Opinion of Ronald Reagan?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 02:30:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Ronald Reagan?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Ronald Reagan: HP or FF?
HP

FF

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Opinion of Ronald Reagan?  (Read 1522 times)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 03:38:10 AM »

Well to me Reagan was just a mouth piece for the Neo-cons that basically took over this nation for 20 of 28 years. He wasnt an overtly bright man, but he protrayed this image of nostalgic America which may have never even existed, and made people feel great about themselves. I mean he started exhibiting the first signs of alzeihmers in his first term, and it was obvious by the time he left office. I read somewhere that when cabinet meetings and NSC meeting were going on Reagan would have a huge jar of jelly beans putting them in smaller jars according to color, while his Cabinet and Bush would discuss what they were going to do.

Wow! I'm not sure where you read that but he was giving speeches including at the 1992 convention well into the 90's. That's wishful liberal thinking that he was like that while in office.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 08:10:58 AM »

The finest President in my lifetime.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 08:15:50 AM »

Agreed, we haven't had much better since I've been alive.

Carter
Reagan
Bush
Clinton
Bush
Stupid

Yep, Reagan outshines all of those.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 08:27:01 AM »

Agreed, we haven't had much better since I've been alive.

Carter
Reagan
Bush
Clinton
Bush
Stupid

Yep, Reagan outshines all of those.

Ha ha.....I was born in 1959 so I've had a few more Presidents on my list, but I still think none will come along who is better than the Gipper.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2010, 09:01:18 AM »

Well to me Reagan was just a mouth piece for the Neo-cons that basically took over this nation for 20 of 28 years. He wasnt an overtly bright man, but he protrayed this image of nostalgic America which may have never even existed, and made people feel great about themselves. I mean he started exhibiting the first signs of alzeihmers in his first term, and it was obvious by the time he left office. I read somewhere that when cabinet meetings and NSC meeting were going on Reagan would have a huge jar of jelly beans putting them in smaller jars according to color, while his Cabinet and Bush would discuss what they were going to do.

Wow! I'm not sure where you read that but he was giving speeches including at the 1992 convention well into the 90's. That's wishful liberal thinking that he was like that while in office.

Compare his speech at the 1992 convention to his speech at the 1981 convention. I'm sure you can see some difference in both the sharpness of his words, his delivery, even his reaction. Very halting delivery, slow paced, and kind of unaware of the audience's reacton.
He according to most accounts started having memory issues around the late 1980s, and he was unofficially diagnosed with it in 1992, underwent a battery of tests and was diagnosed officially in late 1993. I don't believe he came out with the fact that he had it until August 1994, but already he was pretty bad--For example only minutes before his speech at his birthday that February, he had forgotten completely where he was and why he was there and some of his friends were afraid his speech would be embarrassing for him.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2010, 12:00:07 PM »

FF
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2010, 12:04:21 PM »

His actions were appropriate for the time.  Unfortunately rabid conservatives think applying his actions to EVERY situation is a good idea.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2010, 12:07:52 PM »

Compare his speech at the 1992 convention to his speech at the 1981 convention. I'm sure you can see some difference in both the sharpness of his words, his delivery, even his reaction. Very halting delivery, slow paced, and kind of unaware of the audience's reacton.
He according to most accounts started having memory issues around the late 1980s, and he was unofficially diagnosed with it in 1992, underwent a battery of tests and was diagnosed officially in late 1993. I don't believe he came out with the fact that he had it until August 1994, but already he was pretty bad--For example only minutes before his speech at his birthday that February, he had forgotten completely where he was and why he was there and some of his friends were afraid his speech would be embarrassing for him.

It's called getting older. let's see he would've been 81.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 01:04:02 PM »

HP for being extremely fiscally iressponsible, for Iran-Contra, and for an economic policy which started to drastically increase income inequality in the U.S. and planted the seeds for the 2008 financial crisis to occur.

To be fair, the seeds were planted by Woodrow Wilson many decades earlier. Reagan just poured on lots of fertilizer.

I agree. The Fed and financial rederegulation both caused the 2008 financial crisis, but I still think that financial deregulation played a greater role in causing it.
cpeeks
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2010, 04:55:04 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2010, 04:58:48 PM by cpeeks »

Actually Derrick I am true conservative unlike you, who is Neo-con. I wish you would actually read what a conservative is, its people like you that made George Wallace say theres not a dimes worth of difference between the two parties and theres not,  but  moving right along Reagan was exhibiting major symptoms during the debates with Mondale. He forgot words, mispoke several times, couldnt finish sentences. In fact a Alzeihmers doctor who watched it said Reagan actually had moderate alzeihmers at that time.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2010, 04:59:07 PM »

A simplistic and deranged fantasist who lived in his own little universe... unfortunately he convinced many people that this universe was real and since then it has had many inhabitants.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies