Will we see another (former) First Lady run for President within the next 100 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:45:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will we see another (former) First Lady run for President within the next 100 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: years?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Will we see another (former) First Lady run for President within the next 100  (Read 8100 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« on: May 20, 2010, 05:11:01 PM »
« edited: May 20, 2010, 05:43:19 PM by B-Rye »

By asking this question, I mean a First Lady OTHER than Hillary.

Yes
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 05:43:57 PM »

Hillary might yet become president, so maybe.

I doubt Laura or Michelle will try, though.

As for future contenders, who knows?

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. I meant a First Lady other than Hillary.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 03:21:20 PM »

Yep and for the first time in her adult life she'd be proud of her country. ^^

Nope, for the fourth time.

First time was when Obama won Wisconsin, second time was when Obama won the nomination, third time was when Obama won the Presidency.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 06:47:55 PM »

Hillary might yet become president, so maybe.

I doubt Laura or Michelle will try, though.

As for future contenders, who knows?

Didn't Laura Bush recently come out and say that she supported same-sex marriage and was pro-choice? I think that automatically eliminates her from getting the GOP nomination.

She could run for the Dem nomination.

Why, though? She will lose. Dems would vote against anyone named Bush.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 04:19:08 PM »

Yep and for the first time in her adult life she'd be proud of her country. ^^

Nope, for the fourth time.

First time was when Obama won Wisconsin, second time was when Obama won the nomination, third time was when Obama won the Presidency.

That will all be ancient history to most Americans outside the GOP grassroots base by the time she decides to run (assuming Barack Obama wins a second term), probably in 2020 or 2024.

She has done a good job of reinventing herself and improving her image since her husband won the White House. 

Forgotten until it's in every ad that year. You're forgetting how things like that scare people and rightfully so. Look at Kerry voting for the $87 billion before he voted against it. Obama saying we are not a Christian nation will hurt him next time when the GOP elects a social conservative unless it's Mitt Romney. Don't forget J-Wright and Ayers either.

Stop Spamming!
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 12:43:30 PM »

Hillary in 2012. Remember that meeting on a Saturday night between Hillary and Obama. I'm telling you it was either an agreement or Obama found a scandal that the Clintons couldn't overcome at that time.

Ya I beleive Hillary will run again also.

If Hilalry will run again, it certainly won't be in 2012, unless Obama's approvals are consistenly below 40%, which I don't see happening. Even the extremely unpopular Jimmy Carter managed to defeat Ted Kennedy in the Democratic priamries in 1980.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 03:01:59 PM »

Hillary in 2012. Remember that meeting on a Saturday night between Hillary and Obama. I'm telling you it was either an agreement or Obama found a scandal that the Clintons couldn't overcome at that time.

If Hilalry will run again, it certainly won't be in 2012, unless Obama's approvals are consistenly below 40%, which I don't see happening. Even the extremely unpopular Jimmy Carter managed to defeat Ted Kennedy in the Democratic priamries in 1980.

That's Ted Kennedy. Killing the girl by wrecking his CAW into the water wasn't going over well with the people. I don't care if Obama's numbers go back up to the upper 50's. Do not ever misunderestimate that woman's ambitions or intentions. I'm telling you she's dangerous.

And I'm telling you she won't run against Obama in 2012, barring some completely unanticipated circumstances. She might run for President again later on, but not in 2012.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 04:03:06 PM »

That's Ted Kennedy. Killing the girl by wrecking his CAW into the water wasn't going over well with the people. I don't care if Obama's numbers go back up to the upper 50's. Do not ever misunderestimate that woman's ambitions or intentions. I'm telling you she's dangerous.

And I'm telling you she won't run against Obama in 2012, barring some completely unanticipated circumstances. She might run for President again later on, but not in 2012.

She'd be 69 in 2016.

I know. That's the same age Reagan was when he was first elected. I'm not saying it's a guarantee she will run in 2016, but it's a possibility and much more likely than her running in 2012.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 06:46:10 PM »

She'd be 69 in 2016.

I know. That's the same age Reagan was when he was first elected. I'm not saying it's a guarantee she will run in 2016, but it's a possibility and much more likely than her running in 2012.

That's not a good comparison as far as age though and you know that. Reagan could've passed for a 40yo with how he acted.

No. It is a good camparison regarding age. He was a well-known politician at age 69. She will be a well-known politician at age 69. He won in a good environemnt for him. She can win in a good environment for her. And I don't think too many 40-year olds are senile.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 06:13:52 PM »

Served? No screwed this country, lol and there will never ever, ever be a Bush elected to anything again.

I agree on the latter possibly but the Bushes are the all American family.

Northeastern wealthy elitists? Hardly an all- american family. Do you honestly say this bs to try an anger people?

It's certainly angering you.

At first it did, until I realized some things about you, and now it doesnt. Its comical.

I wouldn't be too sure a Bush would never be elected again. Sure Bush Jr. really screwed up but Bush Sr. was pretty unpopular too and his son was elected just 8 years later. Some Bush in the future might rehabilitate the family legacy. And I agree with cpeeks that a multi-millionaire family of Northeastern elitists is not the typical American family.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 03:19:05 PM »

I've said it before, but Jeb will do much better than anyone thought.  He can win Florida, maybe Ohio, and beat Obama.  Heck, Hillary won primaries on her last name Clinton despite her so-called executive leadership experience as a Senator.  I think Jeb would be a far stronger presdential candidate.  We'll have to see how he does on the trail, but he has far stronger voter name recognition than Romney, since most voters outside of Michigan and Mass, have never heard of romney or don't care about him at all.

I can guarantee you Jeb won't win the 2012 GOP primaries or even run in 2012 for that matter.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 04:50:08 PM »

I think that Hillary and Michelle are the only viable FLOTUS-to-POTUS contenders. I think that Hillary will definatley run in 2016, and Michelle may do so as well, inducing another set of Obama/Clinton primaries.

As for future contenders? Who knows.

Michelle won't run in 2016. I seriously doubt she has what it takes to run at all, and even if she did, she would wait to run (just like Hillary did). I mean, even Hillary, with all her ambition, didn't run for President in 2000.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 04:50:47 PM »

So the first lady gets 8 years as First Lady and then another 8 years as President.  Sounds awesome to me!  16 years as co-President!  Nepotism is great.

How do you know the First Lady won't get four years as first Lady and four years as President?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »

I've said it before, but Jeb will do much better than anyone thought.  He can win Florida, maybe Ohio, and beat Obama.  Heck, Hillary won primaries on her last name Clinton despite her so-called executive leadership experience as a Senator.  I think Jeb would be a far stronger presdential candidate.  We'll have to see how he does on the trail, but he has far stronger voter name recognition than Romney, since most voters outside of Michigan and Mass, have never heard of romney or don't care about him at all.

I can guarantee you Jeb won't win the 2012 GOP primaries or even run in 2012 for that matter.

He'll probably wait until 2016 but he would be fairly old then.  How do you know for sure, have you talked to him?  If things go sour in 2010, then Jeb will be tempted to run.  It would be handed to him by the GOP.

I'm pretty certain Jeb won't run in 2012 because the economy will be recovering by that point and because most people will still remember his brother's horrible Presidency. Jeb had a good opportunity to win a Senate seat in Florida this year, but he decided not to run. His chances of winning the Presidency will be much smaller, and I doubt he would want to subject himself to the stresses of campaigning just to lose the nomination. Also, I'm not sure the GOP is very fond of dynasties. After two Bushes as President over the last 20 years, I think the GOP would want someone new to nominate. I mean, part of the reason why Obama beat Hillary is because many people wanted someone new to be the next Democratic President. In 2016, Jeb won't be that old (he'll be 63, just two years older than Hillary in 2008). However, by that point I think Jeb will leave politics completely and just focus more on his private life and career. Thus, I think it's unlikely Jeb will ever run for President. Jeb's best shot at the Oval Office would have been in 2000, had he won the Florida Governorship in 1994.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 03:52:20 PM »

He'll probably wait until 2016 but he would be fairly old then.  How do you know for sure, have you talked to him?  If things go sour in 2010, then Jeb will be tempted to run.  It would be handed to him by the GOP.

I'm pretty certain Jeb won't run in 2012 because the economy will be recovering by that point and because most people will still remember his brother's horrible Presidency. Jeb had a good opportunity to win a Senate seat in Florida this year, but he decided not to run. His chances of winning the Presidency will be much smaller, and I doubt he would want to subject himself to the stresses of campaigning just to lose the nomination. Also, I'm not sure the GOP is very fond of dynasties. After two Bushes as President over the last 20 years, I think the GOP would want someone new to nominate. I mean, part of the reason why Obama beat Hillary is because many people wanted someone new to be the next Democratic President. In 2016, Jeb won't be that old (he'll be 63, just two years older than Hillary in 2008). However, by that point I think Jeb will leave politics completely and just focus more on his private life and career. Thus, I think it's unlikely Jeb will ever run for President. Jeb's best shot at the Oval Office would have been in 2000, had he won the Florida Governorship in 1994.
Jeb didn't run for Senate because Senators rarely become president, and he would have difficulty running against Obama/Dem as a Senator in 2012 or 2016.  I think he would like the nomination even if he loses the general.  Romney wants the nomination and will probably lose the general election. But with Jeb, he can actually grind out the win by winning Swing States like Florida and Ohio.  It won't be a landslide, but GWB never got a landslide either.  There is anti-legacy/incumbent sentiment but name another popular 2 term governor?  Mitch and Haley and T-Paw are okay.  If he does forgo the Presidency, he would be an asset as VP in winning Florida, which is more positive than the other negatives.

Jodi Rell, John Hoeven, and Joe Manchin are all pretty popular two term Governors. So Jeb isn't the only one in that category. And VPs aren't typically picked because they can win a certain state--the last time that happened was when Dukakis picked Bensten in an effort to win Texas in 1988. They are typically picked to compensate for something that the President is lacking (experience, charisma, appeal to a particular group). To be honest, I think Jeb would be too toxic as a VP pick due to his last name alone. The eventual GOP nominee in 2012 would have many other reliable, conservative choices to pick from for VP, and thus I doubt Jeb would be the VP pick.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 01:30:57 AM »

Jeb didn't run for Senate because Senators rarely become president, and he would have difficulty running against Obama/Dem as a Senator in 2012 or 2016.  I think he would like the nomination even if he loses the general.  Romney wants the nomination and will probably lose the general election. But with Jeb, he can actually grind out the win by winning Swing States like Florida and Ohio.  It won't be a landslide, but GWB never got a landslide either.  There is anti-legacy/incumbent sentiment but name another popular 2 term governor?  Mitch and Haley and T-Paw are okay.  If he does forgo the Presidency, he would be an asset as VP in winning Florida, which is more positive than the other negatives.

Jodi Rell, John Hoeven, and Joe Manchin are all pretty popular two term Governors. So Jeb isn't the only one in that category. And VPs aren't typically picked because they can win a certain state--the last time that happened was when Dukakis picked Bensten in an effort to win Texas in 1988. They are typically picked to compensate for something that the President is lacking (experience, charisma, appeal to a particular group). To be honest, I think Jeb would be too toxic as a VP pick due to his last name alone. The eventual GOP nominee in 2012 would have many other reliable, conservative choices to pick from for VP, and thus I doubt Jeb would be the VP pick.
I would argue that the most essential quality of the VP is to help win the election, by winning his state and other swing states, and being an experienced politician capable of taking over in an emergency.  You are completely wrong that the Dukakis would win Texas over GHWBush who was actually from Texas and served as a congressman.  There was zero chance Bush would lose Texas.  The past winning VP have all won their home states - Biden, Cheney, Gore, Quayle, Bush, etc.  It would be foolish, futile, and a waste of campaign energy to pick a VP from an unwinnable state, unless there was no other qualified VP candidates.
In these close elections, its too risky to pick an unhelpful VP like Palin, Edwards, Lieberman, Kemp, etc.  Every state counts, unless you win in a blowout.  Otherwise, a VP is just a warm body.
Do you think people in Florida think Jeb is toxic?  Are they too dumb to tell the difference between Bush brothers and their Own governor?  I admit that nepotism is a risky move but Jeb has earned his job.  Jeb is a moderate and is married to a Mexican wife.  He will bring in Hispanic voters away from DEmocrats.  Dubya was a dumb cowboy who relied on Neo-con foreign policy.  Iraq is winding down and I think voters would not be anti-Iraq in 2012 like they were in 2008.  Smart independent voters will know that Jeb is not a Neo-con.

People in Florida don't think Jeb is toxic, but many people in other states might. A lot of voters are very stupid. They would just see "Bush" on the ballot and immediately think "bad." And Jeb is hardly a moderate--he pursued very conservative policies as Governor. Jeb's Latino wife might help a very small amount with Latino voters, but I don't think she will add more than a couple percent to the GOP at most. And most people right now dislike GWB for screwing over our economy, rather than for the Iraq War. Thus, if Jeb is the nominee (or even the VP nominee), Obama can say "Bush screwed over our economy. I began to fix it. Reelect me, and the economy will continue to improve. Elect the Republicans again and the economy will go straight downhill the same way it did last time." And frankly, that's a very convincing argument to many voters.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies