoffe, Coburn, DeMint, Palin and Bachmann.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 12:18:40 PM »

I know it's not what you meant... but I stand by what I said anyways (though not in relation to Torie necessarily).
(Almost) all career politicians are basically assholes... and convincing yourself that the politician of your choice is a "nice, decent guy/lady" you'd want a beer with is as good a way as any to elect the most meanspirited and dumbest of the lot. And while all major party voters love that trap, Republicans seem to be among the worst in that respect.
And we saw exactly that effect, with Palin even more than Bush. (Bachmann is a different matter... probably different to imagine even for her own voters that she could be nice to anybody.)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 01:26:53 PM »

Lewis,  I happen to know Tom Campbell, personally. I knew him when he was not a public figure. He is not anything that you suggest. Some folks can actually be capable and nice and candid and honest, even a politician, although I know that pushes the limits of Newtonian psychics. Putting Dubya up in such a context was well, surprising of you.

Anyway, here is the the type of ad Boxer will be running over and over if Fiorina gets the GOP nomination. It won't be pretty.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 01:30:29 PM »

Lewis,  I happen to know Tom Campbell, personally. I knew him when he was not a public figure. He is not anything that you suggest. Some folks can actually be capable and nice and candid and honest, even a politician, although I know that pushes the limits of Newtonian psychics.
Yeah, it didn't really have anything to do with Campbell; although there are serious limits of where you can get without pushing a lot of better people aside in ways you don't want to know about.

Congressman is probably the highest where it's technically possible. (He won't be a Senator.)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 06:37:13 PM »

Huh?  What?  I saw that post last night and told myself that it would make more sense in the morning, but it doesn't.

Well if you figure that ~35% of California Republicans are reasonable, that's a pretty good rate. I'd gladly belong to a party with a sanity rate that high. Tongue
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 06:38:33 PM »

Huh?  What?  I saw that post last night and told myself that it would make more sense in the morning, but it doesn't.

Well if you figure that ~35% of California Republicans are reasonable, that's a pretty good rate. I'd gladly belong to a party with a sanity rate that high. Tongue

If he hadn't run for statewide office multiple times prior and racked up name ID, he'd be at 15%.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 06:41:23 PM »

If he hadn't run for statewide office multiple times prior and racked up name ID, he'd be at 15%.

I am not sure how that negates my point. As EMD said, it's quite impressive that a fairly substantial percentage of California Republicans are willing to vote to nominate someone with the views of Tom Campbell.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 07:01:47 PM »

You mean the demon-sheep views?  Well, this is all imo of course, his position is really based on the incompetence of his opponents and his name recognition more than anything else.

If you remember, Campbell was tragically forced out of the governor's race by two clowns, and is very challenged by two more clowns in this senate race.  And Campbell would have made a fantastic governor, while as Senator, he'll just be one quiet voice.  

I should say this: Campbell's email blasts are the only ones I get that speak to me like I have an IQ above 93.  That may actually speak ill of his campaign though.  Not sure, but it's interesting,
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies