What rank does Obama have?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 10:20:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What rank does Obama have?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What rank does Obama have?  (Read 4940 times)
yougo1000
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:46:19 AM »

Like is he your 5th favorite President.

He is my 35th favorite.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 08:20:14 PM »

He is the worst person to ever live. He's last in everything.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 09:20:03 PM »

Sometimes I get the sense that you are one of those far left trolls that pretend to be conservative to discredit actual conservatives.  Because what you are saying is that Barack Obama is worse than Hitler, Stalin, and Mao.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 09:23:13 PM »

There are presidents I like and dislike, I don't rank favorites. If I were to rank him historically, were he to die today, he'd probably be somewhere between 30 and 35, edging just ahead of George W. Bush.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:47:52 PM »

I don't judge Presidents before their first term is up.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:53:19 PM »

He'd be 18th on my list, just ahead of Clinton.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 02:15:51 AM »

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 08:39:43 AM »

He is my 35th favorite.

Here are the top ones on my list:

1. Washington (defined what the Presidency is)
2. Lincoln
3. FDR
4. Jefferson
5. Theodore Roosevelt
6. Truman
7. Eisenhower

Bottom (W.H. Harrison ignored; Cleveland only once, Obama "incomplete"):

41. Buchanan
40. A. Johnson
39. Fillmore
38. Dubya
37. Harding
36. Coolidge
35. Grant

The first four are arguably impossible to outdo. Nobody will ever redefine the functions of the Presidency except to its harm. We may never go through the dangerous times associated with Lincoln of FDR again. There's no cheap land to buy anywhere that could expand America by the scale of the Louisiana Purchase.  Obama would have to be a major reformer of American life to be the new TR. He would need to put America through a one-hand-tied-behind-its-back (by necessity) war not of its choosing to be Truman. Eisenhower gets credit for the Interstate Highway System, for enforcing Supreme Court decisions on civil rights, and letting Senator Joseph McCarthy implode. Obama may admire Lincoln, but he surely doesn't want the destructiveness and cost of a Civil War.

The bottom? It's hard to see how anyone could do the damage that Buchanan did unless one were a pathologically-corrupt and dishonest person. Andrew Johnson was singularly unfit to be President. Pierce and Fillmore were the definitive non-entities as President except that Fillmore did some really-bad stuff. In my book, Coolidge gets culpability for enforcing reparations harshly against Germany to the effect that his behavior may have contributed to the rise of the Antichrist in Germany, and for doing nothing to mitigate the effects of a corrupt bubble economy that imploded on Herbert Hoover.

Still, Coolidge was above-board in his dealings with power and wasn't corrupt; Dubya was corrupt and allowed a coterie of power-hungry people to exercise power often in ways contrary to the Constitution.   Harding and Grant trusted the wrong people. 

So far I see more strengths than weaknesses in the Obama Presidency. Most of the characteristics that mark better-than average Presidents apply to him. He has a legislative agenda of major reforms, and so far he has been successful in getting them enacted. Fault them if you wish, but he will have a memorable Presidency. His strength as a speaker is strong -- he is at least as effective as Ronald Reagan at that. Foreign policy? He has caused fewer problems than he has solved. He has been scrupulous in the exercise of power. TARP may have been counter-intuitive to many, but it seems to have worked.

Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 01:11:21 PM »

good thinking ^^
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 01:12:13 PM »

I put Obama 42 or 43 for the record either just ahead of or behind Jimmy Carter.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 04:44:34 PM »

Sometimes I get the sense that you are one of those far left trolls that pretend to be conservative to discredit actual conservatives.  Because what you are saying is that Barack Obama is worse than Hitler, Stalin, and Mao.

sometimes..
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »

He is my 35th favorite.

Here are the top ones on my list:

1. Washington (defined what the Presidency is)
2. Lincoln
3. FDR
4. Jefferson
5. Theodore Roosevelt
6. Truman
7. Eisenhower

Bottom (W.H. Harrison ignored; Cleveland only once, Obama "incomplete"):

41. Buchanan
40. A. Johnson
39. Fillmore
38. Dubya
37. Harding
36. Coolidge
35. Grant

The first four are arguably impossible to outdo. Nobody will ever redefine the functions of the Presidency except to its harm. We may never go through the dangerous times associated with Lincoln of FDR again. There's no cheap land to buy anywhere that could expand America by the scale of the Louisiana Purchase.  Obama would have to be a major reformer of American life to be the new TR. He would need to put America through a one-hand-tied-behind-its-back (by necessity) war not of its choosing to be Truman. Eisenhower gets credit for the Interstate Highway System, for enforcing Supreme Court decisions on civil rights, and letting Senator Joseph McCarthy implode. Obama may admire Lincoln, but he surely doesn't want the destructiveness and cost of a Civil War.

The bottom? It's hard to see how anyone could do the damage that Buchanan did unless one were a pathologically-corrupt and dishonest person. Andrew Johnson was singularly unfit to be President. Pierce and Fillmore were the definitive non-entities as President except that Fillmore did some really-bad stuff. In my book, Coolidge gets culpability for enforcing reparations harshly against Germany to the effect that his behavior may have contributed to the rise of the Antichrist in Germany, and for doing nothing to mitigate the effects of a corrupt bubble economy that imploded on Herbert Hoover.

Still, Coolidge was above-board in his dealings with power and wasn't corrupt; Dubya was corrupt and allowed a coterie of power-hungry people to exercise power often in ways contrary to the Constitution.   Harding and Grant trusted the wrong people. 

So far I see more strengths than weaknesses in the Obama Presidency. Most of the characteristics that mark better-than average Presidents apply to him. He has a legislative agenda of major reforms, and so far he has been successful in getting them enacted. Fault them if you wish, but he will have a memorable Presidency. His strength as a speaker is strong -- he is at least as effective as Ronald Reagan at that. Foreign policy? He has caused fewer problems than he has solved. He has been scrupulous in the exercise of power. TARP may have been counter-intuitive to many, but it seems to have worked.

I agree with your top 7, and most of your bottom.  However, it's hard for me to see how George W. Bush is worse than Grant.  At least it can be said that most of the disasters of the Bush Presidency weren't of his doing, unlike Grant's terms.

WillK

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 09:16:59 AM »

I agree with your top 7, and most of your bottom.  However, it's hard for me to see how George W. Bush is worse than Grant.  At least it can be said that most of the disasters of the Bush Presidency weren't of his doing, unlike Grant's terms.

This doesn’t make sense to me.

Can you identify disasters of Grant’s term that were his own doing?

Also the Bush disasters seem to me to be of his doing.  For example, what Bush is criticized for regarding Katrina wasn’t that a hurricane happened but it was the way Bush responded to it.
WillK

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 09:19:48 AM »

There's no cheap land to buy anywhere that could expand America by the scale of the Louisiana Purchase. 
If this is your reason for putting Jefferson so high, why isnt Andrew Johnson in the top 10 for purchasing Alaska?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What really bad stuff did Fillmore do?

Haven’t all presidents at times trusted the wrong people?
jimsnaza
Rookie
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 10:07:10 AM »

1. Washington
2. Lincoln
3. FDR
4. Teddy Roosevelt
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. Eisenhower
7. Lyndon Johnson
8. Harry Truman
9. James Polk
10. Barack Obama

I think Obama could move up to 6 or 7. History will be kind, like it was to Truman or LBJ.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 10:10:30 AM »

Worse than, say, Hitler, Stalin or Pol Pot? k sure.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 12:38:17 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2010, 12:44:10 PM by pbrower2a »

There's no cheap land to buy anywhere that could expand America by the scale of the Louisiana Purchase.  
If this is your reason for putting Jefferson so high, why isnt Andrew Johnson in the top 10 for purchasing Alaska?

Alaska was practically worthless for thirty years.

What really bad stuff did Fillmore do?[/quote]

Fugitive Slave Act. Running on the bigoted (anti-immigrant, anti-Catholic) Know-Nothing ticket in 1856.

With Harding and Grant, the problem was that their cabinets were full of untrustworthy people who used public office as a means of enriching themselves.  
WillK

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 01:26:37 PM »

Alaska was practically worthless for thirty years. 

So?  I ask the question again: If the scale of the Louisiana purchase, much of which wasnt worth anything for years,  is the sole justification for putting Jefferson in the top rank, why not put Johnson next to him for Alaska?

Fugitive Slave Act.

Running on the bigoted (anti-immigrant, anti-Catholic) Know-Nothing ticket in 1856.

[/quote]

Fugitive Slave Act was an act of Congress, not an executive order; though it was part of an important sectional compromise achieved under Filmore. 

His appearance in the 1856 election was after his presidency -- I thought you knew of some really bad stuff he did as president; plus doesn't seem any worse that several other candidates running on bigoted ticket at other times.

Is that really what you consider bad stuff?  Compared to what has been done by a lot of other President's, seems weak justification for putting him at the bottom.

Full of?  Really?  I can think of a couple individuals at most.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 09:55:43 PM »

1. Reagan
2. Washington
3. Jefferson
4. Eisenhower
5. Nixon (yes Nixon)
yougo1000
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »

1. Lincoln
2. Kennedy (Family Member)
3. Reagan
4. Jefferson.
5. Washington
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 10:47:08 AM »

1. Washington
2. Lincoln
3. Reagan
4. FDR
5. T. Roosevelt
6. Kennedy
7. Wilson
8. Polk
9. LBJ
10. Jefferson
11. Eisenhower
12. McKinley
13. Ford
14. Bush I
15. Clinton
16. Arthur
17. B. Harrison
18. Monroe
19. Cleveland
20. Hayes
21. Garfield
22. Coolidge
23. Truman
24. Jackson
25. Madison
26. Nixon
27. JQ Adams
28. Hoover
29. Taylor
30. Taft
31. Adams
32. Obama
33. Bush II
34. Carter
35. Fillmore
36. Grant
37. Harding
38. Van Buren
39. W.H. Harrison
40. A. Johnson
41. Buchanan
42. Tyler
43. Pierce
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 12:16:42 PM »

What really bad stuff did Fillmore do?

You could argue that signing the Compromise of 1850 was a worse option than just letting the crisis come to a head then as Zachary Taylor had planned on doing.  That said, that's a completely hindsight-based case. 
WillK

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »

You could argue that signing the Compromise of 1850 was a worse option than just letting the crisis come to a head then as Zachary Taylor had planned on doing.  That said, that's a completely hindsight-based case. 

I suppose it depends on what one views as a good outcome.  If you think the union breaking up is a good outcome, then I suppose letting the crisis come to a head would be a better thing than achieving a compromise settlement.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 10:31:04 PM »

I suppose it depends on what one views as a good outcome.  If you think the union breaking up is a good outcome, then I suppose letting the crisis come to a head would be a better thing than achieving a compromise settlement.

There are an amount of ppl who would rather see the US divided up into sections. I'd like to see how well the blue states prospered without red states to pay for their welfare.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 11:44:25 PM »

I never thought I would see the day where someone loved both FDR and Reagan.

Anyway, I don't have very good first impressions of Obama, but it's way too early for me to actually rank him.  Ask me after he is out of office.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies