Purple State and Marokai's BIG IDEA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:32:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Purple State and Marokai's BIG IDEA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Purple State and Marokai's BIG IDEA  (Read 8175 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 11:26:22 PM »

Maybe we should create a competing nation and have kind of a South/North Korea thing going. Tongue

THE NORTHEAST SHALL RISE AGAIN
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 11:28:32 PM »

The trouble with a total restart is that it kind of destroys what we've done so far. Instead of wiping the slate clean, perhaps we ought to consider buying a new slate.

Totally change the game? Interesting idea. Of course, I don't see this going anywhere, since most people enjoy (for some reason) the mindless, stale game that is Atlasia.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 11:49:44 PM »

Maybe consolidate all the regions into a single state, with one legislature?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 07:59:20 AM »

The trouble with a total restart is that it kind of destroys what we've done so far. Instead of wiping the slate clean, perhaps we ought to consider buying a new slate.

Totally change the game? Interesting idea. Of course, I don't see this going anywhere, since most people enjoy (for some reason) the mindless, stale game that is Atlasia.

No, what I mean is that we declare a Second Republic. Things passed under the First Republic would then take on the background role that American legislation pre-2004 has here.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 10:21:44 AM »

Maybe we should create a competing nation and have kind of a South/North Korea thing going. Tongue

Proposed that, went nowhere Tongue
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2010, 11:36:41 AM »

No, what I mean is that we declare a Second Republic. Things passed under the First Republic would then take on the background role that American legislation pre-2004 has here.

Oh, I see Tongue
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »

The idea is fundamentally sound - there are a few things I would like to still do a bit of work on in a Convention - much of it non-controversial. The present Article VIII, Section 2 needs a re-write though - you've kept too many of the old offices (SoFA!)

What you are seeing is a rough draft and input, especially from people such as yourself, will be especially valuable as we refine the document.

The key problem is that there is little to do anymore. What further legislation is there that can be passed? Unless we're to start from scratch, I don't see what can be done.

The key problem is that there is little to do anymore. What further legislation is there that can be passed? Unless we're to start from scratch, I don't see what can be done.

That would be the general goal, if people want it. IMO there comes a point where you have to do something to wipe the slate clean in any game, and I see this as a critical element for any sort of restart.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't think any should be excluded from being voided. Otherwise, all the interesting stuff, like the healthcare bill, will be carried over.

I should be clearer here. If I am elected and this process goes into effect, I would veto anything that keeps more than the most basic documents, such as elections process legislation, a consolidated CCJA, etc.

The goal is to reboot while avoiding a brief period of anarchy. But I absolutely agree that the appended legislation to keep some legislation should not include any issue-based laws.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2010, 09:54:09 PM »

Oh! This will end my voting and office-holding bans! Cheesy
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2010, 10:33:10 PM »

Provided the Senate and Region sections remain like they are, this has my full support. Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2010, 10:45:48 PM »

Provided the Senate and Region sections remain like they are, this has my full support. Smiley

Personally I'd actually like to double regional seats and expand the Senate to 15 (my personal view of course), but I'm very happy we have agreement room here. Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2010, 01:36:10 AM »

Personally I'd actually like to double regional seats and expand the Senate to 15 (my personal view of course), but I'm very happy we have agreement room here. Smiley

Would it be done by two-seat STV or United States-style? I would prefer the latter, though I will admit that I have a soft spot for the one-on-one race.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2010, 01:38:28 AM »

Would it be done by two-seat STV or United States-style? I would prefer the latter, though I will admit that I have a soft spot for the one-on-one race.

I guess in my hypothetical scenario it would be done by the usual STV system.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2010, 09:29:50 PM »

My intent was not to shake anything up too much with the initial draft. If some sort of near-universal consensus emerges on changes, I will gladly look at it, but the goal is to do a simple reboot without dramatically changing the game. The goal here is not to ram changes through, but to bring new life to the game.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 08:45:04 AM »

My intent was not to shake anything up too much with the initial draft. If some sort of near-universal consensus emerges on changes, I will gladly look at it, but the goal is to do a simple reboot without dramatically changing the game. The goal here is not to ram changes through, but to bring new life to the game.

Yes, something we desperately need to have.

I think its better to maintain the five to five balance that way neither over powers the other.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 04:48:42 PM »

So, what would the blank slate look like? The US 2010, 2008, 2004? Perhaps modified. For instance, would we still be in Iraq and Afghanistan?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 05:42:33 PM »

So, what would the blank slate look like? The US 2010, 2008, 2004? Perhaps modified. For instance, would we still be in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Ideally, I would like to start from scratch. If people think that some aspects of US law are important, they can write legislation to carry those particular pieces or groupings of legislation over, but I think it is a flawed idea to simply implant US law onto Atlasia. So to answer your question, it means US 1789.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 05:50:51 PM »

I don't see why U.S law should be in any proposed new 'backstory' and what we've done here over the past six years should be placed in the memory hole.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2010, 02:57:04 PM »

I would like this question answered, please.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2010, 03:38:27 PM »

Constitutional consolidation: The Constitution is now a patchwork of links to amendments that have huge impacts on the law. For veterans it may be navigable with some effort, but for a newer or less adept member it is nearly impossible. By putting the entire document in one place, and keeping it that way, we will ensure that amendments are not lost and the structural integrity of the game withstands the test of time.

Why do you need to be President to do this?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 04:01:14 PM »

The Constitutional Consolidation could and probably can happen before you get into office so that's gone. And I'm against a reboot so if that's a major part of your platform I won't be preferencing you anymore.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2010, 04:05:18 PM »

Maybe consolidate all the regions into a single state, with one legislature?

That's a terrible idea. If they want to polarize themselves, they'll do it, but I don't expect anyone to be in favor of that.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2010, 05:12:18 PM »

I don't see why U.S law should be in any proposed new 'backstory' and what we've done here over the past six years should be placed in the memory hole.

My previous answer was saying basically that. Atlasia will be Atlasia, a fresh country completely removed from any laws passed in the US. If someone likes a certain law in the US and decides to put it into legislation and it passes the Senate then that is fine, but I don't intend for there to be any "backstory."

Constitutional consolidation: The Constitution is now a patchwork of links to amendments that have huge impacts on the law. For veterans it may be navigable with some effort, but for a newer or less adept member it is nearly impossible. By putting the entire document in one place, and keeping it that way, we will ensure that amendments are not lost and the structural integrity of the game withstands the test of time.

I don't, but it isn't my only proposal. The presidency would also provide a bully pulpit to champion these ideas and rally popular support.

The Constitutional Consolidation could and probably can happen before you get into office so that's gone. And I'm against a reboot so if that's a major part of your platform I won't be preferencing you anymore.

I am sorry to hear that. I currently do not see any other way to bring renewed vitality to the game, but I am open to suggestions.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 05:31:17 PM »

I don't, but it isn't my only proposal. The presidency would also provide a bully pulpit to champion these ideas and rally popular support.

Will you personally do it yourself if you are elected?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 05:36:32 PM »

Will you personally do it yourself if you are elected?

Marokai and I already did it.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Third_Atlasian_Constitution_Draft
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 05:38:37 PM »

I don't intend for there to be any "backstory."

But why should everything we've done here be placed in the memory hole?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies